gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:22:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs That Need To Be Heard...WINTLA/ Big Sur...?  (Read 7930 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 01:57:47 AM »

What is the "eerie as foda" New Song? Does it circulate?

Yes - for a long time it was thought to be a Smile outtake. it's commonly labelled "spanish guitar instrumental" or, more recently "Doves Of Peace". I've seen it labelled as "Indian Wisdom" too.

it is indeed, rather eerie.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 02:03:07 AM »

I think the point may be-that there's just not that much quality stuff that remains. Aside from a Smile 67 box...The public simply wouldn't be attracked to that much more than a few songs...At best...Cheers.

Depends what you mean by 'quality stuff'. Pet Sounds, Smile, Sunflower quality ? No, not very much (to my knowledge)... but equally, there's little in the archives that's cover-you-ears-and-exit-the-room-screaming bad (we call this "the Wrinkles standard"). We'd love it but, as you rightly say, Joe Q. Public wouldn't be interested.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 02:59:52 AM »

I'm somewhat surprised I don't hear for this to be released more often but what about  Dennis's first attempt at making a solo record Hubba Hubba getting a release? This is the one that Steve Desper recalls as being "90% of it being 90% finished" if I remember correctly. With the success of the POB/Bambu project I'm sure some bright spark must have seen the potential for this one? The perverbal spanner in the works is that (correct me if I'm mistaken) the remaining Beach Boys own the rights to this material as opposed to POB and Bambu which are owned outside of the group. If that (admittedly large) obstacle can be overcome then I don't see why not?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:45:48 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »

What is the "eerie as foda" New Song? Does it circulate?

Yes - for a long time it was thought to be a Smile outtake. it's commonly labelled "spanish guitar instrumental" or, more recently "Doves Of Peace". I've seen it labelled as "Indian Wisdom" too.

it is indeed, rather eerie.

I really like that one  Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »

Good Time Mama, 1967 - It can't be found.

Good News, 1967 - See Good Time Mama.

Honey Get Home, 1967 - Recorded during the Wild Honey period. Just a basic track, no vocals. Don't think it'll happen, but, stranger things, y'know.

Honey Get Home is one I'd love to hear. Do we know if it received any instrumental overdubs or is it just a bare bones track?

Probably wishful thinking but considering they were among the first tracks recorded after Love To Say Da Da I wonder if Good News and Good Time Mama might reveal something unknown about the Smile tracks?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 02:00:15 AM »

The fact that they can't be found makes me wonder if they were recorded over. There's a lot of stuff that we will NEVER hear for the simple fact they no longer exist (original "Sail On Sailor", "Beatrice from Baltimore", ect).

I'd like to hear "Spark in the Dark" personally;not for its merit, per se, but rather because I think I HAVE heard it before and want to verify.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 02:37:36 AM »

There's a lot of stuff that we will NEVER hear for the simple fact they no longer exist (original "Sail On Sailor", "Beatrice from Baltimore", ect).

Not to mention the original lyrics to 'Til I Die!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 02:39:51 AM »

No, we've heard the original lyrics. We've just never heard the (scrapped) rewritten ones.

Not sure I'd want to either LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 03:28:10 AM »

The fact that they can't be found makes me wonder if they were recorded over. There's a lot of stuff that we will NEVER hear for the simple fact they no longer exist (original "Sail On Sailor", "Beatrice from Baltimore", ect).

I'd like to hear "Spark in the Dark" personally;not for its merit, per se, but rather because I think I HAVE heard it before and want to verify.

Starts off with a "Loop De Loop" riff, noodles around for a while before winding up with the riff from "Chain Reaction Of Love". Just a piano, if I recall correctly.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 06:25:19 AM »

Ok, so that confirms it...it wasn't SitD that I heard then.

If anybody HAS heard what I'm talking about and can name the track, it would be greatly appreciated: Organ/synth backing track, mainly a drone, Brian singing something rather indecipherable, sounding like the Sunflower-era Brian only with a cold...makes me think this is 1973-1974.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 07:43:51 AM »

Ok, so that confirms it...it wasn't SitD that I heard then.

If anybody HAS heard what I'm talking about and can name the track, it would be greatly appreciated: Organ/synth backing track, mainly a drone, Brian singing something rather indecipherable, sounding like the Sunflower-era Brian only with a cold...makes me think this is 1973-1974.

I know I'm almost certainly wrong here... but that's a near-perfect description of "Out In The Country" (except the vocal is Alan).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWl5MuCsUrw

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »

I love the tag on that song.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 12:33:51 PM »

Nah, wasn't Out in the Country, as I've heard several versions of it. This one was *much* more incoherent. Then again, it's been about a decade since I've heard the track in question, so maybe my memory is a bit hazy.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »

As far as "Spark in the Dark", was there any vocals on it?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »

Nah, wasn't Out in the Country, as I've heard several versions of it. This one was *much* more incoherent. Then again, it's been about a decade since I've heard the track in question, so maybe my memory is a bit hazy.
Could you have possibly heard a cocaine sessions era demo? Or maybe an intoxicated Dennis "noodling around", similar to the vocal in Album Tag Song?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »

Fig Plucker, 1968 - A ridiculous tongue-twister committed to tape. And considering it sounds like they're saying "pig Luther" when they mess it up, I don't think so.
Hmm, to be offended, proud, afraid (of some Manson thing) ... so many choices.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »

Yeah, Luther...you pig Luther, you.

Gotta love how the word "f*cker" is censored as Luther.  LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »

Sound was WAY too good for a cocaine sessions track...also it was obviously Brian singing, but his voice hadn't changed all the way yet.

Jason
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »

Man, I've been going through the collection trying to find this elusive song Billy's talking about but I'm totally coming up blank. I was thinking it was possibly We Gotta Groove, but Brian doesn't sound like Sunflower Brian with a cold. And it's not from 1973-74.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2010, 08:03:58 PM »

Is the recording circulating, or do only a "select few" have it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 12:19:21 AM »

My Solution, 1970 - This one is a guilty pleasure. People like us wouldn't mind it so much, but the lyrics referencing experiments on animals might rub the wrong people the wrong way. Do we really want PETA idiots spamming the board?

Hay, watch it.

Plus, there's nothing to take offense over given the context of the song as a whole, although I know you were joking.

(P.S. I'm not a PETA idiot, but saijifjsaf wat. I'd guess I'm somewhere between a PETA idiot and yourself. Furthermore, blah blah blah blah balh nbla alhsf.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:23:39 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 12:23:09 AM »

As far as "Spark in the Dark", was there any vocals on it?

Don't recall any.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 12:35:01 AM »

Is the recording circulating, or do only a "select few" have it?

The latter. Unfortunately, the person I heard it from passed away several years ago. It's one of the reasons why I'm trying to hear as much material from this period as possible, trying to track this song  down. If it helps anyone, it's only about a minute or so long.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »

I would enjoy the original version of "Soul Searchin'" that had the Beach Boys much superior vocals over BW's...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »

TIME TO GET ALONE
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx