gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:40:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music Theory Book  (Read 2395 times)
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2006, 04:40:05 PM »

One of the posters in the recent thread about the many spectacular chord changes in BB songs, and oh, my, aren't there a bunch, asked about books on music theory.  One I would recommend for a person with some working knowledge of chords and scales and presumably plays a guitar or keyboard at some level, is "Tunesmith" by Jimmy Webb, yes, that Jimmy Webb, published by Hyperion (www.HyperionBooks.com).  While it is a book covering the broad spectrum of songwriting, from words and verse structure to the business side of the cradt, the several chapters on music composition were very helpful to me.  I've been a player since the 60's on drums, guitar, piano and bass (and perhaps even sax 35 years later), primarily self taught with a good knowledge of chords and scales.  But, besides not ever becoming a particularly fast sight reader due to lack of practice, there were some things that just stymied me, or thngs I never even thought about. Webb's book was very accessible in its approach, to the point of providing a few of those magnificient "AHA" moments, i.e., "Hey, all right, I knew that was the way that worked!" or "Wow, is that all you have to do"?  (Although admittedly, there are some of Brian's songs I've tried to dissect for 40 years and I'm not sure even Jimmy himself could figure them out!) He explains everything very well and before you know it, hey, you really understand music (and a lot of stuff you thought you knew has even been confirmed- or not!).  For an extra bonus, you even get a few "Only Brian Wilson" type anecdotes.  Anyway, it's a good tool that helped me, and very interesting to read.  Thought this may be of use to someone  Thanks, Norm C.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:03:49 PM »

Ah thank you very much. I was the poster who mentioned a theory book and i've since bought a new one. The one I have even quotes Jimmy Webb's book as another excellent source for material on the subject.

I've been reading my book thoroughly up to now and have learnt TONS already and it's all very exciting.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:33:55 PM »

I read Tunesmith a few years ago and recommend it very highly.  He has interesting things to say about how songs are structured in terms of storytelling and impact, and even diagrams them.  If I remember correctly, he lists "Don't Talk" among his choices for the greatest compositions.

My favorite story was about Sammy Davis, Jr. throwing him out of a hotel room meeting and saying "come back when you've got some happier stuff!"

(Hope I got that right)!

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:50:18 PM »

Right on both counts (Sammy Davis and Don't Talk). For another take on Sammy's complaint, at one point Webb says, "Try writing a song in a minor key and see how far you get" and  "How about a really sad polka?"  Couple of classic Van Dykes in there, too. One thing I liked about Tunesmith is that while there is a lot of technical language about I's and V's and tones and voicings and diminisheds and transitory modulations and  flatted augmented fourths (OK I made that up) , etc., if you know anything at all about music, the way he writes it is all very easy to follow, not text-book grade, test-on-Friday style at all.  He doesn't teach you "how to play the piano" but sure gives you some good lessons on it! I know there are some other good books out there; this is one I really like for the reasons said. You can sit right down at the piano and see - or hear - for yourself what he's talking about.  Which my wife wishes I wouldn't do during dinner.    Norm C.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx