gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Setlist  (Read 13362 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2006, 04:01:41 AM »

I never even knew until I read Jon Stebbins' book that the BB's (well, at least Dennis and the BB touring band) performed a couple of songs from "Pacific Ocean Blue" at a few BB shows in 1977. I can't remember the titles for sure, but I think one of them was "What's Wrong."

Are you really talking 'bout other songs as "River Song", that they did live? I thought Dennis wasn't allowed to play his own song. Or was it that he wasn't allowed to play his own solo-songs while on the same stage as the BBs?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2006, 04:31:17 AM »

I never even knew until I read Jon Stebbins' book that the BB's (well, at least Dennis and the BB touring band) performed a couple of songs from "Pacific Ocean Blue" at a few BB shows in 1977. I can't remember the titles for sure, but I think one of them was "What's Wrong."

Are you really talking 'bout other songs as "River Song", that they did live? I thought Dennis wasn't allowed to play his own song. Or was it that he wasn't allowed to play his own solo-songs while on the same stage as the BBs?

I don't know how it was managed legally, but perhaps because by that point in time the BBs were signed to Caribou as well as Dennis.  That would seem to negate the prohibition clause.  And yes, Dennis reportedly performed two "POB" songs live at a couple of shows in Canada.  I think the other one was "You And I", but can't remember.  Eric's setlist archive has a setlist from one of these shows, so we can all look that up. 

Lastly, regarding the "Midnight Special" performance...I'm pretty sure "Rock 'n' Roll Music" is the real thing, totally live (look at Dennis' drumming, Bruce's electric piano playing and the way Brian gooses the bass at one point).  I think it'd be too difficult to mime to that stuff later.  Especially for Dennis, who was clearly high at the time. 

C-Man
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2006, 04:41:29 AM »

Yeah, here it is: http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/8-77a.html

They did "What's wrong" and "Friday night" !!  Did any tape of that show surface ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »

Yeah, here it is: http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/8-77a.html

They did "What's wrong" and "Friday night" !!  Did any tape of that show surface ?
I would love to hear a tape of that.  Unfortunately I lost pretty much all the e-mail addresses of the contributors that sent in setlists from 1998-2002 (crosswinds.net lost ALL my e-mails).  That includes Russ, the contributor for that setlist.  From what I remember he had tapes of the show that he contributed, but I may be wrong.

Good vibes,
Eric
Jason
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2006, 05:30:09 PM »

Someone should start a hub for sharing these recordings.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »

Someone should start a hub for sharing these recordings.

And not even remotely mention the location on the board.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2006, 05:19:06 AM »

Of course not. Smiley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »

Another was a 1997 show that had "When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)".  That kind of kills that long-standing myth that WIGU was never done live between that one mid-60's TV appearance and 2002.

For what it's worth, The Beach Boys performed "When I Grow Up" at their Oct. 27th, 1978 show in Ann Arbor, MI.

EDIT: Erroneous info - After consulting the setlist, I realized WIGU was not performed that night. My apologies - RR.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:27:36 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2006, 12:20:34 PM »

Another was a 1997 show that had "When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)".  That kind of kills that long-standing myth that WIGU was never done live between that one mid-60's TV appearance and 2002.

For what it's worth, The Beach Boys performed "When I Grow Up" at their Oct. 27th, 1978 show in Ann Arbor, MI.
That's really cool!  Do you have a setlist from that show that you'd like to send in to the setlist archive?  It definitely would be one of a kind, at least on the archive.

Good vibes,
Eric
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2006, 01:55:23 PM »

That's really cool!  Do you have a setlist from that show that you'd like to send in to the setlist archive?  It definitely would be one of a kind, at least on the archive.

Good vibes,
Eric

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the "set list archive" exactly and how do I send one in? I'm posting this publicly in case others wish to be enlightened as well.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »

Good vibes,
Eric

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the "set list archive" exactly and how do I send one in? I'm posting this publicly in case others wish to be enlightened as well.

I run the Beach Boys Setlist Archive, which can be found at:

http://fun_fun_fun.tripod.com/setlists.html

862 setlists posted so far...with about 10 waiting to be posted, when I have time...

I will gladly take big batches of setlists too!  All setlists that are complete and correctly sequenced will be posted.  If you have a setlist from an underrepresented era (like the early 60's) I can bend the rules a little.

My e-mail address can be found under "Contribute A Setlist" on that page.

Good vibes,
ERic
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2006, 04:25:57 PM »

Thanks Eric - I'll send you the set list from Oct. 27th, 1978.

And now for an embarassing realization: After consulting my handwritten set list, I now see that "When I Grow Up" was not performed at the show. Sorry about the misinformation; memories do tend to blur and alter after 30 years. Oddities that did show up around this time were "Country Pie", "Cruisin'", "All This Is That" and "Everyone's In Love With You".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx