gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:23:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Wouldn't It Be Nice?: My Own Story
5 - 9 (19.1%)
4 - 2 (4.3%)
3 - 8 (17%)
2 - 5 (10.6%)
1 - 6 (12.8%)
0 - 17 (36.2%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice?: My Own Story  (Read 52410 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:27:04 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Wouldn't It Be Nice?: My Own Story, released October 1, 1991.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:35:31 AM »

I like it.

Sure, it's twisted, but you do get some great anecdotes, hopefully some of which are true. My favorite part is Brian's overnight trek through the wilderness. I thought the weightloss portion of the book was very motivational and inspirational, but the overall angry tone of the book is a turn off, and the Landy worshipping plain creepy.
artie
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 09:57:38 AM »

It is my understanding that Brian did not write word-one of this; it was all done by Landy with Todd Gold. Hence the creepiness and Landy worship.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 10:20:30 AM »

That book is BOGUS!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:23:06 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Jason
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 11:04:54 AM »

This book is an embarassment in every possible way. Brian's human, but he's not capable of that kind of hatred.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:21:23 AM »

A lot of it is from Brian, if you consider stories told by him to Gold.
The Stones and Elvis anecdotes are him, for sure.
But other stories, such as the Alice/Iggy story, are from Danny Hutton.
And other stories are from other people, all mashed together into Brian's "voice".
From Landy's entrance in, it's pretty much all by Landy, though.
Plenty of bad info cribbed unashamedly from other books.
Still an essential read.
2 and a half.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »

I've been trying to find a copy for entertainments sake.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 01:12:53 PM »

Brian's personal obersations, in this book, about Jan Berry in the studio, are very revealing.

1. The connection through Lou Adler has been affirmed by Lou . . . to me, and to other interviewers.

2. Brian makes a few powerful statements about Jan as a producer . . . and when you add those to what Brian said about Jan, on the record, in 2002 . . . it helps affirm that not all details of Wouldn't It Be Nice are bunk.

In 2002, Brian acknowledged that Jan Berry was the one who taught him how to cut cleaner backing tracks in the studio . . . which is a nice tag to what he says in WIBN.

Because of the Landy situation . . . the co-writer situation with Gold . . . and all of the acrimony surrounding the group . . . people just tend to write the whole thing off. But there is some very useful and accurate information in that book (along with all the bad stuff). Depends what you're looking for.

M.

scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 04:04:56 AM »

the definitive Brian Wilson bio has yet to be written, and WIBN is not it.

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 04:14:48 AM »

Funny how some people who attack this book are nevertheless all to eager believe the parts of it which suit their own agenda.  The bit about Brian trying give Carnie and Wendy heroin for instance.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 05:08:52 AM »

Funny how some people who attack this book are nevertheless all to eager believe the parts of it which suit their own agenda.  The bit about Brian trying give Carnie and Wendy heroin for instance.

Maybe they believe those parts because they're confirmed by other sources ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 05:33:09 AM »

I actually enjoyed reading this book. I took it all with a grain of salt, and it's a shame that Brian didn't write it, but I loved reading about his experiences growing up and being anxious around girls (and eventually courting the Rovells) and all that.

Watch out for snakes!
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:36:34 AM »

I think the book is useful up to the point where it obviously becomes an informercial for Gene Landy.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 06:13:41 AM »

Maybe they believe those parts because they're confirmed by other sources ?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure (not having the thing open before me, you understand) there are other parts confirmed by other sources that they're not so willing to believe.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 01:47:01 PM »

Mark Moore and Pirate probably have the most balanced view of the "auto"bio.

Yes, he didn't actually write it , but guess what folks? No celeb actually writes their own autobiography! That's why you always a second author credited!

I used to be among those who dismissed this book outright, until I actually re-read it.  Gold does try to write it in Brian's voice (if not his verbiage) up to about 1976, and then he writes it in Landy's voice.  And although Gold plaguarizes Steven Gaine's reporting in H & V (is Gaines the only person who DIDN'T sue over WIBN?), there are some things that could have only come from Brian - particularly the SMiLE-era. Listen to BWPS, Maybe Brian was trying to communicate what his initial artistic intentions were when describing his LSD flashbacks?

If you're a newbie and you find this book, get it, read it, and decide for yourself how much is true and how much of it isn't.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 10:39:27 PM »

1, Brian has stated under other in court that his only involvement was to "drop off a bunch of tapes" to Gold. I'm reliably informed that in those tapes, the majority of Brian's answers were "yes", "no" or "I don't remember". Gold himself admitted as mich on a Billboard article.

2. Gold stole large chunks of the Gaines and Leaf books and put the words of others into Brian's mouth. He then justified it by saying he had to flesh out Brian's sometimes terse responses.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
XY
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 12:08:02 AM »

The most entertaining BB book out there. 5 stars.
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 10:47:40 PM »

Got mine used of amazon.com for like $12 total.

it was a good read and I wasn't even aware of the ghostwriting and "lies" until after. Still, a great 'n sad time while reading it.

7/10

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 10:49:46 PM »

Got mine used of amazon.com for like $12 total.

it was a good read and I wasn't even aware of the ghostwriting and "lies" until after. Still, a great 'n sad time while reading it. I like some of the early 1980's rare photos that I'm sure the Beach Boy estates wants to keep hidden forever (a la '77 Elvis)... Brian was a big wreck to look at.

Landy, love him or hate him, saved his life. I think there's more reason to appreciate Landy than hate him.

7/10

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 01:46:27 PM »

1, Brian has stated under other in court that his only involvement was to "drop off a bunch of tapes" to Gold. I'm reliably informed that in those tapes, the majority of Brian's answers were "yes", "no" or "I don't remember". Gold himself admitted as mich on a Billboard article.

2. Gold stole large chunks of the Gaines and Leaf books and put the words of others into Brian's mouth. He then justified it by saying he had to flesh out Brian's sometimes terse responses.

Then what did he use to flesh out Brian's reluctant responses? I agree that Gaines and Leaf were heavily plaguirized, but  the SMiLE chapter, especially when LSD trips are described seem like they could have come from Brian.  Did Tood Gold interview anyone else for the book and if so would he have filled in the gaps with, say Danny Hutton's recollections?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 07:40:39 AM »

1, Brian has stated under other in court that his only involvement was to "drop off a bunch of tapes" to Gold.

Didn't he also say that he never even read the book?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 08:05:35 PM »

Not only that, but referred to it as "all lies and bullshit".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 11:36:14 AM »

But when can you believe anything he says anyway?

paulisdead
Smiley Smile Newbie

turnmeondeadmanturnmeondeadman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 11:55:25 PM »

I was thinking about getting this book and I had few quearys about it:

1) How much does Brian go into SMiLE?  Dead Horse

2) Does he talk about 70's much (unlike McCartney's book)?

3) How much does he go into Pet Sounds?

4) Is it well written or is it fluff (or written fluff)?

5) Does he go into his shakey relationship with Mike or is that just a post-BWPS thing?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 12:14:43 AM »

I was thinking about getting this book and I had few quearys about it:

1) How much does Brian go into SMiLE?  Dead Horse

2) Does he talk about 70's much (unlike McCartney's book)?

3) How much does he go into Pet Sounds?

4) Is it well written or is it fluff (or written fluff)?

5) Does he go into his shakey relationship with Mike or is that just a post-BWPS thing?

What does it matter? It's all false anyway.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx