gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680882 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:30:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's their Story?  (Read 4885 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:19:21 PM »

I feel like we are not gonna get too many made for tv movies or bios soon on some important artists...and i wanna know if they have an interesting story...people like Burt Bacharach (the only thing i know important that happend was his daughter Nikki dying), Paul McCartney (70s-80s), Ringo (70s-80s), Phil Spector, Jan & Dean; if someone could point me into some good websites or their own insite, i'd love it!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »

OK. Paul McCartney - 70's and 80's.
1970's - left other band, wandered round England in van getting 'back to roots'. Recorded LPs that got worse as they went on. Did bigger gigs. Smoked dope. Raised kids. Had lots of hits including 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' and 'C-Moon'. Couldn't work out why people preferred his old band. Still cheerful though. Still a chance old band might reform.
Lost several bands, went to Africa and recorded good LP shock. Soon back to old downward slope. Smoked more dope and found the Japanese hadn't yet legalised it. Records got worse.
1980's - boy, you thought his 70's records were bad! And the film! He did disco and made Lennon come back (not a great move in retrospect...). Made more bad records while wife made pies and lots of money. She still couldn't sing though. Not much chance of old band reforming.
end. 90's - as per 80's but with Elvis Costello a bit. Old band DID reform - sort of - and turned out to be more popular than him still. WIfe sadly dies, Macca distrought.
FInds new love, Macca happy.
2000's. My wife buys coat by Macca's daughter - they sell out faster than a new Macca LP. Apparently makes decent record again.
To be continued.

Phil Spector

70's and 80's and 90's. Bugger all.
2000's - Not good so far....that Starsailor stuff was DRECK!

Hows that?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:32:38 PM »

thanx  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 07:36:52 PM »

I completely disagree with that poor Macca overview.
DavidLeeRoth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:31:59 PM »

Okay the 80's sucked for Paul...well not even all of them, but I think your 70's review was a little harsh.  McCartney and Ram are my favorite Beatle solo albums.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »

I heard from somewhere (maybe read it in a biography, or saw Paul say it somewhere) that Paul went through his own 'bedroom' phase.  Apparently, after the Beatles disintegrated, Paul stayed in bed for a couple of months, didn't shower, shave, or eat much. 
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 09:55:11 AM »

Okay the 80's sucked for Paul...well not even all of them, but I think your 70's review was a little harsh.  McCartney and Ram are my favorite Beatle solo albums.

and Venus and Mars is a great album....
Chris D.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 10:01:10 AM »

I heard from somewhere (maybe read it in a biography, or saw Paul say it somewhere) that Paul went through his own 'bedroom' phase.  Apparently, after the Beatles disintegrated, Paul stayed in bed for a couple of months, didn't shower, shave, or eat much. 

He also started smuggling children, if you believe the album art for McCartney.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »

That wasn't even his kid, I don't think.  Wasn't that Linda's little girl? 
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 04:35:09 PM »

Nope -- that was their first child together.  Heather was older and can be seen in the interior shots -- SHE was Linda's child from marriage one.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 05:20:11 PM »

I completely disagree with that poor Macca overview.

That is your right as a human being. I don't agree with all of it myself but I was trying to condense thirty years into 10 lines.....accuracy has to be sacrificed for journalistic licence!
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 05:44:05 PM »

Recorded LPs that got worse as they went on.

EH?

No.

A little late-70s album called "Back To The Egg" heartily disagrees with you, as does a wonderful early 80s record called "McCartney II."

Plus, the "better/worse" betwixt Band on the Run and Venus and Mars is so small as to be unappreciable.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 11:29:46 PM »

Nope -- that was their first child together.  Heather was older and can be seen in the interior shots -- SHE was Linda's child from marriage one.

I was just trying to be a smartass... I'm sure Paul raised Heather as one of his own.  Luckiest f&cking kids in the world. 

That's an interesting idea.  John abandoned his first kid, beat sean's mother, and died while his other child was young (of course no fault of his own).

George went through divorces and didn't he go through a big anti-materialism deal for a while?  That would have sucked to be his kid.

Ringo was a drunk.  I love him anyways.

Paul though?  Damn, that would have been so cool to be Paul McCartney's kid.  Hang out with rockstars all through your life, grow up on farms and crap, billions of dollars, your dad's one of the most famous people alive, your parents were madly in love until Linda died, etc.
Evenreven
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 05:01:18 AM »

George went through divorces and didn't he go through a big anti-materialism deal for a while?  That would have sucked to be his kid.
Heh?
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 08:38:25 AM »

Macca and linda actually smuggled POT in their childrens hood's when they went thru customs....that's pretty sad.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx