gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680716 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:39:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise & Still Crusin'  (Read 10229 times)
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 02:34:41 PM »

Hell, you might even love the 3 CD set I have dedicated to Mike!

Is it called "Lost In Love?"
Jason
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2006, 02:39:28 PM »

Actually, it has no name. It's just THERE, yanno?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2006, 02:55:14 PM »

Because people really wanted a Brother Rarities collection - and it was being discussed.  As I recall, there was lots of back-and-forth at Capitol about the idea, and there was also a point when there was a plan to release the Brother albums as single CDs with bonus tracks...but that eventually went away, and Capitol released the two-fers instead.  I'm not sure how or where that decision was made.

I'm told there was a wholsale change in top management, those people really interested in doing it right moved on and everything got lost in the shuffle - shame, as the original concept was a killer, for the 1962-69 albums as well as the Brother stuff..

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »

I'm told there was a wholsale change in top management, those people really interested in doing it right moved on and everything got lost in the shuffle - shame, as the original concept was a killer, for the 1962-69 albums as well as the Brother stuff..

I heard that too. Damn shame. Oh well, life goes on. Now where's my copy of the finished Dennis box set?  :D
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 03:10:37 PM »

Well, if one gets lined up, I'm sure you'll be the first to know.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 03:13:40 PM »

Well, if one gets lined up, I'm sure you'll be the first to know.

You must not know how long a Dennis box set has been in the cards.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »

Still waiting after all these years!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »

NO beach boys album past holland is worth reissuing other than love you. I mean even now there are primary BBs I want doubles of and the others not so much. Primary- surfer girl, deuce coupe, shutdownvol2, all summer long, today, summer days, pet sounds, smiley, wild honey, 20/20, sunflower, surfs up ,holland and love you....but to the essentialist miu, light album, ktsa, selftitled, still cruisin, summer in paradise were/are not history making quality albums by any means/ and I dont care how much flack I get but with the beatles I put the bookend at revolver; meet the beatles, hard days, help, rubber soul and revolver the primary and for the stones- aftermath and between the buttons....took me years to weed out the albums that werent that great.
Nicko1234
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »

NO beach boys album past holland is worth reissuing other than love you. I mean even now there are primary BBs I want doubles of and the others not so much. Primary- surfer girl, deuce coupe, shutdownvol2, all summer long, today, summer days, pet sounds, smiley, wild honey, 20/20, sunflower, surfs up ,holland and love you....but to the essentialist miu, light album, ktsa, selftitled, still cruisin, summer in paradise were/are not history making quality albums by any means/ and I dont care how much flack I get but with the beatles I put the bookend at revolver; meet the beatles, hard days, help, rubber soul and revolver the primary and for the stones- aftermath and between the buttons....took me years to weed out the albums that werent that great.

I would agree that the post-73 releases are not `quality albums`but I don`t think that means they deserve to pass out of print and into obscurity. A quick look at the Bellagio site also suggests that there are stacks of unreleased songs that could be included on all of the albums up to and including KTSA at least.

For Still Cruisin` it would be nice to see a re-release that included stuff like Rock and Roll to the Rescue (any versions), Kokomo (Spanish version), Make it Big (movie mix), Somewhere Near Japan (single mix), Lady Liberty etc. Even that Little Old Lady From Pasedena recording...

Summer in Paradise would be a harder sell but they could stick the UK versions on there along with Problem Child and Crocodile Rock. Not exactly a classic but if Bruce`s solo albums are considered worthy of a solo release then anything is!  Smiley

It is a shame that only Pet Sounds, Smile and the Christmas album have thus far had the full rarities treatment.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:57 PM »

I disagree. This is the most important and influential rock band America's ever produced. Good, bad or ugly, it should all be available. It's also important for it all to be available because perspectives change. In the 80's, I didn't hear too many fans cite "The Beach Boys Love You" as a favorite album but by the 2000's, nearly all hardcore fans have it near the top of their favorites lists. That happened because it became available.   
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »

Interesting to see the Brothers Rarities tracks mentioned so long ago in this thread. So was the comp Klay found the demo Boyd refers to as being sent to BRI?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »

Why weren't these albums part of the
reissue series of a couple years ago?

Because they suck more than a vacuum cleaner.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »

Ridiculous statement...if only for the fact that LA Light is a terrific record that was overshadowed by a couple of mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx