gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:07:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary  (Read 17659 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 04:17:20 AM »

Nobody thinks this is the Beach Boys of the 60's or 70's.  It is what it is.

Why do we go to our High School reunions?  It's fun to see some of the old gang together again and all that.

The BB are getting near the end of the line.  Let's be happy there is some kind of 50th Celebration and be thankful for all the great music.

I must agree.   But wouldnt it be nice to see BW and ML, strong as they've been over the last year, together on a stage doing it right just one more time?

Yes, it would. Remember the Floyd at Live 8 ? One of the most emotional rock & roll moments ever. Don't care what Roger said before or after, for those fleeting moments he was onstage with the others, he was clearly having the time of his life, thrilled to be playing with them again. And remember, these guys hadn't even so much as spoken for over 20 years ! Back in 1990 Brian was still (occasionally) sharing a stage with the others and he'd do an album with them five, six years down the line. They shared a rooftop four years ago. They're human beings, they have feelings, above all they have the kind of memories we can only fantasise about. My feeling is, you put Brian, Mike, Alan, David & Bruce in a room together without the wives, managers and lawyers, ask them if they'd be up for it, you'd get a resounding "hell, yes".

I agree old pal, they are still cousins and friends who share an amazing history and....I'll say it... love together.  The ca ca has gone under the bridge where it belongs.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »

Nobody thinks this is the Beach Boys of the 60's or 70's.  It is what it is.

Why do we go to our High School reunions?  It's fun to see some of the old gang together again and all that.

The BB are getting near the end of the line.  Let's be happy there is some kind of 50th Celebration and be thankful for all the great music.

I must agree.   But wouldnt it be nice to see BW and ML, strong as they've been over the last year, together on a stage doing it right just one more time?

Yes, it would. Remember the Floyd at Live 8 ? One of the most emotional rock & roll moments ever. Don't care what Roger said before or after, for those fleeting moments he was onstage with the others, he was clearly having the time of his life, thrilled to be playing with them again. And remember, these guys hadn't even so much as spoken for over 20 years ! Back in 1990 Brian was still (occasionally) sharing a stage with the others and he'd do an album with them five, six years down the line. They shared a rooftop four years ago. They're human beings, they have feelings, above all they have the kind of memories we can only fantasise about. My feeling is, you put Brian, Mike, Alan, David & Bruce in a room together without the wives, managers and lawyers, ask them if they'd be up for it, you'd get a resounding "hell, yes".

I agree old pal, they are still cousins and friends who share an amazing history and....I'll say it... love together.  The ca ca has gone under the bridge where it belongs.

I'm with this plan...  I love it when AGD's optimism shows itself -  usually justifiable too!

“We live in divisive times.”
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 07:52:21 AM »

Nobody thinks this is the Beach Boys of the 60's or 70's.  It is what it is.

Why do we go to our High School reunions?  It's fun to see some of the old gang together again and all that.

The BB are getting near the end of the line.  Let's be happy there is some kind of 50th Celebration and be thankful for all the great music.

I must agree.   But wouldnt it be nice to see BW and ML, strong as they've been over the last year, together on a stage doing it right just one more time?

If they would get right on stage it would be the first time that ML and BW got it  right on stage together in 45 years (I always thought that the shows without Brian in the 70's and 80's were better than the shows with Brian).

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »

Talks are underway.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »

I feel somewhat ashamed that this is getting me so excited...I really hope something (read: anything) happens. A reissue or some rarities would be nice; a concert or DVD; whatever. With this, who knows...maybe soon there'll be a critical/public reappraisal of the BBs work ahead. I hope they make the most of this opportunity. I mean, how many bands even exist in some form 50 years later?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »

The scary thing is this does all seem to hinge on if Melinda wants it to happen or not as she seems to hold BW's reigns. Let's face it Mike has been trying to make this a reality for nigh on 20 years so you know he'd be up for it in a flash. Forget what Bruciebaby says on the the SmileySmile blog site - where Mike goes he will follow. Al, rumor has it, has his solo release earmarked for sometime this Millennium so he knows that a raised profile can't hurt its sales...  So it all boils down to whether Brian's wife and associate business partners takes the bait or not. I think the key issue is do they think Brian's upcoming Gershwin project could benefit or be detracted by a reunion? DOES ANYONE ELSE AT TIMES JUST WISH SHE WOULD STAY AT HOME AND DO THE DISHES AND CHANGE ALL THEIR ADOPTED CHILDREN'S DIAPERS AND LET BRIAN DO WHAT HE WANTS!!!! LOL!!!!!

Serious time again - Where does David Marks fit into all of this? Is he welcome/willing? Last I heard after 50 years of friendship Mike finally managed to piss him off like all the others.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2010, 11:53:43 AM »

Serious time again - Where does David Marks fit into all of this? Is he welcome/willing? Last I heard after 50 years of friendship Mike finally managed to piss him off like all the others.

I read that not too long ago on this board, but don't know what happened. Is it known? Or do we know that there are problems between the two of them?

But maybe a DVD with performances by all three acts could be made. You know Mike and Bruce doing some of the surf-stuff, Brian and band doing his big works and Al and Dave doing some of the lesser known BBs-materail that wasn't written by Brian (although Mike and Bruce could do this, so we'd have Dave on surf-guitar)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »

I read that not too long ago on this board, but don't know what happened. Is it known? Or do we know that there are problems between the two of them?

Let's just say that it's unlikely David will be sharing a stage with Mike in the immediate future... but hopefully the lure of a once and for all, final reunion will prove stronger than ego.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »

Now that I think of it, they can't even manage to get beachboyscentral.com together. How many years now?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »

Let's just say that it's unlikely David will be sharing a stage with Mike in the immediate future... but hopefully the lure of a once and for all, final reunion will prove stronger than ego.

Forgive me for asking but was the falling out over something that can be disclosed or is it too private a matter?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »

Forgive me for asking but was the falling out over something that can be disclosed or is it too private a matter?

I'll pass on that, if that's OK. Cop out, I know, but...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
oldsurferdude
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »

Nobody thinks this is the Beach Boys of the 60's or 70's.  It is what it is.

Why do we go to our High School reunions?  It's fun to see some of the old gang together again and all that.

The BB are getting near the end of the line.  Let's be happy there is some kind of 50th Celebration and be thankful for all the great music.

I must agree.   But wouldnt it be nice to see BW and ML, strong as they've been over the last year, together on a stage doing it right just one more time?

That is about as naive as those clowns in yellowland. Ahem, WHY is it thought  that Dave will probably not be included?? Ca ca from ML?? Why is Al not performing with the M& B Tribute band?? You got it-Ca Ca-all the way, baby. Tongue
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2010, 07:08:49 PM »

Bob Green touches on the topic in today's commentary.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/05/02/greene.beach.boys.summer/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

MEL commonts on "Beach Boys" after the Beach Boys too!

Here's an excerpt from the article that I find scary:

"I asked him (John Stamos) if he thought there might be a band called the Beach Boys on the road even after all the original Beach Boys are gone.

'I don't see why not,' he said. 'The music's not going to die, is it?'"

Please, God, no!  The Beach Boys aren't some corporate rock entity like Journey or Foreigner (two bands who've hinted that they plan on keeping the "franchise" going)!  When the last BB is gone, the name should be retired.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 07:13:34 PM »

The author is asking Mike, not Stamos. Either way, no big deal. And to say the Beach Boys aren't "some corporate rock entity"? I hate to break the news, but they've been just that for as long as I've been alive. (And that's not even an insult.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »

I think it's safe to say, despite Brian's reputation as a sort of early "indie" so to speak, the Beach Boys were corporate rock as soon as Surfin' USA blazed up the charts.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »

All I have to say is, we as fans are not obligated to have anything happen. If Brian, Al, Mike and Bruce all go to a band members house without the wives and assorted hanger-on's and enjoy and hour or so of each other's company, then that would be nice. No hard feelings, ego's, or lawsuits. Just old friends hugging each other, saying "Damn, it's great to see you again".  No huge reunion tours and fancy airplane rides. No meaningless hotel rooms and random fans wanting autographs. Just good times. I can't help but to think that it's probably what Carl and Dennis would want.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 09:12:39 PM »

50 BIG ONES

it would be great to see an all-star celebration a la the 25th... with ALL surviving members.
it's been nearly 15 years since the Endless Harmony documentary/soundtrack. the time is right.
they will obviously do SOMETHING to mark the occasion... but how big will they go???

it's pretty exciting! let's keep our fingers crossed that they do something we can all be proud of.......... and that no one dies in the next few months.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:57 PM »

I think it's safe to say, despite Brian's reputation as a sort of early "indie" so to speak, the Beach Boys were corporate rock as soon as Surfin' USA blazed up the charts.

Everyone's the same.  You don't have to advertsie Victioria's Secrets to sell out.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2010, 04:06:53 AM »

50 BIG ONES

it would be great to see an all-star celebration a la the 25th...

Excuse me, but that would be the most terrible thing to do.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2010, 07:14:42 AM »

i disagree... if the right performers were chosen.

Ray Charles singing "Sail On Sailor" was the highlight of the 25th Anniversary... and possibly life in general.
My list of artists would include Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Merle Haggard, Aretha Franklin, etc.

Just please keep will.i.am as far away from the Wilson Songbook as possible.
Please.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »

Everyone's the same.  You don't have to advertsie Victioria's Secrets to sell out.
Anyone who is/has been signed to a Major Record Label is part of the corporate music scene no matter what type of music they are producing. The second you sign to a major you are doing so for two reasons 1) to utilise their vast distribution/promotional resources and 2) to accumulate as much wealth from the sales of your music as possible. Not that I have any sort of problem with that as long as you don't allow a bunch of suits force you into compromising your musical vision for higher sales. It's when groups and artists on the majors try to make out they are anti corporate and rebels and such that I find them to be full of it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:45:37 AM by mikes beard » Logged

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »

Everyone's the same.  You don't have to advertsie Victioria's Secrets to sell out.
Anyone who is/has been signed to a Major Record Label is part of the corporate music scene no matter what type of music they are producing. The second you sign to a major you are doing so for two reasons 1) to utilise their vast distribution/promotional resources and 2) to accumulate as much wealth from the sales of your music as possible. Not that I have any sort of problem with that as long as you don't allow a bunch of suits force you into compromising your musical vision. It's when groups and artists on the majors try to make out they are anti corporate and rebels and such that I find them to be full of it.
Uh, pretty sure you don't make jack crap from sales on a major, that's what touring is for. Distro, yeah. Money, no.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »

Depends on the contract you sign. I know the Eagles pocket a MAJOR slice from the actual sales of albums.

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »

This is yet another thing that's being a but blown out of proportion. There was a misunderstanding… That's all.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »

Sorry to have ask but what is being blown out of proportion and a misunderstanding??

Also no guests for the show unless directly connected to the group! That 25th anniv is mostly a disaster....Belinda Carlisle??!
 I want to hear the BB sing their songs!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx