gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:03:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surfer Girl
5 - 28 (30.1%)
4 - 41 (44.1%)
3 - 21 (22.6%)
2 - 2 (2.2%)
1 - 1 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 85

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surfer Girl  (Read 56294 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 08:05:08 PM »

The best stuff on this album is mind blowing for 1963. On the 'I Wasnt Made For These Times' documentary, Crosby of CS&N and the Byrds said that when he heard 'In My Room' he knew that Brian was ahead of everyone else in pop music.

It was funny how he wasn't sure if it was after/before Pet Sounds Tongue But clearly showed Brian's talent in writing songs in that vein.

Anyway, some great songs on this album. Surfer Girl, Surfer Moon, Little Deuce Coupe, Catch A Wave, In My Room, Hawaii and Your Summer Dream. All GREAT songs, I give it a 4.5 which means a 5, the first great album from the boys (or brian - whichever way you want to look at it) and truly showed Brians talents beginning to emerge to a big extent.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2008, 06:01:26 PM »

Great album - only the hardiest shoegazer wouldn't find something to like here. Extremely listenable, and yeah, a great sign of things to come. 'In My Room' is one of my favorite songs of all time, and 'Catch A Wave' is the Beach Boys best surfing song for my money. The title track is one of their best harmony vocals too. Brilliant stuff.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2008, 03:14:35 AM »

I like it all, especially the ballads. I do wish that on certain songs the backing tracks were a bit louder. Song for song it was definitely their best album to date and remained their best until All Summer Long. Great stuff. I'll give it a four.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »

Jeez, do we have enough songs with "surf" somewhere in the title or what... This album is so unbelievably charming.  Too bad for the filler.  3 stars.

Track picks:  In My Room (+++), Surfer Girl (+++), Surfer Moon (++), Catch a Wave (+)
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2009, 06:20:13 PM »

4. Shy of a 5 because the filler is not that good at all.

Surfer Girl, Catch a Wave, Surfer Moon, Little Deuce Coupe, In My Room, Hawaii, and Your Summer Dream are fantastic while South Bay Surfer is horrid. Also two more instrumental that I'm not fond of. Our Car Club and Surfer's Rule (love the shout out to the Four Seasons) are decent.

5/5 Surfer Girl
4.5/5 Catch a Wave
4/5 Surfer Moon
2/5 South Bay Surfer
3/5 Rocking Surfer
5/5 LDC
5/5 In My Room
5/5 Hawaii
3/4 Surfer's Rule
3.5/5 Our Car Club
5/5 Your Summer Dream
3/5 Boogie Woodie
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »

The first classic Beach Boys album.  The guys had really found their feet by this point and were making timeless music. "In my Room, Surfer Girl, Catch a Wave", all brilliant. Vocal wise they really started playing to each others strenghs, Mike for the up tempo rockers, Brian for the pretty ballads.  Minus the two car songs this would have been as much a "Surf"concept album as "Deuce Coupe" was a "Hotrod" one.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
DefMode66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2010, 09:13:46 AM »

Surfer Girl is the full album in which Brian was in total control of production. The 3rd album in two years is the first sign that the Beach Boys are more than just a fad! Surfer Girl peaked at #7 on the charts and had a 56 week stay on the charts. Hawaii, Lil Deuce Coup, Surfer Girl, Catch a Wave and In My Room (Gary Usher) were strong enough to carry Surfer Girl to be considered a great album which it was!   
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2010, 06:14:46 PM »

The first genuinely good BBs album imo and thankfully Brian (or Capitol) had completely overcome the aversion towards slow songs by this point. Some of the groups most beautiful ballads are present here along with concert stalwarts like Little Deuce Coupe, Hawaii and Catch a Wave. Just unfortunate that South Bay Surfer is so obviously filler and Boogie Woodie is a really weak way to end the album.

3 1/2 out of 5.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »

Surfer Girl is the classic of their early albums, better even (IMO) than All Summer Long.  For it's time (1963) and place (the pre-Kennedy assassination music world of the good ol' USA, So. Cal variety) this is a mind blowingly fantastic - and consistent - album.   I'd go as far as to say there isn't any filler on this album.   Every track is enjoyable (though yes,  some of them may be "light weight", but I will argue they are light weight in the best sense of the term and they work perfectly within the album as a whole).    The flow of this album is also excellent (IMO).    So, can you tell I really like this album yet?
I've always wished the band could've made a movie, (but a good one - the American Hard Days Night) and Surfer Girl would have been the perfect soundtrack.   
Totally an under appreciated album.   It's the quintessential Beach Boys album from their "surfer years".
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2011, 05:10:14 AM »

"Your Summer Dream"  Smokin

Easy song to play live, but hard to sing.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »

This is the best pre-Today Beach Boy album IMO. Yes, even better than All Summer Long. The musical highs featured on this album are some of the greatest songs that the Beach Boys ever did. Surfer Girl, Catch a Wave, Little Deuce Coupe, In My Room, and Hawaii are all staples of the band in concert to this day and all amazingly first appeared on this album. The filler isn't bad, like others have pointed out, I can listen to this album all the way through since it has a good flow to it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:01:08 PM by Scott M » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 05:04:10 AM »

My favourite pre 'All Summer Long' album. Surfer Girl, Surfer Moon, In My Room and Your Summer Dream are incredible ballads while Little Deuce Coupe, Catch A Wave and Hawaii are surfing/car/fun songs at their best. Few weak songs here and there, but the good overshadows, without a single doubt, the bad. A very pleasant listen. 4 stars.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 03:18:19 PM »

Great album. Fave tracks include Surfer Girl and In My Room. Love Brian's voice in this album! Yes there is some filler but I find it to be good filler. Worth listening to in it entirety.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:07 AM »

The first great BB's album, and another step-up from the previous albums.
By far the two best tracks are the title track and "In My Room".
I enjoy "Hawaii" and "Surfer Moon" a lot as well.
"Catch A Wave" is a good song, but this version is mediocre. The vocals are surprisingly bad, and don't get me started on the horrible organ solo.
Surprisingly, when they performed that song when I saw them in Melbourne during the 50th Anniversary tour, that performance was much, much superior to the original!
As for the rest of the tracks, it's a hit and miss. Some good tracks, some pretty noticiably bad filler (a good example would be "South Bay Surfer").
Ultimately, it's a great album, but maybe it's because i just ultimately don't care for the BB's surf music, I just never enjoyed this album as much as I should.
3.5 out of 5.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »

"Catch A Wave" is a good song, but this version is mediocre. The vocals are surprisingly bad, and don't get me started on the horrible organ solo.
Surprisingly, when they performed that song when I saw them in Melbourne during the 50th Anniversary tour, that performance was much, much superior to the original!
As for the rest of the tracks, it's a hit and miss. Some good tracks, some pretty noticiably bad filler (a good example would be "South Bay Surfer").
Ultimately, it's a great album, but maybe it's because i just ultimately don't care for the BB's surf music, I just never enjoyed this album as much as I should.
3.5 out of 5.
I pretty much agree with you. Though I'm in the minority who likes South Bay Surfer. Plus I think this has one has the best cover arts by the Beach Boys ever. Classic!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »

3.5 out of 5.
Plus I think this has one has the best cover arts by the Beach Boys ever. Classic!
Agreed. It's one of my favourite BB's covers, it's aged well and still looks beautiful!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »

Totally classic songs and cover..!!  My record store experience in SUSA review is repeated here.. Im 11 yrs old and im learning how to play the drums and guitar slowly and my INSPIRATION is the music + cover of USA + SG.. This started a LIFELONG obsession with MUSIC + surfing + Beach culture + continued with the british invasion long hair etc.. BB gave me the soundtrack to my life + gave me an identity as a kid SURFERS RULE.. I would find my own identity but it started with the BB as role models as musicans..  As far as the music goes its 4/5.. BW is comin into his own here.!
KDS
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 05:56:23 AM »

Third time's a charm.  IMO, the first great Beach Boys album. 

Even the filler, South Bay Surfer & Surfers Rule, are entertaining in their own way. 

Plus, you have the great ballad Surfer Girl and In My Room.   Those two songs alone make this one a must buy.  Plus, Surfer Moon and Your Summer Dream.  Four great Brian ballads! 

Then, there's Catch a Wave and Hawaii with Mike's under the weather voice.  Both great tracks. 

Add two car songs and you have The Beach Boys winning formula with which Mike Love didn't want to f*#*.  After listening to this album, who can blame him? 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2015, 09:01:30 AM »

Surfer Girl - 5/5
Catch a Wave - 5/5
Surfer Moon - 5/5
South Bay Surfer - 3/5
Rocking Surfer - 3/5
Little Deuce Coupe - 5/5
In My Room - 5/5
Hawaii - 5/5
Surfer's Rule - 3/5
Our Car Club - 4/5
Your Summer Dream - 5/5
Boogie Woodie - 2/5

With Brian now firmly in the producer's chair, the band cut their first classic album.
An easy 5/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2016, 09:53:57 PM »

I am listening to the albums in order this week, and it is really cool to hear how each album was better than the one before. Surfin' USA is so much better than Surfin' Safari (and don't get me wrong, I like the debut); then Surfer Girl seems to take it up another level. Even if the only classic we got out of this album was In My Room it would be worth it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »

A great listen all the way through. It may dip ever so slightly at "SBS" but it's still fun and surely that's a good thing? I must confess to preferring the title track to "In My Room".

"The Rocking Surfer" is not filler----those who think it is should give it a good listen some time----and "Catch A Wave" is as good as it gets in the songs-about-surfing stakes.

5/5

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2020, 10:51:41 AM »

Surfer Girl (Mono, 2015 AP release)

Side 1:

1. Surfer Girl - *****
Just sounds amazing. Great way to start this album off.

2. Catch A Wave - *****
I've always liked this one a lot. It's pretty fun listening to sets in the 70s when they started incorporating it into them.

3. The Surfer Moon - ****
Nice ballad and strong performance by Brian.

4. South Bay Surfer (The Old Folks at Home) - ***
Mostly inoffensive. No issue here. Like some of the bass vocals here.

5. The Rocking Surfer - **

6. Little Deuce Coupe - *****
Another classic. 409 and Shut Down were fun, but Brian's high vocals put this on over the top.

Side 2:

7. In My Room - *****
Incredible song. This is one of my mom's favorites too. Strong opener to the second side.

8. Hawaii - ****
My impression is that this one is polarizing but I like it a lot. The falsetto works here.

9. Surfer's Rule - ****
Another fun, strong song. Fade is great.

10. Our Car Club - ***
This one is okay. A weaker song on the album by virtue of the rest being so strong.

11. Your Summer Dream - ****
Love this one. Would have been a great closer.

12. Boogie Woodie - **

Overall Rating: ****
Very, very strong album. Nearly a classic. There is some filler here for sure, but not as much as the first two albums. Four absolutely immortal songs, three great ones.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:58:00 AM by thr33 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx