gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:04:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "New" Pet Sounds  (Read 4895 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:29:56 AM »

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/blake%20illustrates%20for%20beach%20boys_20_02_2006

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:33:26 AM »

Whoa, that's something! It'll be neat to see what he comes up with. Hopefully it does it justice.

Watch out for snakes!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 09:30:15 AM »

Sounds neat.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:34:45 AM »

So is this a confirmation that we're getting a 40th anniversary limited edition Pet Sounds?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:39:29 AM »

Let's hope not.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:41:41 AM »

Oh yeah, it's coming. There's a space for it the BBs scetion in HMV. Says "Pet Sounds 40th anniversary edition - Coming June 6th"
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 09:44:19 AM »

Let's hope not.

You don't have to buy it.

I'm glad to hear it.  I would buy a new pet sounds every week if they came out with one. 
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »

Let's hope not.

You don't have to buy it.

Yes, I do...
Jason
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 11:16:42 AM »

I still don't know why we need another Pet Sounds. Unless there's significant remastering done, I probably won't be buying it.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 11:18:50 AM »

I still don't know why we need another Pet Sounds.

If publicity from the new release reaches one person who otherwise would have missed the album, it's worth it.
Jason
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 11:20:33 AM »

How can you miss it nowadays? It shows up in virtually every album countdown and on virtually every television show about popular music. How much more promotion does it need? There's a difference between promotion and saturation.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »

Consider me the Gideons of Pet Sounds.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 11:29:42 AM »

I think the blueboarders would disagree.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »

How can you miss it nowadays? It shows up in virtually every album countdown and on virtually every television show about popular music. How much more promotion does it need? There's a difference between promotion and saturation.
But the only people that care about that are "music people" anyway, who would've heard it to begin with. Like I'm sure people in the baking world know what the world's best cake is because it's in all the baking magazines, but do we know about it? No.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 02:07:18 PM »

Mmmmm...cake.....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 02:08:20 PM »

I love Peter Blake, so I'll be buying it JUST FOR THAT.

His cover for GIOMH was the best thing about the album -- and this from a guy who doesn't dislike the album.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 02:26:44 PM »

I wonder if Blake's art will draw from the classic Green/Yellow/zoo animals theme, or if it will be competely removed from that.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 02:41:09 PM »

I was hoping it would be pics from the tours following the release of Pet Sounds...I can definitely see a drawing of Carl on the lead during GOK...word!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 02:43:56 PM »

If publicity from the new release reaches one person who otherwise would have missed the album, it's worth it.

Got to agree here.  As I posted elsewhere, I responded to the call in one of the eighties books to take Pet Sounds to dinner parties in lieu of a bottle of wine, etc.  I usually don't foist my musical taste on people unless asked, but I gave away about five or six copies on vinyl and (later) a few on CD.  And most of my longtime friends and relatives who didn't get a copy from me directly have ended up buying a copy at some point anyway out of curiosity, and with a few it's taken serious root.

One of my brothers sent me an e-mail a few years ago and said that he had pulled out the CD late at night and listened several straight times and had finally "gotten" it- he could see what I was obsessing over.  He ended up flipping over SMiLE and turned several of his friends onto it.  That's how it works.

Spring of 1990 and all that publicity was a renaissance period for Pet Sounds and Brian, and more than doubled the number of us who are out there .  I bet most of you here were caught in that wave or its distant backwash from about 1990 to 1995.  2004 was the next big wave and we're riding that one now.  (I came in on the second wave around 1974).

Brian's music is not for absolutely everyone on earth, but it would be a tragedy if anyone it is for didn't get turned on to it.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
SurferGirl7
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 02:47:14 PM »

Roll Eyes

I am already broke enough from them.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx