gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:29:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love"  (Read 7663 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2006, 08:22:09 PM »

I was watching the Beatles Anthology dvds. Those tracks reappeared. Discuss the project(s).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 08:26:25 PM »

Join us.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:11:25 PM »

I'm not a member over there.  When I was 16,17,18, etc. I was very much into the resurged beatles, I thought that these two songs perfectly complimented the rest of their catalogue.  I also love the tasteful use of George on the one bridge in "free as a bird".  Off the top of my head, I can't remember another track where john,paul,george traded lead. 

The guitar work on "free as a bird" is great as well, I suppose that's also George.  Hell now that I think of it, George is the best part about it.  GO GEORGE!

Real Love was great too.  These both came out while I was in High School and I thought they were amazing. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:15:46 PM »

I'm not a member over there.

Well, GET ON IT!  Smiley

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:16:36 PM »

Off the top of my head, I can't remember another track where john,paul,george traded lead. 

P.S. I Love You ending.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 05:37:15 AM »

Off the top of my head, I can't remember another track where john,paul,george traded lead. 

P.S. I Love You ending.

OOOOOOOOHHhhhh!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 06:28:49 AM »

i think they're amazing. free is such a vintage sounding classic, it reminds me of sleepwalking

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 09:41:56 AM »

These are nothing new to anyone who's been around Beatle boots for awhile, but some may not have heard 'em, and they're pretty neat.

First up is a cool little digitally doctored version of "Free As A Bird" that was created (I think) by OOPSing the released track, and then editing in parts of the original Lennon demo. It's extremely well done, you'd think it was legit. Lennon's vocal loses the "tin can" effect, and it comes across as a kind of unplugged version with strummed acoustic guitars to the fore and no Ringo.
http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QOSK81CRFFBE104DNL2JABSIM

And here's an early, working mix of "Real Love" with Kevin Godley supplying the vocal. I guess this was before they got the Lennon vocal properly synched.
http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=32FW8X68U2WS81MNGXVKYWCRKW

And lastly, the longer video mix of "Free As A Bird" with the bird effects at the begining and the clapping outro. (And someone's reversed the backwards Lennon message - "Turned out nice again. They always do" - and tacked it on as a kind of psychedelic coda. I like it.)
http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=19HQVGAL2X6HL1VDISHAWV1XSZ
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 12:36:28 PM »

Thanks, Chance, that remix is tits!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 02:22:02 PM »

That remix was almost perfect.. until the parts where the John hadn't written the words. "Whatever happened to the life that we once knew.. mm mmm mm mmm mmm mm mmm mmm mmm mmm"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »

Great songs...I like Free better as did McCartney cuz they got to do more solving whereas Rea Love wa  finished song and PG&R jus covered it...the DVD docu is very good on Free & Real

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
james666
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 06:59:20 PM »

These are nothing new to anyone who's been around Beatle boots for awhile, but some may not have heard 'em, and they're pretty neat.
First up is a cool little digitally doctored version of "Free As A Bird" that was created (I think) by OOPSing the released track, and then editing in parts of the original Lennon demo. It's extremely well done, you'd think it was legit. Lennon's vocal loses the "tin can" effect, and it comes across as a kind of unplugged version with strummed acoustic guitars to the fore and no Ringo.

Chance, thanks for sharing!  If there were some way to isolate and add George's lead to create a raw, "Maybe I'm Amazed"-like marriage of guitar and piano, it would be perfect.   I wonder why they decided to bury John's voice in the released version.  Were they trying to evoke a "beyond the grave" feel?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 10:50:39 PM »

I dunno, I kind of like it like that.  Seems kind of frail, like the others are holding him up on their shoulders.  Very tastefully and lovingly done, I think. 
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 08:26:10 AM »

Seems like cannibalism to me now...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 02:59:23 PM »

I downloaded the remix and I like it but the finished product is still the best to me..next I like the orignal Lennon tape just him and piano....Real Love...ther are many versions that Lennon did and they are all precious...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 08:49:49 PM »

P.S. I Love You ending.

"Shout" (with R, too) and "Christmas Time is Here Again."  I think.  If those count.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 10:12:36 PM »

And doesn't CTIHA have a Ringo vocal, too? "O-U-T spells out"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 03:05:33 AM »

The video for 'Free As A Bird' is my favourite pop video of all time.  It makes the song better also IMO.  The two things combine into a moving experience.  The strangely eerie and funereal plodding beat, there's a haunting elegaic quality about it - "whatever happened to, the world that we once knew".
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 03:30:35 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx