gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:35:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surfer Girl
5 - 28 (30.1%)
4 - 41 (44.1%)
3 - 21 (22.6%)
2 - 2 (2.2%)
1 - 1 (1.1%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 85

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surfer Girl  (Read 56314 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 04:09:54 PM »

Yep, yep, yep.
When I want to rock with the BB's, I play the live stuff. Denny and Ricky were both great and energetic live drummers, sorely underused by Brian and Carl in the studio.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 04:16:47 PM »

Does make me wonder why Moon the Loon was such a big fan of the boys... If he ain't never seen 'em live, their rockers are so underwhelming on record...
Jason
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 04:18:26 PM »

Does make me wonder why Moon the Loon was such a big fan of the boys... If he ain't never seen 'em live, their rockers are so underwhelming on record...

Ahem....All I Want To Do. It's About Time. Student Demonstration Time. Marcella. The first side of Love You.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 04:20:37 PM »

Moonie with the Boys. I can only dream.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2005, 04:21:20 PM »

All I Want live kills the studio! Marcella same. Love You is electronic and spare robotic beats, different trip. SDT's drums aren't there, to my ears. It's About Time is a great exception, though.

Moon dug the melodies, harmonies, vibes and the subject matter I believe.

Moonie with the Boys. I can only dream.

It ALMOST happened!

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2005, 04:23:25 PM »

Marcella studio version is terrible, sounds like it's being drummed by a four year old (who I believe is Brian or Carl).  The one on "In Concert" creams it, particular Dennis' backing vocal "ONE ARM ONE ARM OVER MY SHOULDA!"

Compare that to "You Need a Mess of Help..."
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2005, 04:24:55 PM »

Yeah, Moon loved the Beach Boys because it was surf and car music early on.

Subject matter and he liked that type of music. Liked Pet Sounds less so, from what I've read.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 07:51:33 AM »

Regarding limited use of drums on BB recordings.  The drums on WIRWFC are part of what make it such a good album.  Listen to LSN and the drum piece on the new album  just before the lead vocal begins.  I just LOVE that and it fits perfectly.  The original versions just don't have enough punch.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2006, 10:38:25 PM »

4/5

Lots of awesome tracks; Our Car Club has got to be one of my favorite early BB songs, I love the Brian's falsetto on Hawaii, and In My Room calls out to the loser that lives in all of our hearts.

South Bay Surfer is pretty cheesey, and Brian had even done that schtick before (Surfin' Down the Swanee River by the Honeys); if I didn't like the original melody I probably wouldn't like it.

The over-the-top strings on The Surfer Moon ruin the song for me, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2006, 08:14:44 AM »

The over-the-top strings on The Surfer Moon ruin the song for me, though.

I like them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2006, 12:27:52 PM »

I don't know; it just gives the song this whole distracting 1940s pop feel. I concentrate on the lyrics until "Neath the hill", and then all I can listen to is those darned strings.. gosh, save it for a black-and-white romance film with bad acting.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »

I think that's the point of it. To me, it's a great example of how Brian could write--or, really, arrange--for different idioms.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2006, 01:11:53 PM »

Eh, I guess that works.

Still not a fan, though.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2006, 01:14:18 PM »

Doesn't hurt my feelings any.

Jason
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »

I don't know; it just gives the song this whole distracting 1940s pop feel. I concentrate on the lyrics until "Neath the hill", and then all I can listen to is those darned strings.. gosh, save it for a black-and-white romance film with bad acting.

You don't get it.
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2006, 01:35:48 PM »

Great, great album. My favorite of the pre ASL LPs. This is almost a Brian solo album to my ears. That's my only qualm with the record, it seems like the boys are underused. On a couple of songs they are not present at all. Still, it's a great showcase for Bri's beautiful voice and burgeoning song-writing skills.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2006, 01:50:44 PM »

Do you feel the same way about Pet Sounds?

NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »

Do you feel the same way about Pet Sounds?

No, I really don't. When the boys aren't used on PS, it sounds like a concious decision on Brian's part. The production still sounded fully realized. It's even used an effect at times like on "Caroline, No" - I can't imagine a group vocal on that song. On tracks like "Surfer Moon" and "Your Summer Dream" something sounds incomplete to me, like the album was a rush job (their schedules were extremely tight at the time), and they didn't have time to put them on.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »

Hmmm, I feel it was a consious decision as well, and showed an early inclination towards solo work on Brian's part.
Thanks for making me think about that!

NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2006, 02:33:18 PM »

Hmmm, I feel it was a consious decision as well, and showed an early inclination towards solo work on Brian's part.
Thanks for making me think about that!

Couldn't Murry's hand also be in that as well? In other words, leave the other guys out and let Brian be featured. Witness also the solo outings on the Christmas LP as well. I think his voice was beautiful, so I don't mind. It just puzzles me at times. I think on a lot of those ballads he was going for an almost pop standard sound, not a group, R&B thing.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2006, 02:40:15 PM »

You are probably right. If so, I don't mind, I love it, gives a change of pace to those LP's. Excellent thoughts.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2006, 01:16:06 PM »

Surfer Girl starts off so great. First, you have the title track, which is freakin’ incredible. But then they follow that with Catch a Wave, which is another masterpiece. And then…The Surfer Moon. Good lord, this is a great album. South Bay Surfer? Oh yeah, I’m still digging. Sizing up to be the greatest album ever. Little Deuce Coupe?!?! In My Room?!? Hawaii?!? Your Summer Dream?!?! Forget Today and Summer Days, this album is a certified masterwork, and so early in their career. I can’t get over the amount of quality work found on this record. Amazing.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2006, 11:04:07 AM »

I love "Surfer Moon".  I feel fairly certain that it is based on (and largely a a re-make of) Patti Page's 1957 hit "Cape Cod" written by Claire Rothrock, Milt Yakus, and Allan Jeffrey.  If you assume that, it is interesting to see what Brian (and I don't know but possibly also Murry to some extent) did with it - using what in essence, was some neighborhood kids in a garage band (albeit with some fame now) as the core element.     
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 11:10:15 AM by mikee » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2006, 10:54:01 PM »

The best stuff on this album is mind blowing for 1963. On the 'I Wasnt Made For These Times' documentary, Crosby of CS&N and the Byrds said that when he heard 'In My Room' he knew that Brian was ahead of everyone else in pop music.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »

I wish I could wtite one song in my life that is half as cool as IN MY ROOM. Imagine that this album had the ballads off of Today instead of the the weaker tracks. Then it would be among the best albums ever. Brian's voice in Hawaii is amazing. Does anyone here prefer the 1967 Hawaii rehearsals of Surfer Girl compared to the original??? i do..
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx