gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:50:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary  (Read 17653 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 02:51:45 AM »

Does this mean Steve Desper does the engineering for the new recording?

Although I would love that, there isn't said anything about a new recording etc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Paulos
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 03:07:50 AM »

This news has got my wind chimes a'ting-a-lin! Would love to see them do at least a few shows with a line up of: Brian, Mike, Al, Dave, Bruce, Blondie and Ricky with supporting musicians including Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, the Jardine boys etc. Hell, I'd even have Stamos invloved and maybe Rieley could be persuaded to do a live version Of A Day In The Life Of A Tree! Or have I just gone too far?
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »

No, you went too far when you reached Stamos on your list.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:18:26 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »

Don't know whether to smile or cry about this, but I will go to see it if it's a tour. Please, NO Stamos!!! Here's hoping they use Brian's band as well....fantastic group of musicians!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:36:39 AM by DonnaK » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »

I just love seeing this kind of thing unfold.

About 36 hours ago, Steve said "a 50th Anniversary get-together of the boys is being considered" - considered, nothing more - and already we've [the collective we] jumped to at least three different conclusions.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »

I agree. If Desper is in the loop I see it more as a remaster or release of some rarities he was involved in and the group providing some comment to meet PR requirements. Possible DVD/ Album combo. Not much else but I don't mind being proved wrong.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »

Think I'll wait and see what it tuns out to be.

Unlikely to be anything as great as I might dream it to be, but you never know, it could be the second coming of a teenage symphony to God.
kirkmc- banned on the run
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 03:53:10 PM »

Just release the 50 best tunes...But don't go near each  other-it'll be ugly...(Maybe add Carls' "Heaven"/ Brian's Love & Mercy/ Al's "Don't Fight the Sea" / Dennis' "River Song" or "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again"and run...Then Love can go back to thrashing the Beach Boy name with a bunch of strangers..See- it's a stupid thing to do. LOL
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »

If "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" isn't some part of whatever is going to happen in 2011 then when will it ever happen?  Regardless of anything else that's the one *must* for me.  I heard it in 2003 in Connecticut.  It's as good as has been talked about.  Evie Sands/Adam Marsland do it great justice but they're not Dennis.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »

What significant material, whose existence has been confirmed, haven't been released or bootlegged yet? I only know of a couple of things like WIBNTLA. Are there many out there?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 06:03:54 AM »

I just love seeing this kind of thing unfold.

About 36 hours ago, Steve said "a 50th Anniversary get-together of the boys is being considered" - considered, nothing more - and already we've [the collective we] jumped to at least three different conclusions.  Grin

I hope my conclusion/joke wasn't one of these

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 08:39:19 AM »

Just release the 50 best tunes...But don't go near each  other-it'll be ugly...(Maybe add Carls' "Heaven"/ Brian's Love & Mercy/ Al's "Don't Fight the Sea" / Dennis' "River Song" or "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again"and run...Then Love can go back to thrashing the Beach Boy name with a bunch of strangers..See- it's a stupid thing to do. LOL

"Bunch of strangers"??  Let's see, we have Tim Bonhomme, who replaced Billy in '96, therefore he was in the band the last two years of the Carl/Al lineup, and every year since...so he's no stranger.  John Cowsill...no stranger to most fans of '60s power-pop.  Randall Kirsch...he sometimes subbed for Eddie C. as far back as the '80s, and has also done so in Al's band, so no stranger there.  Scott Totten:  he's done for Mike & Bruce what Darian has done for Brian's band, and is as big a fan of the original BBs as any of us, so I don't think he should be considered a "stranger"....And then there's Christian Love...as familiar to one original band member as Matt Jardine is to another.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »

c-man, please don't wreck the narrative with pesky facts. Brian is the one to be cheered for. Mike, Bruce & Co. are the bad (no-talent) guys. (Al is the short one with whom one is to Keep It Clean.) One more infraction and there will be trouble. That is all.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »

My prediction? As cool as a surviving BB's live concert/TV special would be with a thoroughly comprehensive documentary and Rareties CD tie in a'la "Endless Harmony" the reality is we will probably get the same old "Hits" CD, which "Kokomo" aside doesn't stray beyond 1968 recordings called something like "50 Years of Summer". Mike and Bruce will go on American morning chat shows to hype it, where Bruce will not be able to get a word in edgeways.  Someone will interview Brian who be relatively unaware that a) a new CD is out, b) it's 50 years since the group first formed and c) that he was ever a part of it. He will then spend the rest of his airtime discussing his upcoming solo project and how much he loves Phil Spector's "Be My Baby".

Mark my words: this is what will happen.  Cheesy

Sorry to be "Mr Positivity" but I learned not to count my chickens after the Peter Gabriel era Genesis reunion bit the dust.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:23:57 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »

Cool, another Genesis fan! :D

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 02:21:37 PM »

Bob Green touches on the topic in today's commentary.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/05/02/greene.beach.boys.summer/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

MEL commonts on "Beach Boys" after the Beach Boys too!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »

I'm guessing the 50th is too tempting financially to simply let it pass.  The BB have been surfing on re release packages for many years.  This is a good opportunity to put out some lucrative product.  Might be some film and reunion performance/s.  Nothing wrong with ANY of that.  I'd like to see a well done full length documentary combining the best of previous with new commentary and unreleased footage.  An EH for the ages.    Anything new and of quality would be welcome.  Mr. Desper's connection here whets my appetite and stirs my curiosity.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »

Nobody thinks this is the Beach Boys of the 60's or 70's.  It is what it is.

Why do we go to our High School reunions?  It's fun to see some of the old gang together again and all that.

The BB are getting near the end of the line.  Let's be happy there is some kind of 50th Celebration and be thankful for all the great music.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »

Why do we go to our High School reunions?  It's fun to see some of the old gang together again and all that.

The BB are getting near the end of the line.  Let's be happy there is some kind of 50th Celebration and be thankful for all the great music.

I must agree.   But wouldnt it be nice to see BW and ML, strong as they've been over the last year, together on a stage doing it right just one more time?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 05:15:38 PM »

Wait, you guys go to your high school reunions!?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »

Wait, you guys go to your high school reunions!?

Be true to your school?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »

I must agree.   But wouldnt it be nice to see BW and ML, strong as they've been over the last year, together on a stage doing it right just one more time?
NO-too much ca ca under the bridge! Psyche!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »

I wonder where Melinda currently stands on this talk of reunion?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »

Its been described by Stephen Desper as a 'Get-Together' only at this stage. No reunion as in concert, new album mentioned.

Think roof-top type deal. presentation of some kind, record exec's, product plug,  photo-op's, forced smiles and crappy buffet with warm booze!

Would many LA wives turn down a chance to dress up and stand in front of a TV camera?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 12:52:38 AM »

Nobody thinks this is the Beach Boys of the 60's or 70's.  It is what it is.

Why do we go to our High School reunions?  It's fun to see some of the old gang together again and all that.

The BB are getting near the end of the line.  Let's be happy there is some kind of 50th Celebration and be thankful for all the great music.

I must agree.   But wouldnt it be nice to see BW and ML, strong as they've been over the last year, together on a stage doing it right just one more time?

Yes, it would. Remember the Floyd at Live 8 ? One of the most emotional rock & roll moments ever. Don't care what Roger said before or after, for those fleeting moments he was onstage with the others, he was clearly having the time of his life, thrilled to be playing with them again. And remember, these guys hadn't even so much as spoken for over 20 years ! Back in 1990 Brian was still (occasionally) sharing a stage with the others and he'd do an album with them five, six years down the line. They shared a rooftop four years ago. They're human beings, they have feelings, above all they have the kind of memories we can only fantasise about. My feeling is, you put Brian, Mike, Alan, David & Bruce in a room together without the wives, managers and lawyers, ask them if they'd be up for it, you'd get a resounding "hell, yes".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx