gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:11:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When a Man Needs a Woman  (Read 3635 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »

According to the Kieth Badman book, this song is credited to (B.Wilson/C.Wilson/D.Wilson/A.Jardine/S.Korthof/V.D.Parks)

I thought it was a different Parks. Am I wrong, or is Kieth's book wrong?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »

According to the Kieth Badman book, this song is credited to (B.Wilson/C.Wilson/D.Wilson/A.Jardine/S.Korthof/V.D.Parks)

Badman's book is full of errors for sure. I think its John Parks who was a close friend of Dennis.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »

I thought so. Thanks Jon.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »

Jon Parks was the band's road manager at the time... I think.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »

Yep, and also served as session contractor (alternating with Diane).
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »

Badman's book is full of errors for sure. I think its John Parks who was a close friend of Dennis.

He's the Parks' that is referenced in Be Here in the Morning

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 01:54:23 PM »

Yes, and spells his first name weirdly.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »

Jon was a very close friend of Dennis'; I think they might have gone to high school together.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »

I rarely trust a man who drops his aspirates.  Shocked

groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:13:59 PM »

I've always wondered how this song made Carnie feel when she heard it:
"When a man loves a woman, they make things like you my son,
Er, whoops. Think Brian wanted/expected a son, maybe?
I know he loves all his daughters but, Jeez: awk-ward.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »

I rarely trust a man who drops his aspirates.  Shocked
This is my favorite post of 2010 so far.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »

I've always wondered how this song made Carnie feel when she heard it:
"When a man loves a woman, they make things like you my son,
Er, whoops. Think Brian wanted/expected a son, maybe?
I know he loves all his daughters but, Jeez: awk-ward.

I've thought the same thing. Didn't Brian even see the sonogram? Either way, they both get name checked in the early version of Little Children. Although not released with those lyrics, it's very sweet and a very good song in general.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »

Actually, it's the reverse. They're Susie and Tommy in demo. Only in the released version do they become Carnie and Wendy. I've always seen Landy's creepy hand behind that.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 08:15:58 AM »

Could it not have been about one of the other writer's son? I guess it seems wierd that Brian is singing it. But it is no different then singing about Caroline when he is married to Marylin. Caroline (or Carol) was Tony Asher's girlfriend right?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 08:50:17 AM »

Could it not have been about one of the other writer's son? I guess it seems wierd that Brian is singing it. But it is no different then singing about Caroline when he is married to Marylin. Caroline (or Carol) was Tony Asher's girlfriend right?

Carol (Mountain) was Brian's crush in high school.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »

Yeah, I don't think it was ever 'Caroline No' until brian realized Marylin might have a cow if he sang 'Carol, I know', which is what it SOUNDS like he IS saying.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »

Well, it was written while Marilyn was pregnant with Carnie, correct? And it was about anticipating the birth of your SON. "Some day I'll put my SON on my knee, and HIS little eyes will be looking at me..." I read somewhere that Brian felt inadequate for having had daughters because his dad and both his brothers had sons. Nothing wrong with having girls, Brian.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »

Carol (Mountain) was Brian's crush in high school.

That's strange. Didn't Tony Asher say in the Pet Sounds DVD that Brian 'misunderstood' the lyric as Caroline, no?  Of course there are always about 10 different versions of every historical fact depending on who you ask.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »

Yeah, I don't think it was ever 'Caroline No' until brian realized Marylin might have a cow if he sang 'Carol, I know', which is what it SOUNDS like he IS saying.

According to TA, it only became "Caroline, No" because Brian had a mondegreen moment - he originally wrote it as "Oh Carol, I know", but Brian heard it as "Oh Caroline, no". Couldn't make it up, could you ?  Smiley

edit: ah phooey, I should read the whole thread before jumping in with both feet..  LOL
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:02:26 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »

Actually, it's the reverse. They're Susie and Tommy in demo. Only in the released version do they become Carnie and Wendy. I've always seen Landy's creepy hand behind that.

You're right. My mistake. But what's creepy about it? Seems a nice touch to add his daughters names to the song...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:03:23 AM by slothrop » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »

Don't forget Sloth they would have been around 20 years old at this point!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 10:48:36 AM »

I always thought it creepy because the girls and Brian had little or no contact when he was under Landy's "care." Brian said it was his decision, others say Landy barred them. But it always struck me as weird, because why would you put their names in a song like that -- as "Little Children" -- unless it was to mess with their heads?
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »

Not a parent here, but I'd always imagine your children are always your "little children". They'll always be the those little people you saw grow up, and regardless of how estranged your relationship might be, you still harbor love for them. To me its a troubled and highly controlled Brian still saying to his girls that they're in his mind, even if Mr. Svengali won't let them see him.

In fact, I think people have misinterpreted most of Brian's songs that mention children, except for "Tomboy" maybe. But heck, "Pick You Up," everyone thinks its perverted, and I'm sure it can be read as so, but to me it sounds like an emotionally awkward man speaking with love and affection for his children; nothing off putting about that at all.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:20:05 PM by slothrop » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx