gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:21:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The star of the group is the music  (Read 7327 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:32:08 PM »

I was thinking about this today. It has always baffled me how a band with so many hits, and sold a million copies of 'best of' albums multiple times, yet doesn't have the individual star appeal that most bands as big as them have. I suppose that there is a moderate amount of that with Brian. I can understand Carl and Al sort of being in the background. But Dennis has got to be one of the most unknown people with sex appeal, charisma and being a major part of a mega hit group. It almost doesn't make sense. Mike love is also a good performer and an interesting person.

Another way to put it, it seems that 90% of BB fans are casual fans. Most of them have only heard the hits and know next to nothing about its members. We (real BB fans) have got to be some of the most frustrated fans of any band. There are not enough of us for the BBs to really appease us. I think they tried in the early 70s and Brian Wilson solo tours. But they both soon realised they could make more money playing the hits.   Cool Guy angel

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »

it's all about the music......... ain't nothing wrong with that.....  Thumbs Up

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:48:39 PM »

We (real BB fans) have got to be some of the most frustrated fans of any band.

"A pain I know all too well..."

But really, even more interesting to me is how a band that is one of America's best selling and well known acts has unbelievably unpopular albums! I blame it on them rarely playing new material on the road...what a ridiculous concert format. And so many of their singles were released way too close to the album date.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »

It's about the voices too, especially being a family blend.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »

I blame it on them rarely playing new material on the road...what a ridiculous concert format.
But that isn't really true, is it? The band continued to play a good number of new songs well into the '70s, doing a lot of new tunes at least through the Brian is Back campaign.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »

We (real BB fans) have got to be some of the most frustrated fans of any band.

"A pain I know all too well..."

But really, even more interesting to me is how a band that is one of America's best selling and well known acts has unbelievably unpopular albums! I blame it on them rarely playing new material on the road...what a ridiculous concert format. And so many of their singles were released way too close to the album date.

To be fair, I think the Beach Boys tried hard to stay current and true to themselves until the late 70s. The Wilsons especially. But the money was in the hits. I am so glad I got to see Brian do Pet Sounds, Smile and many other deep cuts. But I have heard that his tours are losing money. When I first became a Beach Boys fan in the mid 90s, I never thought I would get to hear many of those songs live. So I guess I can't complain too much.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »

I blame it on them rarely playing new material on the road...what a ridiculous concert format.
But that isn't really true, is it? The band continued to play a good number of new songs well into the '70s, doing a lot of new tunes at least through the Brian is Back campaign.

I was in the process of typing the same thing and you beet me to it. Smiley

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:17:14 PM »

I was in the process of typing the same thing and you beet me to it. Smiley

I think it is true. Look at the Knebworth CD...they play two damn songs from KTSA. And they rocked, too. And pretty soon those disappeared from setlists. Go to a show these days and the band better be playing at least half of their new album. It's not only something the audience would likely want to hear, but good marketing also. You sprinkle your shows with the big hits, some deep fan favorites and a lot of new stuff. Just my opinion though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:02:12 AM »

They performed new material live every time they had a studio album out, up to and including Summer In Paradise. So, invalid premise.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:17:30 AM »

It is easy to blame Mike for the direction the Beach Boys went in the 80s since he had two votes. But would things have worked out much differently if say Carl had Brian's vote? I am not so sure it would. That is basically what they had in the early 70s and by 1974 were doing more of their hits. Carl said in an interview around 1980, that they had fought their oldies image for a long time, but learned to except it. So this thread is not to bag on the Beach Boys themselves. I am just not so sure that there are enough of us (real BBs fans) to cater to. Either have financial difficulty or make millions. Which is frustrating, and I am sure that Dennis and Carl were feeling the same way in the late 70s. My anger is directed toward the millions of people out their that buy all of their hits and don't want to know anything else about the BBs!

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »

We BBs fans are somewhat of a cult.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »

They performed new material live every time they had a studio album out, up to and including Summer In Paradise. So, invalid premise.

Well, I correct myself. I didn't mean they never played new material, but rather not enough of it. And I still stand by the fact that their "non-classic" songs disappeared from setlists too early. To me, it would just make sense if a band playing in, say, 1981 played more of their music from 1976-1980, rather than cramming the show full of songs from earlier than 1970.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »

It is easy to blame Mike for the direction the Beach Boys went in the 80s since he had two votes. But would things have worked out much differently if say Carl had Brian's vote? I am not so sure it would. That is basically what they had in the early 70s and by 1974 were doing more of their hits. Carl said in an interview around 1980, that they had fought their oldies image for a long time, but learned to except it. So this thread is not to bag on the Beach Boys themselves. I am just not so sure that there are enough of us (real BBs fans) to cater to. Either have financial difficulty or make millions. Which is frustrating, and I am sure that Dennis and Carl were feeling the same way in the late 70s. My anger is directed toward the millions of people out their that buy all of their hits and don't want to know anything else about the BBs!

When we talk about how the setlist changed to factor in more oldies in the mid 70's, it does seem to be a bit of a chicken/egg scenario and I wonder if anyone could shed a light on it perhaps?

To put it another way by 74-77 were the audience response to numbers such as say "Long Promised Road" or "Everyone's in Love With You" so subdued compared to "Surfin USA" etc that the band had no choice but to drop them from the set?  If a large chunk of fans went for a hotdog/piss break everytime "Marcella" started up, there's only so many times the band could close their eyes to that. Does anybody here who were lucky enough to see them live from this era recall from personal experience just what the fan reaction was in concert to these sort of songs around this time?

Or was it just all down to Mike willingly turning the band into "the touring jukebox'?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:26:13 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »

Yeah, I was there for quite a few of those shows. I have to tell you that the audiences here in the US could be quite rude when the Boys would play new music. This was not the case too much at the shows from 1971 through 73, but as of 1974 things changed. The audience would yell out old titles in between songs and sometimes even yell them out while performing new material. I was at a show in Phoenix where Carl actually stopped singing while the band kept playing Only With You. He asked them to please quiet down and they would take requests later. He then finished singing the song. I also heard Mike get a wee bit snippy with the audience when yelling out, as well. I understand completely why they went the oldies route. Their bread and butter were their live shows. You have to play what the audience paid to hear; and by 1974, it was the Endless Summer oldies.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »

Problem is, the Boys' biggest hits were in such a short span of time. They're a career band that essentially has a one-hit wonder problem. They never managed that hit or two in the 70s that could have established them as rivals to the Stones, for instance. They managed the late 80s hit that a lot of similar bands did (Moody Blues, etc.), but they didn't spin it out into much more -- it didn't help that Brian was trying to start a solo career at the time. The group merging some Still Cruisin tracks with BW 88 would have made for a killer late 80s album.

But the group made a series of choices -- really, from 67 onward -- that were out of step with the times and that turned them into a cult act, at least as far as recording was concerned. They discovered -- before a lot of legacy bands did -- that the real money and acclaim was on the road -- but mainly with the songs from their heyday. It didn't hurt that the old songs were brilliant -- something that Carl must have realized while making his peace with the situation. They tried to have it both ways into the mid-80s, but it was too hard (and is too hard for most oldies acts -- they invariably try out new stuff, then go back to the old setlist after a month or two).
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »

It's about the voices too, especially being a family blend.

lol   that too.... when i said "music" i meant the whole package....  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 04:47:50 AM »

Problem is, the Boys' biggest hits were in such a short span of time. They're a career band that essentially has a one-hit wonder problem. They never managed that hit or two in the 70s that could have established them as rivals to the Stones, for instance. They managed the late 80s hit that a lot of similar bands did (Moody Blues, etc.), but they didn't spin it out into much more -- it didn't help that Brian was trying to start a solo career at the time. The group merging some Still Cruisin tracks with BW 88 would have made for a killer late 80s album.

But the group made a series of choices -- really, from 67 onward -- that were out of step with the times and that turned them into a cult act, at least as far as recording was concerned. They discovered -- before a lot of legacy bands did -- that the real money and acclaim was on the road -- but mainly with the songs from their heyday. It didn't hurt that the old songs were brilliant -- something that Carl must have realized while making his peace with the situation. They tried to have it both ways into the mid-80s, but it was too hard (and is too hard for most oldies acts -- they invariably try out new stuff, then go back to the old setlist after a month or two).
Endless Summer was without a doubt a blessing in the short term and a curse in the long run. At first the guys must have thought "Whoohooo $$$$!" (don't forget in '73 they were skint big time) but I imagine it didn't take long for the penny to drop as to the dilemma they now found themselves in. Too put it bluntly they suddenly had legions of fans who were in love with the group  - but not for who they were at that time. They were in love with The Beach Boys of 1964. The fact that Warners tried to get in on the action with their own comp comprising the '70-73 period to no avail backs this up. I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to realise that you have become your own biggest competition.

This is pure speculation but I'd love to hear theories from posters as to whether or not they believe had "Endless Summer" never happened if the band would have made it back into the big time on the strength of subsequent post "Holland"releases or not? The archives from this time suggest unlikely but bear in mind without the monster hits collection to promote they would have been out on the road much less and spending more time in the studio putting together a worthy follow up to "Holland".  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:52:49 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 08:08:28 AM »

Well, I doubt whether they would have had as big an impact as they did from 1976-1980, where in the US at least, they were selling out the largest arenas in the country. From 1971 onward, they were making great strides at re-establishing themselves as a relevant band through their albums, but mostly through their live shows. As In Concert shows, they could really rock the house. I saw them at the Philadelphia Spectrum in Spring of 72 and they barely sold out the night of the show. That place holds approx 18,000 seats. That had to be a huge crowd for that point in their career. In Phoenix around 72-73, I saw them twice at the Celebrity Theatre which holds about 3000-3500 seats. They drew 6-7 thousand per night doing two shows each. They did an outdoor show in Tempe, AZ in 74 that drew at least 20,000, but Endless Summer had been released by that point. KDKB FM in Phoenix gave Holland quite a bit of airplay so Sail On Sailor and California Saga were quite familiar to most of the crowd in attendance. So, with Viet Nam ending and with the 60's nostalgia starting to ramp up, I really think that The Beach Boys would have done OK without the release of Endless Summer. The difference being here, is that without Endless Summer they still would have done well, but with it, they became Superstars again. That speaks volumes about the power of Brian's music and singing prowess of The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:11:24 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »

I think the Beach Boys legacy would be completely different if Endless Summer had not come out, and instead the band had gone in a more collaborative direction. Think about it, Surfs Up hit #29, Holland #36, and The Beach Boys In Concert #25, in the U.S. Rolling Stone named Holland one of the "albums of the year". Of course, they wouldn't have been the superstars they became, but I think they would have risen to be a commercially and artistically viable unit that got respect.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »

I agree with most of what you stated, but their success on record fell on the ups and downs of Brian Wilson. Personally, I think they went down in the late 60's because they did not follow where Brian wanted to take them. In the 70's and beyond, Brian was in no shape to lead them anywhere. Dennis was talented, but he could not lead them to both artistic and commercial success. Artistic, yes. Commercial, no. Nothing that they released by Dennis, Carl or Al produced a hit. Like in the 60's it would have taken a fully functional and competitive Brian to make them commercially viable in the 70's and beyond. For me in 2010, their legacy is terrific. For all the crap that has gone over the last 35-40 years, I think they have come out smelling pretty sweet. Like most rock 'n' roll bands, they had their 5 years of super-stardom and slowly faded. They were very fortunate to rise to super-stardom for a 2nd time from 75-80; pretty much based on their performance and from the songs that gave them their initial super-stardom. In the end they did what their fans wanted them to do; perform the hits that made them famous. As it always has and will be; their fortunes and their legacy will ride on the shoulders of one Brian Wilson.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »

In the end they did what their fans wanted them to do; perform the hits that made them famous. As it always has and will be; their fortunes and their legacy will ride on the shoulders of one Brian Wilson.

That's the thing. I love Brian--his music has given me solace and pleasure, peace for almost 10 years now, through some of the most formative years I've lived yet. But it's a shame that he has always been the crux of the band to the public, because all of the guys had so much to offer. But what can defeat the power of American fanaticism and celebrity? I guess all this is what makes the Boys not only a great band, but an amazing, distinctly American story.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »

Brian is only a celebrity because of the power of his music. Personally, he's not a tremendously appealing figure -- the chubby falsetto singer, then the hairy mental case. But that can become the saga of a great man's rise and fall when the music is taken into account.

The other guys were talented, yes. Each had great moments, and Dennis and Carl reached very high indeed. But none of them could sustain the quality or inspiration or guidance that Brian had provided in the early years. And without that, the group (bound together largely by genes, not musical affinity) didn't have a clear direction.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »

My favourite period of the group without doubt is from 20/20 through to Holland. I think these are fantastic records. However great as they are there's not one song on any of them that screams out 'massive selling single', which is what they really needed to grab the publics attention to their new direction.  I think "Sail on Sailor" could have been - had Brian sang the lead on it.

In my native UK things were rather different as the groups new 'mature' music was listened to without the prejudice of the 'classic' sound. This is because (and history seems to have been pretty much rewritten on this fact) by and large the 'fun in the sun' era did not sell in the UK. It was really only around the Pet Sounds era that the BB's broke though commercially over here and so English fans were much more receptive to their mid to late 60's stuff than Americans. Unfortunately with the neverending glut of "summer orientated" compilations many people in England now think that "Surfin USA", "Surfer Girl" etc.. were big sellers while genuine hits such as "Darlin'" and "Cottonfields" have become obscure.

Infact as I sit typing this I'm trying to think of any other group past or present that is so iconic and well known yet has no many comparatively unknown songs. As much as I rack my brains I cant.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »

Update to my last post! I guess The Kinks would fit into that category also.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »

The fortunes of their legacy does not ride on the shoulders of Brian Wilson, but on THE BEACH BOYS. No one in the story gets all the credit, nor all the blame! What the know-littles think (ie: general consensus) means almost nothing. History will always boil down to the most popular/talked about figure. It isn't fair but it's the way it is.

Brian was only THE GUY for a specific period of he group's music, and for guys like me and Mike's Beard who love the 20/20 - Holland (though I'd go from Wild Honey-Holland)  period best, it is VERY hard to sit back and go "ok, ok, it's ALL about Brian" because it is not! Case in point: Kokomo! Not the greatest song, sure, but the fact that the The Beach Boys were able to score a # 1 hit that Brian had nothing to do with in any facet has GOT to say something. Put that song on and, like it or not, it sounds just like THE BEACH BOYS!!!! Brian didn't show everyone how to do everything! I mean, does someone who plays an instrument owe EVERYTHING to whoever taught them that instrument or gave them lessons? Of course not!  So, you put on Kokomo: Mike's familiar mellow tenor comes in and then the group vocals and then an awesome Carl part! It's The Beach Boys! As good as Brian's (and his many collaborators) material is, the material is NOT the group!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx