gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:45:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Chaplin/Fataar collaborations  (Read 2998 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »

Just curious as to what their rolls were. Did one focus more on lyrics and the other on music? Does anyone know what they each came up with in Here She Comes, Hold On Dear Brother, Leaving this Town and We've Got Love?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »

Pretty sure Fataar contributed the boss Moog solo on "Leaving". On another note, I think these two guys are shortchanged a bit when it comes to BB history. Did they get inducted into the Hall of Fame with the rest of the guys? If not, what a travesty. But on a whole, I'm sure "people" don't even know the BBs had these two extremely talented guys with them for a while. They add so much to the records they're on; and hearing them harmonize on "Funky Pretty"...its too bad they didn't stick around. It could've been a 7 man super band.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:25:34 PM by slothrop » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 04:02:35 AM »

Pretty sure Fataar contributed the boss Moog solo on "Leaving". On another note, I think these two guys are shortchanged a bit when it comes to BB history. Did they get inducted into the Hall of Fame with the rest of the guys? If not, what a travesty. But on a whole, I'm sure "people" don't even know the BBs had these two extremely talented guys with them for a while. They add so much to the records they're on; and hearing them harmonize on "Funky Pretty"...its too bad they didn't stick around. It could've been a 7 man super band.

The induction to the R&RHoF is, I think, limited to the 'classic' line up (thus, Peter Gabriel was included with Genesis recently), hence it was Wilson, Wilson, Wilson (deceased), Love & Jardine. I'm guessing that, were they inducted now, you could make a very good case for including David and probably Bruce too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:19:35 AM »

Who gets acknowledged in the R'n'R HOF has been a point of discussion various times, the most obvious when Smokey Robinson was inducted as a solo artist but the other members of the Miracles (who in many cases co-wrote with Robinson during his time as a Miracle) weren't. I believe the members of the HOF-board issue a suggestion of the individuals that are to be inducted and the groups get to say yes or no. The Rolling Stones for example demanded that the successive guitarists Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Ron Wood were to be inducted as well as pianist Ian Stewart, who was left out of the original lineup early on in their career. The Temptations have a classic lineup of five, but when they were to be inducted it was decided that longterm member Dennis Edwards were to be inducted as well as the sixth member. Last year all four current members of Metallica as well as two previous bass players (Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted) were inducted. In 1988 it probably was up to Brian, Mike, Carl, Alan and the estate of Dennis to decide whether David, Bruce, Ricky and Blondie were to be acknowledged as well. AGD makes a good call on suggesting David and Bruce would probably be inducted nowadays.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:28:29 AM by GuyO » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »

Bruce told me years ago that he'd been inducted as a Beach Boy in a separate, private ceremony. And David played a concert at the RnRHoF and may have been inducted then. I expect Carrie could share more light there...

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:22:59 PM »

David played a concert at the RnRHoF and may have been inducted then. I expect Carrie could share more light there...

As I recall David was featured in a Q&A format(not a concert) at the R&R HOF in 2007 after our book's release, and the book was featured and promoted by the Hall in this event and in their gift shop...which is ironic since i railed on them and the BB's in the book for not inducting David in '88. Seems odd when the iconic surf and hot-rod period is deemed era defining and part of why they are inducted, but the guy who was in the band and played on those records is not included. He didn't get the lifetime Grammy either. And never got a gold or platinum record until after the book had raised a ruckus about that too, finally Capitol came through with one for Sounds of Summer and Jeff Foskett made sure he got his rightful Golds for the early LP's. But I don't think he's been "officially" inducted in the R&R HOF to this day, but it was nice they featured him for a day.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:24:52 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »

Only the original Four seasons, Frankie Valli, Bob Gaudio, Tommy DeVito and Nick Massi are in the Hall. The others guys and Bob Crewe campaigned to include Joe Long, who replaced Nick on bass in 1965 and played and sang on a lot of hits, but the Hall turned them down. There is (or was) an internet campaign recently to get Joe Long in the Hall, but I don't think it succeeded.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »

As far as I know and understand it, a group is required to have been together for at least 25 years before being eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame. Bruce was not eligible at the time. He was about two years short. Blondie and Ricky will never be eligible because they were only with the group for a short period of time. The same goes for David.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:50:08 PM »

As far as I know and understand it, a group is required to have been together for at least 25 years before being eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame. Bruce was not eligible at the time. He was about two years short. Blondie and Ricky will never be eligible because they were only with the group for a short period of time. The same goes for David.

The criteria for induction is very simple - you become eligible 25 years after the release of your first record (although I hear there are moves afoot to reduce it to 20).

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »

The criteria for induction is very simple - you become eligible 25 years after the release of your first record (although I hear there are moves afoot to reduce it to 20).
That way they can attract more young'ns.
I hope I don't live to see the day that Justin Beiber is inducted.  Cry

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:53:27 AM »

Does anyone have an answer to the original question?  Because it's a good one.  I have no idea, myself.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:27:49 AM »

Just curious as to what their rolls were. Did one focus more on lyrics and the other on music? Does anyone know what they each came up with in Here She Comes, Hold On Dear Brother, Leaving this Town and We've Got Love?

Got a friend who knows Blondie. I'll see if I can get a few questions answered. I'm thinking that, Ricky being more of a multi-instrumentalist, he probably leaned more towards the music. But that's just me... thinking... which is usually a very bad idea.

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 06:58:13 AM »

Got a friend who knows Blondie. I'll see if I can get a few questions answered. I'm thinking that, Ricky being more of a multi-instrumentalist, he probably leaned more towards the music. But that's just me... thinking... which is usually a very bad idea.

It would great to hear what you could find out.

When I saw the Rolling Stones a few years ago I was almost more excited to see Blondie than I was the Stones themselves.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:45:24 AM »

It would great to hear what you could find out.

When I saw the Rolling Stones a few years ago I was almost more excited to see Blondie than I was the Stones themselves.

Don't blame you -  saw the Stones in 82 and them rather lame!

“We live in divisive times.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 08:17:04 AM »

That's untrue. The R&R HOF has many inductees who were not in their band or act for 25 yrs. The criteria is solely based on the date of the band's first record release...as AGD stated, nothing more. The overlook of David, Bruce, Blondie and Ricky rests with the band and the Hall. Either could have insisted and it would have happened.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

That's untrue. The R&R HOF has many inductees who were not in their band or act for 25 yrs. The criteria is solely based on the date of the band's first record release...as AGD stated, nothing more. The overlook of David, Bruce, Blondie and Ricky rests with the band and the Hall. Either could have insisted and it would have happened.

Can the BBs, or BRI, ask the Hall to add someone as part of the group?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »

From what I've been told what's done is done...the official induction from '88 can't be altered or amended.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »

From what I've been told what's done is done...the official induction from '88 can't be altered or amended.

Well that blows.  Chalk another one up for ego winning over better judgment.  Sometimes it's hard to like these guys you know?

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx