gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:50:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: surf guitar sounds in 'Here Today' on Pet Sounds  (Read 7085 times)
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »

Upon hearing "Here Today" for the first time, one of the first things that struck me about it was the little 'surf' guitar lick before the chorus kicks in. This riff is not unlike something The Ventures made popular. In fact, "Surfin' USA" also contained this little trick during the fade out. I wonder if Brian was using this 'gimmick' on a Pet Sounds track to be ironic or just because he liked the sound. Either way, it is probably my favorite thing about the entire song. Anyone else noticed this?

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:28:43 PM »

I've absolutely noticed the riff. Killer. Never made the surf rock connection, but you're right -- it does sound similar to that kind of lick. I actually believe it's the bass playing it -- it goes so very high in the tension-building bridge, then it tumbles down for the chorus. A similar riff is in the instrumental break, too.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:36:23 PM by Gurwood » Logged
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »

You're right, Gurwood. It is the bass playing the lick. This is my favorite track from Pet Sounds. The bass line is one of my absolute favorites because
of the fact it goes in the higher register throughout (like Good Vibrations). While taking bass lessons this past year I learned that most bass players (at least in jazz)
like to use the higher register, especially when soloing. I don't know if this is something Carol (?) decided to do, or the way Brian wrote it (probably the latter). But I did notice
the surf guitar-esque sound in "Here Today". I don't know how it was put in, but it sounds great!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
oldsurferdude
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »

Sounds like the Chantays "Pipeline"-UK group from 1963, #16. This information is  from my forthcoming, yet to be titled book. LOL
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »

Come to think of it, there's two basses on "Here Today". Carol Kaye is playing the upper register notes on the electric bass while Lyle Ritz plays another part on the upright bass. Is it possible that one of the two guitarists on the track are doubling Carol's notes as well?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »

I've always loved that part, but I never made the surf music connection either.  Good ear!
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:39:01 PM »

That's just Brian's arrangements paying homage to the "surf" sound they started with. The same thing comes up in "Melt Away" to my ears: that echoed bass (?) guitar doing the arpeggiated notes. And the bass in "I'm So Young" especially. It does add a nice touch to "Here Today" also.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

Sounds like the Chantays "Pipeline"-UK group from 1963, #16. This information is  from my forthcoming, yet to be titled book. LOL

You know what sounds like the main melody from "Pipeline"? The little melody at that break right before the fade starts in "Til I Die"...about 1:28-1:35. Wonder if Brian was consciously quoting or it was just a coincidence.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »

Is the book about the Chantays, or the Beach Boys, or??

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:52:32 PM »

Is the book about the Chantays, or the Beach Boys, or??
Or, as the laughing emoticon may hint, a joke...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »

I was banking on the emoticon killing the joke-good call Luther and sorry bgas.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »

I'm certain oldsurferdude has it within him to write an epic, gushing Mike Love fan bio.  LOL

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »

You know what sounds like the main melody from "Pipeline"? The little melody at that break right before the fade starts in "Til I Die"...about 1:28-1:35. Wonder if Brian was consciously quoting or it was just a coincidence.

Great !! Never thought about that....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:39:47 PM »

I'm certain oldsurferdude has it within him to write an epic, gushing Mike Love fan bio.  LOL

Or Mr Stebbons could write 'The Fake Beach Boy'

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »

Maybe he kept going back to it just because he dug it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »

Come to think of it, there's two basses on "Here Today". Carol Kaye is playing the upper register notes on the electric bass while Lyle Ritz plays another part on the upright bass. Is it possible that one of the two guitarists on the track are doubling Carol's notes as well?

Not Carol Kaye...Ray Pohlman.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:52 PM »

Holy crap! You're right. I have heard this song thousands of times, and I have never made the connection. But now that you mentioned it, it is very obvious.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 12:19:42 AM »

AFM sheets and most recent issue of Pet Sounds liner notes state that it's Carol Kaye on "Here Today".

Ray plays on these PS tracks:
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times [electric bass]
Wouldn't It Be Nice [mandolin]
I Know There's An Answer (Hang On To Your Ego) [Electric bass]
God Only Knows [Danelectro bass]
I'm Waiting For The Day [guitar]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:23:25 AM by JaredLekites » Logged

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »

Grin

Honk! Honk!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »

AFM sheets and most recent issue of Pet Sounds liner notes state that it's Carol Kaye on "Here Today".

Ray plays on these PS tracks:
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times [electric bass]
Wouldn't It Be Nice [mandolin]
I Know There's An Answer (Hang On To Your Ego) [Electric bass]
God Only Knows [Danelectro bass]
I'm Waiting For The Day [guitar]

The Pet Sounds liner notes are very unreliable (for example there are no mandolins on Wouldn't It Be Nice), and I'm not sure what AFM sheet you're thinking of, but Blank No. 247440 for 11 March, 1966 at Sunset Sound for the "Here Today" session does not have Carol on it at all, in fact Ray Pohlman is the leader.  Just be careful when referencing documents--it's hard enough to get things straight.  Another example, Carl is playing 12-string guitar on IWFTD and Ray is in fact playing some sort of bass along with Carol.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »

No mandolins on WIBN?

I always thought they were doing that tremolo-ing on the 'You know it seems the more we talk about it...' section, so what instrument(s) is/are making that sound?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »

No mandolins on WIBN?

I always thought they were doing that tremolo-ing on the 'You know it seems the more we talk about it...' section, so what instrument(s) is/are making that sound?
Accordian according to everything I've read.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 02:23:35 PM »

I am sure I detect some sort of mandolin-type string instrument during the part of the song that Sam also mentioned (in addition to accordions).
Perhaps it's a bouzouki?

It's easier to pick it out in the stereo mix. Sounds like it might just be the same instrument (guitar?) that opens up the track.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:28:17 PM by JaredLekites » Logged

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 02:27:22 PM »

deleted

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »

2 accordians is all i hear. where in the stereo spectrum are you hearing the other instrument? i always love to hear things i've otherwise ignored!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx