gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:07:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys:An American Family Soundtrack  (Read 4808 times)
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »

I just watched a copy of the above mentioned ABC-TV movie and noticed all kinds of little gems in the soundtrack. Stuff from Smile,some live stuff and possibly a demo from Dennis doing "Forever". At the time of its production I remember reading that Brian even went in the studio and did some  stuff for it. Does anyone have any knowledge of what went into scoring this film? Thanks
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:23:51 PM »

Basically, they went into the vaults and pulled out different stuff and a lot of it appears on the Hawthorne CA compilation....The 'forever' demo you refer to is just denny's vocals with whom I think Brian is playing the piano (2000)...Brian did record some vocal parts that make for some odd sounding vocals for a young Brian, vocals for In My Room, I get Around, and I think one other. He also did piano for a lot of parts, I think Don't Talk, Wouldn't it be Nice, the Honeys' He's a Doll.  The chord they make during the I get around sessions, before Brian fires Murry, is taken from a vocal only selection of Can't wait Too Long.  The Smile selection you write about was written by Alan Boyd (I think!), it was smile inspired (love to say dada/cabinessence-esq-lyrics). The Shut Down version is on the Hawthorne CA comp as well. Surfin' USA (live) is from the extra disc on the GV boxed set and Fun Fun Fun is taken from the In Concert album

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:25:19 PM »

OH! and how could I forget   Grin

The Shortenin' Bread riff was played over and over and a bearded Brian asks everyone if they know that song.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »

Thanks a lot Pumpkinhead! Very cool of you.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »

Gary Griffin, who has toured with the Boys, Brian and Jan and Dean was the music director. He's clearly how Brian got involved. That being said, everyone on the Wilson side of things (including Boyd, Parks, etc.) was kind of blindsided by how the movie ended up infantalizing Brian. Van threatened a lawsuit IIRC, necessitating a hasty overdubbed name change of his character, for instance.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:40:33 AM »

Basically, they went into the vaults and pulled out different stuff and a lot of it appears on the Hawthorne CA compilation....The 'forever' demo you refer to is just denny's vocals with whom I think Brian is playing the piano (2000)...Brian did record some vocal parts that make for some odd sounding vocals for a young Brian, vocals for In My Room, I get Around, and I think one other. He also did piano for a lot of parts, I think Don't Talk, Wouldn't it be Nice, the Honeys' He's a Doll.  The chord they make during the I get around sessions, before Brian fires Murry, is taken from a vocal only selection of Can't wait Too Long.  The Smile selection you write about was written by Alan Boyd (I think!), it was smile inspired (love to say dada/cabinessence-esq-lyrics). The Shut Down version is on the Hawthorne CA comp as well. Surfin' USA (live) is from the extra disc on the GV boxed set and Fun Fun Fun is taken from the In Concert album

A little clarification...

The piano on "Forever" isn't Brian: I may be wrong but I recall reading that someone (Gary Griffin ?) added that to the isolated vocal...

Brian's only contributions were the sore-thumb vocals for "I Get Around", "In My Room" and, I think, the Honeys song. No piano. (Again, corrections welcomed).

"Geronimo Leaps" was written by Gary Griffin, lyric by Alan Boyd: a full version was later recorded. This happened because VDP refused permission for his lyrics to be used in the movie (and yes, it does sound awfully like "Da Da").

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:01:33 AM »

alright, sounds good, most of my post was under the 'I think' assumption besides the vault stuff...I love hearing the piano stuff though!

BTW, what about the SPector track on it? I know it wasn't actually a spector track, was it supposed to sound like be my baby?  It sounded like an awesome wall of sound moment

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 07:32:03 AM »

alright, sounds good, most of my post was under the 'I think' assumption besides the vault stuff...I love hearing the piano stuff though!

BTW, what about the SPector track on it? I know it wasn't actually a spector track, was it supposed to sound like be my baby?  It sounded like an awesome wall of sound moment

Ah, the 'Spector' track. Can't recall iffn it was here or on A N Other BB MB, but someone insisted it was a pukka PS track, and gave me a hard time about it. Until I played the ace and told them Gary Griffin had written it, and that I knew this was a fact as, via a mutual friend, he'd confirmed it. Game, set and, I do believe, match.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:01:08 AM »

Ah, the 'Spector' track. Can't recall iffn it was here or on A N Other BB MB, but someone insisted it was a pukka PS track, and gave me a hard time about it. Until I played the ace and told them Gary Griffin had written it, and that I knew this was a fact as, via a mutual friend, he'd confirmed it. Game, set and, I do believe, match.  Grin

what's that?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »

Best part is Brian Wilson actually singing on "I Get Around" in Part I.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »

what's that?

PS = Phil Spector.

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 07:20:22 AM »

I was struck by how much the character who plays Carl looks like Brian (not Carl) and how little like Brian the actor playing him looks. And yes, Brian is played as if he's a lunatic from the start, and oh...! those terrible wigs... WTF!!??!!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »

Doesn't Brian at one part play the SMiLE piano bit 'tag to part 1'? If I remember, it's when he's decided to scrap SMiLE, and he's pretty depressed about it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »

I remember him playin a smile like piano part when he's offered brownies and all the leeches are watching tv...he also plays a familiar bit (when bearded) after the Add Some music segment when telling that he had something 'new'

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx