gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:52:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are There Any BB Songs Where Brian Sings All The Parts?  (Read 8210 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »

Just wondering.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:21:58 PM »

Well, discounting the obvious (i.e. songs like "Caroline, No" or "Don't Talk..."), all the voices on "The Surfer Moon" sound awfully similar to me.

Of the seven vocal tracks on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", six are Brian.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »

Well, discounting the obvious (i.e. songs like "Caroline, No" or "Don't Talk..."), all the voices on "The Surfer Moon" sound awfully similar to me.

Of the seven vocal tracks on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", six are Brian.

Which part is not Brian on that track? I thought they were all him...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:08:10 AM »

Which part is not Brian on that track? I thought they were all him...

Sorry, misremembered it slightly.

The 8-track sheet from Columbia looks like this (all spellings, etc. as on sheet):

1. Bryan - chorus
2. Bryan -  lead no. 1
3. vocal group no. 1
4. orchestra (i.e. instrumental track - AGD)
5. Bryan - lead no. 2
6  Bryan - chorus
7. vocal group no. 2
8. Bryan - no. 1 - echo

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 04:55:38 AM »

I think "Transcendental Meditation" is all Brian.

Although not strictly songs, "Unused Backrounds" from "Don't Talk..." and the radio spot for KOMA are all Brian.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 06:21:06 AM »

Side comment - I always thought Carl Wilson sang all the vocals on the song "Maybe I Don't Know". 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 06:28:47 AM »

Beyond the instrumental track, I believe Brian sings all vocals on the "Break Away" demo (Endless Harmony).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 09:09:56 AM »

Side comment - I always thought Carl Wilson sang all the vocals on the song "Maybe I Don't Know". 

No, Brian and Bruce are heavily featured in the backgrounds.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 10:36:14 AM »

A correspondent of mine told me that, during the Pet Sounds and Smile eras, Brian would often make vocal tracks of him on all the parts as a reference for the rest of the Boys.

Can anyone back me up on this? Do any bootlegs exist?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »

A correspondent of mine told me that, during the Pet Sounds and Smile eras, Brian would often make vocal tracks of him on all the parts as a reference for the rest of the Boys.

Theres an inference that Brian did that with "I'm Waiting for the Day," but the jury is still out.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »

Theres an inference that Brian did that with "I'm Waiting for the Day," but the jury is still out.

Isn't there's a demo of BW doing all the vocal parts on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" over the full backing track?   And of course the afore-mentioned "Break Away" demo (later period, but same design).
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »

Isn't there's a demo of BW doing all the vocal parts on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" over the full backing track?   And of course the afore-mentioned "Break Away" demo (later period, but same design).
Craig, do you think Brian's doing most of the bvs on "I'm Waiting for the Day"? To these ears, there's a certain quality to the bvs that most other BB recordings don't have, I tend to think it's Brian multi-tracking himself.

EDIT: Just listened to the stack-o-vocals verison and the bass line sounds a bit like Mike, and I'm thinking that Dennis was doing they "NO!" and "AHH-AHH!"s on the fade. Make of this what you will...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:59:10 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »

There are a lot of folks who feel that all the vocals on "Wipe Out" are Brian.  (My opinion is the bass vocals are Mike, but I've never listened that carefully)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »

Td, yes I've long thought it's Brian on all of "IWFTD".  I'd have to listen to see if I agree on the possible Dennis and Mike parts. 

Adam, I've always thought the bass vocal on "WO" was Mike (with Brian on all the other parts).  Others disagree.
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »

Isn't Brian singing all of the parts on the demo of "In My Room" from the GV Box Set?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 03:16:50 PM »

A bit of a cheat, but I'd bet Brian sings everything except for Carl and Al's chorus leads on "In My Car."
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 04:15:47 PM »

Although not strictly songs, "Unused Backrounds" from "Don't Talk..." and the radio spot for KOMA are all Brian.

I'm pretty sure that the three parts of KOMA are Brian doubling with Bruce for the two high parts, and Mike for the low part.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »

Beyond the instrumental track, I believe Brian sings all vocals on the "Break Away" demo (Endless Harmony).

Why would he sing the instrumental track?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »

Because he was that good of a vocalist, obviously!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »

Higher bits definitely sound like Brian, but since when could anyone other than Mike hit those low notes?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »

Because he was that good of a vocalist, obviously!

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 07:11:21 AM »

Higher bits definitely sound like Brian, but since when could anyone other than Mike hit those low notes?

How about Brian on his self-titled solo album?  There's lots of "Mike-like" bass parts there that Brian covered.  And personally, the timbre of the low parts on "IWFTD" just sound more like Brian than Mike.  IMO, there's a few of those on "Wouldn't It Be Nice", as well...if you compare the finished version to the afore-mentioned "Brian-only demo" version, some of those parts sound identical...even though Mike DID sing on the final version, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just carried-over some of those Brian parts to the final product.
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 09:04:45 AM »

I've been bopped for this opinion in the past -- one therefore wonders why I'm bothering now -- but I still swear that the entire a cappella section of "Salt Lake City" is Brian. (Assume defensive crouch.)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »

One problem I have with theories about Brian singing all the parts on any pre-16-track song is that surely, in most cases we'd have additional bounces to tape.  Which is of course possible, but not desirable for a producer if it can be avoided.  For instance, if Brian did a demo of WIBN with all the parts, at its thickest, WIBN has what 6 bgs and the lead?  If a lead is double tracked then you're already using 3 tracks of an 8-track, leaving 5 to play around with.

On IWFTD, some of the bgs are double-tracked as well, so there would have had to be internal bouncing to accommodate everything.  So I feel like there would probably be singers other than Brian on that.

I mean, he probably used Bruce on K.O.M.A. for the same reason, in that case, wanting double-tracked texture on a limited track situation--so he and Bruce sang both their parts on the same track.

Just something to have in consideration.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 10:24:30 AM »

Blue Christmas.  Passing By.

And is Winter Symphony all Brian?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx