gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:19:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our Team  (Read 4785 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »

Really learning to love this song. Reminds me of the early stuff in the good, funny ways. Is it just Al, Brian and Denny (with the girls in the background) on this one?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure Mike is in there somewhere

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:17:38 AM »

Really learning to love this song. Reminds me of the early stuff in the good, funny ways. Is it just Al, Brian and Denny (with the girls in the background) on this one?

Not Dennis - this was cut at MIU, remember (12/4/77)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »

so who's singing the kinda flat middle harmony on the end of the chorus "...still number OOOONNNe"? Sounds exactly like the weird Denny idea of harmony.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:13:44 AM »

so who's singing the kinda flat middle harmony on the end of the chorus "...still number OOOONNNe"? Sounds exactly like the weird Denny idea of harmony.

That's Brian.

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »

That's not Dennis singing "... for the girls in the stands and all of our fans" Huh? Sure as hell sounds more like him than Brian. However, their voices were rather similar at the time. Just my ears playing tricks on me, I guess. It sounds like a line Dennis would sing.

Dennis does have a co-writing credit on the tune... but so does the rest of the group.

EDIT:
Listening to it now, the only voices I can place at the forefront are multi-tracked Alan and Brian.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:26:24 AM by JaredLekites » Logged

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:47:59 AM »

Once again, it's Brian - there's an adenoidal quality that Dennis never had. Compare his vocal for "My Diane", recorded at roughtly the same time.

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »

On the film made during the recording of "Our Team" (called incidentally "Our Team") Dennis is nowhere to be seen. He is only seen on the segment featuring his vocal recording for "My Diane"
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »

Once again, it's Brian - there's an adenoidal quality that Dennis never had. Compare his vocal for "My Diane", recorded at roughtly the same time.
Yup, no doubt about it.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 02:49:29 PM »

That's Brian.
Even though all signs point to you being correct Andrew, it still sounds EXACTLY like Dennis during the end of the chorus. With all the different vocal things happening isn't  it maybe possible Denny jumps in there?  The weirdest part is it sounds like the out-of-tune dennis from 15 years earlier, like how he sounds at the end of 'So Young', but I guess Brian's voice and ear were pretty flat during this era, so...
Definitely BW on 'the girls in the stands' though.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »

That's Brian.
Even though all signs point to you being correct Andrew, it still sounds EXACTLY like Dennis during the end of the chorus. With all the different vocal things happening isn't  it maybe possible Denny jumps in there?  The weirdest part is it sounds like the out-of-tune dennis from 15 years earlier, like how he sounds at the end of 'So Young', but I guess Brian's voice and ear were pretty flat during this era, so...

According to the AFM sheets, Dennis did pay a flying visit to MIU, as he's listed  as playing drums on a early session for "She's Got Rhythm". The sessions for "SGR" are dated 11/7, 11/14 & 12/3. "Our Team" was recorded 11/15 & 12/4, thus it is unlikely in the extreme that Dennis was on any vocal session for it. And aside from that - it doesn't sound like Dennis circa 1977. To say it might be him on the basis that "it sounds like the out-of-tune Dennis from 15 years earlier", that is 1962, is quite the silliest thing I've read on this board this year. Come ON ! That's like saying it can't be Brian on Love You because he doesn't sound the way he did on Surfin' Safari.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:01:53 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »

That's Brian.
Even though all signs point to you being correct Andrew, it still sounds EXACTLY like Dennis during the end of the chorus. With all the different vocal things happening isn't  it maybe possible Denny jumps in there?  The weirdest part is it sounds like the out-of-tune dennis from 15 years earlier, like how he sounds at the end of 'So Young', but I guess Brian's voice and ear were pretty flat during this era, so...

According to the AFM sheets, Dennis did pay a flying visit to MIU, as he's listed  as playing drums on a early session for "She's Got Rhythm". The sessions for "SGR" are dated 11/7, 11/14 & 12/3. "Our Team" was recorded 11/15 & 12/4, thus it is unlikely in the extreme that Dennis was on any vocal session for it. And aside from that - it doesn't sound like Dennis circa 1977. To say it might be him on the basis that "it sounds like the out-of-tune Dennis from 15 years earlier", that is 1962, is quite the silliest thing I've read on this board this year. Come ON ! That's like saying it can't be Brian on Love You because he doesn't sound the way he did on Surfin' Safari.
What can I say, I'm a silly guy. I was trying to say you must be right and the evidence for that is that it sounds like Denny from way back, therefore it can't be the then contemporary Dennis, DESPITE that fact. Did that make sense?
Anyway, point conceded.

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, this thread inspired me to give it a real good listen and the only voices I hear on this track (barring the background cheers) belong to Alan and Brian. Alan is really good at overdubbing and harmonizing with himself (as he did for most of "Come Go With Me"). Brian sounds like he's really getting into the song on this one; a rare moment of joy in one of his unhappiest years.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »

In the Our Team documentary, Brian seems at the top of his game, directing people and just seeming to have a great time overall. There is a nice scene with Brian goofing around with Mike. It seems like they're all having a good time. Except Carl, who looks depressed and bummed out throughout the film.

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 12:27:37 AM »

This documentary sounds awesome!  If only I knew where to view it.  Guess I'll have to Ponder More...

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »

The highlight is when you get to hear "Mike Come Back To LA".  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »

This documentary sounds awesome!  If only I knew where to view it.  Guess I'll have to Ponder More...

Said doc is, for some odd reason, not too easy to, ah, access. With one exception, all copies I've seen over the course of some 25-30 years were, at best, poor 3rd/4th generation copies that looked like an animated cubist painting. Someone can pick me up on this if I'm wrong, but I think it was established that the clip in it of Dennis doing a vocal for "My Diane" was actually shot in Seattle's Kaye Smith studio, December 13th 1977.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 01:00:04 AM »

The quality on my copy sucks. The audio during the concert scenes sounds like a terrible audience tape buried in distortion and hiss.

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 10:15:25 AM »

I love this song--should've been on MIU for sure. Why two covers and yet not this great song?
Jason
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »

"We look like we know what we're doin' when they ask us to play, only takes two or three minutes to warm up and give it our best and beat all the rest..."

The older you get and the more bullshit you learn about the Beach Boys, this lyric is probably the ultimate irony.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »

I thought Dennis played those awesome drums on Peggy Sue.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »

Id LOVE to see this documentary. Not on YouTube or anything??
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »

I thought Dennis played those awesome drums on Peggy Sue.

He did. In 1976, during the 15 Big Ones sessions.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »

Any more gems out there like this with Brian really into the song?? Mid late 70's stuff I am talking!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jason
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 06:28:50 PM »

Drip Drop.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx