gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:58:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are There Any BB Songs Where Brian Sings All The Parts?  (Read 8379 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »

Thought Al is in the Winter Symphony mix.
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »

One problem I have with theories about Brian singing all the parts on any pre-16-track song is that surely, in most cases we'd have additional bounces to tape.  Which is of course possible, but not desirable for a producer if it can be avoided.  For instance, if Brian did a demo of WIBN with all the parts, at its thickest, WIBN has what 6 bgs and the lead?  If a lead is double tracked then you're already using 3 tracks of an 8-track, leaving 5 to play around with.

On IWFTD, some of the bgs are double-tracked as well, so there would have had to be internal bouncing to accommodate everything.  So I feel like there would probably be singers other than Brian on that.

I mean, he probably used Bruce on K.O.M.A. for the same reason, in that case, wanting double-tracked texture on a limited track situation--so he and Bruce sang both their parts on the same track.

Just something to have in consideration.

This is certainly a consideration, and I thought about it. Still, with eight tracks, minus one for the backing -- I'm thinking "Salt Lake City" here -- and four- or even five-part doubled harmony, the required bouncing wouldn't be too insane. Certainly not something you'd wanna do every day, obviously.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »

A correspondent of mine told me that, during the Pet Sounds and Smile eras, Brian would often make vocal tracks of him on all the parts as a reference for the rest of the Boys.

Can anyone back me up on this? Do any bootlegs exist?
Theres an inference that Brian did that with "I'm Waiting for the Day," but the jury is still out.
Higher bits definitely sound like Brian, but since when could anyone other than Mike hit those low notes?

Bass vocal on unreleased BB version of "Shortenin' Bread" - Brian.  Grin

I've just done some basic tweaking on "Wipe Out", and if you Oops it, then filter what's left and add a little subtle EQ, to these ears the following points emerge:

All the bvs are Brian. Fact.

The bass vocal - whoever it is (and I still say it's Brian), it sure ain't Mike in 1986/87: the tone and timbre is all wrong. Mike has a very recognisable bass voice: this is not it. Compare it with his work on "Somewhere Near Japan" - not close.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:41:17 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »

For me, the bass vocal sounds exactly like Mike's.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »

A correspondent of mine told me that, during the Pet Sounds and Smile eras, Brian would often make vocal tracks of him on all the parts as a reference for the rest of the Boys.

Can anyone back me up on this? Do any bootlegs exist?
Theres an inference that Brian did that with "I'm Waiting for the Day," but the jury is still out.
Higher bits definitely sound like Brian, but since when could anyone other than Mike hit those low notes?

Those bass notes aren't very low, though.

Brian, even prior to "the change" in the mid 70s, could pull off a pretty good bass vocal. I don't think Mike is doing them on this song.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »

Brian actually has quite a powerful bass register. His work on OCA is pretty impressive -- listen to the low notes in Summer in Monterey.

I was listening to Wipe Out this last week for the same reason -- and yeah, the bass could definitely have been Brian. The sound isn't quite Mike.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »

So what we can infer from this is, while his voice was still good in the 60's, he could pretty much make it do whatever he wanted?

That's awesome.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:53:17 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »

I'd say he could make it do nearly everything he wanted through the early to mid 90s. The second bout of smoking caused some problems for a few years afterward, and now he's a bit aged. But certainly in the 80s and the early 90s, Brian could multi track to beat the band.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »

My wife thinks  it's Brian also, but that there was a bit of "doctoring". Wouldn't surprise me though, as it wouldn't be the first time (Too Much Sugar and such).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »

Definitely just brian on Da-Da.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »

I could swear it's Mike doing the "wa wa hoo wa"s.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »

Me too, and dammit, I'm RIGHT !!!  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »

Second (or third) that.  Mike does the "wa wa hoo wa"s on "Love To Say Da-Da".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »

Put me in the "That's Brian, dammit" camp. Sounds absolutely nothing like Mike and everything like I'd imagine a 1967 Brian singing a bass vocal to sound.

If not Brian, then someone else who is not Mike.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 02:01:04 PM »

Put me in the "That's Brian, dammit" camp. Sounds absolutely nothing like Mike and everything like I'd imagine a 1967 Brian singing a bass vocal to sound.

I agree, I've always thought that was Brian...even though it's a low part, it doesn't have Mike's nasal quality to it.  Brian's "Don't Talk" demo is more than enough to prove that he could pull off a great bass vocal back then, and given that he did a lot of work on Smile by himself while the Boys were on tour, I can very easily see Brian just going in and doing it. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »

I agree, I've always thought that was Brian...even though it's a low part, it doesn't have Mike's nasal quality to it.  Brian's "Don't Talk" demo is more than enough to prove that he could pull off a great bass vocal back then, and given that he did a lot of work on Smile by himself while the Boys were on tour, I can very easily see Brian just going in and doing it. 

Mike doesn't typically sound nasally on his low (bass) parts.  Come to think of it, I don't think anyone does.  So that's not a good criteria to go by.  Brian could definitely have sung the part, but I believe it's Mike.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »

You know...could it be Mike AND Brian on Da-Da? The end sounds like 2 voices instead of the one throughout most of the song.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx