gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681625 Posts in 27648 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 21, 2024, 06:12:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Worst Beach Boys Cover  (Read 8105 times)
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »

As much as I love them, the Beach Boys' music is ripe for horrendous, corny covers.  In the spirit of the American Idol finale tonight, I present to you my nominee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAf4xBRawVU

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:43:38 PM »

As much as I love them, the Beach Boys' music is ripe for horrendous, corny covers.  In the spirit of the American Idol finale tonight, I present to you my nominee:

Not only is that bad, but it's a case of I-don't-care-what-I'm-singing-but-I'm-tryin'-my-best-to-look-badass. Bleh!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »

I see your AI video and raise you The Hoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMeGKV0yEyA

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »

Sounds like the Hoff can triple-track himself spontaneously...
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:31:22 PM »

i thought you meant the worst cover performed BY the Beach Boys... in which case I'd probably go with "Rock'n'Roll Music" though there are plenty to choose from. I've never been a fan of "I Can Hear Music" and "Never Learn Not To Love" certainly qualifies. Mike singing "Be My Baby" has a special place in hell too.

as for others covering the Beach Boys...
probably this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKYhDxeAEfQ
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:45:52 PM »

i thought you meant the worst cover performed BY the Beach Boys... in which case I'd probably go with "Rock'n'Roll Music" though there are plenty to choose from. I've never been a fan of "I Can Hear Music" and "Never Learn Not To Love" certainly qualifies. Mike singing "Be My Baby" has a special place in hell too.

Really? I LOVE I Can Hear Music - and there are plenty of covers they did that weren't as good. How about "School Days", "A Casual Look", "Louie, Louie", "In the Still of the Night" and I could probably name at least a dozen others that aren't as good as "I Can Hear Music"! And I actually quite like Never Learn Not To Love - I mean as a song it isn't the best but production wise I think it's pretty cool!

Anyway, I have to agree that that American Idol performance was pretty woeful. I mean of course it is slightly better than say the Surfsiders - but the difference is that these people on Idol actually think they're really good!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 12:25:47 AM »

After re-watching that 5-year old AI performance, I take back every time I said that they should have a Beach Boys themed night...please don't!

I couldn't even watch that Hoff video halfway through.

My vote for the worst cover is the version of Darlin' that is on the Smiles Vibes and Harmony tribute disc.  Can't remember who did it, but it almost ruined one of my favorite BB songs of all time for me.  I had to promise myself to never listen to it again, lest I destroy the way I remember it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcC5Ztwmir4

A double! Gag inducing video as well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:43:18 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcC5Ztwmir4

A double! Gag inducing video as well.

I thought the gospel choir on the middle eight was awesome! The rest, meh although I have to admit I want proper recording of it, for competists sake.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:19:17 PM »

ok!

A Mike and Bruce Show version do it for ya? Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkW8fIrJmb0

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:20:51 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Synth Wash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »

No YouTube video for this, but Kevin Max's "Help Me Rhonda" is unlistenable. And that's from my favorite BB cover album ever, Making God Smile.

"Holds and tickles and hugs out the night"
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 05:51:05 AM »

No YouTube video for this, but Kevin Max's "Help Me Rhonda" is unlistenable. And that's from my favorite BB cover album ever, Making God Smile.

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. Also Ricky Martin on the PBS special was terrible. The thing I hate the most, is when somebody points me to the direction of say Idol, and says that I will like it because I am a BB fan. No! Because I am a true BB fan, I hate half assed covers. If they are inspired, like most of the stuff on the PBS special, then it is fine.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »

Jesus f***, that was absolutely horrendous and offensive.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 12:18:59 AM »

I see your AI video and raise you The Hoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMeGKV0yEyA

Jeez, how much face work has he had??!!?? his eyes look really tiny and weird.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 03:05:31 AM »

The AI has to be the outright winner of the YouTubes – at least Ricci M and The Hoff are mostly in-tune; if only their egos could be voted off ... the AI contestants couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag and represent everything that's wrong about talent contests (the arrangements suck too...) though some of them sound better than Stamos!

“We live in divisive times.”
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »

How about Mr. Moon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f29jcB1bZLI
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »

What is the big friggin' issue with Stamos all of the time? He sang one song on a Beach Boys album. I've heard way worse covers than that one. Johnny Rivers' "Help Me Rhonda" comes to mind, and that was released on a 45 and actually played on radio stations. Neil Diamond's version of "God Only Knows" is another that is no better or worse than the Stamos version of "Forever". How about David Cassidy's version of "Darlin'" or his brother Shaun's version of "It's Like Heaven"? This knocking Stamos stuff is really getting old. I'm really beginning to think it is "Stamos Envy". An actual Beach Boys fanatic, like all of us, who actually got to do what only we can/could ever dream of doing; recording and playing on stage with The Beach Boys. Come on guys, pick on someone your own size. ;-)

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »

As a longtime Stamos-backer, I applaud this post. Sure, Full House was fucktarded. But is that a reason to hate the guy? You're aware it was a job, right? That Uncle Jesse is a character? If you're going to hate someone from those days, hate Dave Coulier. I know I do. f*** you, Dave Coulier.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 01:12:45 PM »

My kids LOVE Full House. Then again, they are only 8 and 5. It's right down their alley. And funnily enough, yesterday was the wedding episode where he sang 'Forever'.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 02:02:34 PM »

And funnily enough, yesterday was the wedding episode where he sang 'Forever'.
Didn't they work that song into pretty much every episode, one way or another? That's how I remember it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 03:44:18 AM »

And funnily enough, yesterday was the wedding episode where he sang 'Forever'.
Didn't they work that song into pretty much every episode, one way or another? That's how I remember it.

I don't know, as I try not to watch too many episodes. Although to be honest, with the sh*t that's out there for kids to watch, I'd rather let them watch Full House as much as they want.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »

I think the issue with Stamos is why that song? The BBs had any number of bad songs that anyone with real musical talent could try to improve on.

Same for Keith Moon, the Hoff, Glen Campbell's 'GOK's'. All ripe for the picking.

If Stamos wants cred from most BB fans...re-record MIU!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »

One of my favorite pieces of writing of all time is Andrew Doe's two sentence review of "(Remember) Walking In The Sand" from SIP:

"One of the worst cover versions of anything, by anybody, anywhere, at any time.  There is absolutely nothing about this track to commend."

Yup.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »

Another point. Stamos sings in the same vocal style as Dennis did. I wouldn't have had a problem with him doing 'Holy Man' if Taylor Hawkins hadn't got the gig first.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 08:27:25 PM »

Another point. Stamos sings in the same vocal style as Dennis did. I wouldn't have had a problem with him doing 'Holy Man' if Taylor Hawkins hadn't got the gig first.

I can't give Stamos that much credit personally, the passion and heart when Dennis gave an all out performance is something Stamos can't match style with.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx