gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681659 Posts in 27652 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 26, 2024, 02:56:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The star of the group is the music  (Read 7401 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »

AGD -- What did Papa John say?

And -- um -- recent revelations may compromise the man's integrity. Just saying.

Phillips said what I related earlier - that he & Mackenzie came up with the bulk of "Kokomo" in the summer of 1984 in Ocean City Marlyland.

As for his daughter's claims... call me cynical, but how odd that she should go public like that when she has a biography to push. I hear neither Michelle nor Chynna are talking to her now. And in any case, even were it true, how would that compromise his credibility concerning "Kokomo" ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »

Yeah, and never mind the fact she was on Celebrity Rehab when she decided to come out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »

AGD -- I'm sorry, I didn't see your earlier post.

I don't really want to start anything about Papa John -- that's up to his family to thrash out one way or another. He was a fine pop songwriter who lived an incredibly colorful and occasionally self-destructive life.

It's possible, though, isn't it, that both accounts are true? In that the McKenzie and Phillips had previously worked on an embryonic form of the song in Atlantic City, but then finished it up after getting a call from Terry Melcher?

For that matter, why does Terry Melcher get a credit on the song? What did he add?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:11:56 PM by Gurwood » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2010, 06:55:08 PM »

I remember hearing that Somewhere Near Japan was about McKenzie Phillip's trip with a drug dealer boyfriend in Asia.  True?   Hard to believe her incest story, although I don't doubt that she had a crazy childhood, filled with horrible influences.  The Mick Jagger story is very creepy too. 
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »

I will speak up for Mike here. That hook makes the song. It's okay without it, but the one thing everyone remembers from "Kokomo" is "Aruba, Jamaica ..." etc. Mike is rightly proud of his contribution, and smart enough to know that it's probably what made the song a hit. After all, how many other hits did John Phillips have in the 80s?

Hmm....Personally, I think the "hook" of the song is Carl's singing in the chorus, which apparently Mike did not write.  I agree with the original premise of this thread that Brian did not do "everything".   However, it makes me cringe when I hear Mike and Bruce point out that Kokomo, as well as I Can Here Music, are two examples where Brian did not participate.  Sorry, but the best thing about both of those songs (to me) is Carl Wilson's singing.  Mike and Bruce did not (except for a bit in Kokomo) write either song.

Mike is a decent lyricist (a good to great one in the 60s), but his real genius, if I can use the word, is in those short hooks. It's one of the things that makes SIP a guilty pleasure -- it's full of them. The problem is, they're not hanging on any real songs.

I respectfully disagree about the SIP and good short hooks.  Agreed, Mike was a decent to good lyricist in the 60's and early 70's, but then experienced a steep, precipitous drop-off into nearly embarrassing territory.   His best work was with his two cousins (Brian and Dennis).

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2010, 06:31:56 AM »

I will speak up for Mike here. That hook makes the song. It's okay without it, but the one thing everyone remembers from "Kokomo" is "Aruba, Jamaica ..." etc. Mike is rightly proud of his contribution, and smart enough to know that it's probably what made the song a hit. After all, how many other hits did John Phillips have in the 80s?

Hmm....Personally, I think the "hook" of the song is Carl's singing in the chorus, which apparently Mike did not write.  I agree with the original premise of this thread that Brian did not do "everything".   However, it makes me cringe when I hear Mike and Bruce point out that Kokomo, as well as I Can Here Music, are two examples where Brian did not participate.  Sorry, but the best thing about both of those songs (to me) is Carl Wilson's singing.  Mike and Bruce did not (except for a bit in Kokomo) write either song.

Mike is a decent lyricist (a good to great one in the 60s), but his real genius, if I can use the word, is in those short hooks. It's one of the things that makes SIP a guilty pleasure -- it's full of them. The problem is, they're not hanging on any real songs.

I respectfully disagree about the SIP and good short hooks.  Agreed, Mike was a decent to good lyricist in the 60's and early 70's, but then experienced a steep, precipitous drop-off into nearly embarrassing territory.   His best work was with his two cousins (Brian and Dennis).

I think some his best songs were Big Sur, Everyone's in Love with You and Sumahama. But I agree. They aren't as good as Let the Wind Blow or All I Wanna Do with Brian. Maybe they are as good as Only With You and Pacific Ocean Blue with Dennis.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »

I remember hearing that Somewhere Near Japan was about McKenzie Phillip's trip with a drug dealer boyfriend in Asia.  True?   Hard to believe her incest story, although I don't doubt that she had a crazy childhood, filled with horrible influences.  The Mick Jagger story is very creepy too. 

True - Mackenzie Phillips married her pusher and they honeymooned on the island of Guam. The money (and drugs) soon ran out, so she called father to ask for a shipment of both, and when he asked where she was, replied "somewhere near Japan". The original version is something like 20-30 verses long.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx