gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:33:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did Brian Actually Quit The Beach Boys?  (Read 2725 times)
elchriso
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »

Obviously he isn't in the band anymore and didn't appear anywhere on "Summer In Paradise." I'm leaning towards thinking that his role strictly as producer of "Stars And Stripes Volume 1" doesn't constitute him being an official member of the band for that release anymore than George Martin was a member of The Beatles. Wikipedia says his involvement with the group declined severely after the '85 album, but it's very difficult to pin down an exact year where Brian Wilson stopped being a current member of the Beach Boys. Perhaps his last live appearance with the band? Last recording session?

You guys are the experts, what's your verdict?
Jason
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »

For all intents and purposes, Brian wasn't really a fully-functioning member of the Beach Boys from late 1970 to 1975 and then again from mid-1978 to 1984, then from 1985-now. He was basically a glorified sideman during those years, provided he was with them in concert.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »

Did Brian actually "quit"the group? Or did he simply stop showing up? Looking at Eric Anniversario(hope I spelled it right)'s great concert archive website, it seems that Brian lost a lot of interest when Dennis died. Something tells me that he totally gave up the idea of being a "Beach Boy" when Carl died. Or when he got married.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:56:48 AM »

Technically, Brian has never quit. He's still a voting member of Brother and receives a cut of all touring revenue. He is legally still joined with Mike, Al and Carl's estate.

As to working with the group, Brian has quit half a dozen times at least.

The first time he retired from the road (when Al came back).

The second time he retired from the road (the famous time).

The time he relinquished production duties to the rest of the band (late 60s)

The time he adopted Spring as his real group.

When he stopped recording or touring at all in the mid 70s.

When he put out his first solo album.

After Carl died and he put out his second solo album.

This is not a man particularly comfortable with the group he helped found. At the same time, he actively wanted to produce them into the mid-90s, so I think it's fair to say that when Brian lost Carl, he lost any real interest in the BBs as a group -- I think his prime interest in them was always familial. Once those ties were broken, he headed off on his own.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:46:55 AM »

Brian's last live show with the band was September 8th, 1996 at Chicago's Navy Pier. Since then the only thing close to any reunion was the June 2006 Capitol rooftop ceremony.

As for when he 'quit', judgement call. During the 2nd Landy era he was increasingly estranged from the band (not willingly, I understand), something which seemed to color his later interactions. These days, I don't think he considers himself a beach Boy any more, but of course, once more he may be being influenced in this decision.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:01:59 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 10:06:49 AM »

I think The Beach Boys is a bit like the marines...

Once a Beach Boy, always a Beach Boy...

Grin

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
oldsurferdude
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »

Whatever the situation, it was a great decision whether it was Brian's or his management or both.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »

I always think of Carlin's book in cases like this -- if Brian really wants to do something, he more often than not finds a way to do it. If he really doesn't want to, he can forced to, but the results are lousy.

And he's very good at having other people play the heavy in his life -- so he can hover above it all and be the blameless adult child. He's a genius at having others say no for him. I think Brian really wanted to produce the Boys in the mid 90s. I think he moved (as near as he can move) heaven and earth to record with them. He even made Stars and Stripes! (And he was married to Melinda at this point too!)

But politics intruded, and making a real, full, original album with the Boys seemed distant. Then Carl got sick. That was that.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »

Hard to pin it down to an exact date, but I think it all hinges around the last days of Landy's regime and the bitter conservatorship battle that occurred afterwards, which apparently caused a severe strain with Carl and Brian's relationship at least.  But then again, Brian did involve himself with the band to some extent in the mid '90s, to the point of beginning to produce a new album for them.  That album getting shot down and Carl's death about 18 months later probably made the whole question of Brian's involvement moot.  If there was no Carl, and Brian wasn't allowed to produce for the band, Brian probably figured, what was the point?

So it probably isn't as simple as Brian quitting the band, as much as Brian and the band being on more and more separate paths from the Landy period onward.  If they happened to coincide, great.  The key issue was whether Brian had a viable support system outside of the band, and someone to run interference between him and the band.  Some would argue whether this is a good or bad thing (I have an opinion but I'm not going there), but from 1983 onward, it was not automatically assumed (as it had been previously) that what was good for the Beach Boys was good for Brian, and I would say that accounts for the split more than anything else.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »

Once Brian decided to pursue the solo thing I doubt he really had the time, energy and inclination to simultaneously be a Beach Boy. Even if he did I imagine they'd always try to get his best songs for the group anyhow, thus hampering his solo chances.
 Amazing to think that between 1971-1992 Brian was only willingly involved in making 3 Beach Boys records. As has been somewhat stated in a previous post in reality he'd vacated the group years ago.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »

Once Brian decided to pursue the solo thing I doubt he really had the time, energy and inclination to simultaneously be a Beach Boy. Even if he did I imagine they'd always try to get his best songs for the group anyhow, thus hampering his solo chances.
 Amazing to think that between 1971-1992 Brian was only willingly involved in making 3 Beach Boys records. As has been somewhat stated in a previous post in reality he'd vacated the group years ago.

Trying to get his best songs and in the case of some of the band, very likely trying to alter them, too...if past history is any guide.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:07 AM »

Always felt like Brian should've been encouraged to actively participate in producing an album based on "Funky Pretty" and the fairy tale in 1972. The group was just about to get back on track in terms of commercial success and maybe an active role around that time would've made him reconsider being the group's leading figure again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx