gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680716 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:40:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Couldn't Make This Up If I Tried....  (Read 4160 times)
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »

My fiancee and I are in Solana Beach, CA this weekend for a little vacation. She 's been bugging me all weekend long to walk across the street to the yoga studio and give it a try. And so wth a slight hangover this morning, I obliged. I stretched and sweated for an hour or so and kept my eye on an older guy in the back of the class, because he looked very familiar. After Beginner's Yoga 101, I told my fiancee that I was almost positve Mike Love was in our class. We waited in the parking lot for him to exit. She asked him his name, he responded "why?" She said she thought he looked familiar. He said "there's a good reason for that, my name is Mike," and proceeded to walk away.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to chat with him for a minute, but I also didn't want to bother him. However, it was neat to relay the story to my father a lifelong Beach Boys fan, who without him, I'm not sure I would have ever even known of Mike Love.

Moral of the story, Mike Love's yoga skills "Need A Mess of Help To Stand Alone."

PS I got a glance at his license plate, and yes it contains the word Love.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »

Well, considering the word "Love" shows up in all of his solo albums and he's probably nicknamed his prick the "Love seat", why wouldn't he have "Love" on his license plate?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »

Thank you for that image, Mr Positivity.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »

[quote author=DennisWilsonIsMyHero link=topic=8668.msg145930#msg145930 date=1271650876

Moral of the story, Mike Love's yoga skills "Need A Mess of Help To Stand Alone."
[/quote]I will give you every single Beach Boys cd I own if you say that to him if you see him again.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »

I guess I was kinda star struck. After the fact, my fiancee asked me why we didn't mention to him that at our wedding,  we plan to dance to a song he co wrote, "Onlly With You."

I've been kinda kcking myself because I would have LOVEd to pick his brain for a bit over a cup of coffee.

Oh well, Mike Love, Not War.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:53:47 PM by DennisWilsonIsMyHero » Logged

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »

This is off topic, but a similar story /reaction by a celebrity.

I live in Charlotte, NC, and one day my young brother and my mom are out and about, and my brother swears up and down he sees Ric Flair walking in a parking lot.  He tells my mom "MOM, THATS RIC FLAIR!" and she insists "No, that's not him" so she goes over to the guy and says "Sir, will you tell my son that you're not Ric Flair" and the guy goes "I'm Not Ric Flair" and gets in his car.  As he drives away, my brother notices the license plate says "Flair1" on it. 

LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »

Hey thanks for the yoga story.

Good to see Mike is still as charming as ever. Roll Eyes
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »

I take it you won't be changing your user name to MikeLoveIsMyHero just yet?   Wink

P.S. Tell your fiancee she was lucky he didn't try to pick her up..........

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »

Who the hell is Rick Flair?

Sounds like things have not changed over the years. I have been in close proximity to ML several times. The ONLY time he was cordial was when we were in a VIP tent before a concert for those who donated to the Love Foundation, or whatever it was called. He was smiling, talked to my wife, accepted a 2-shot picture from 1968 of Mike and myself. HOWEVER, beware if you catch him by surprise after a show or in an instance such as you described. He DOES NOT LIKE drive-by greetings from anyone but the ladies. And then only after careful scrutiny.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »

You poor, poor underprivlidged man.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:32:14 AM »

No, really, I second that... who is Rick Flair?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 01:37:07 AM »

Hell, I'm English and even I know who Ric Flair is. He's a guy who pretends (or used to) to wrestle. WWF, WWE, that kind of fakery.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 02:58:11 AM »

Ah.  Like Giant Haystacks? See, I don't follow any sport -  couldn't even tell you who manages the England football team, or name any of the players (other than David Beckham!)  Smiley

Hell, I'm English and even I know who Ric Flair is. He's a guy who pretends (or used to) to wrestle. WWF, WWE, that kind of fakery.

“We live in divisive times.”
Paulos
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »

WWE is fake?!
Jason
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »

MY WORLD IS SHATTERED!!!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »

He used to say 'Whoo!" after every sentence, and once had (or staged) a heart attack on live TV.

EDIT: He was one of Hulk Hogan's "enemies" in the late 90s.

(I'll admit it, I went through a brief wrestling fandom phase when I was 12-13.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:33:46 AM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 11:55:57 PM »

I am very thankful that Ric Flair has never registered on my radar until reading this thread. I swear I am not an insufferable elitist. I swear I swear I swear!

I just detest trashy popular culture (not all pop culture by any means) of recent vintage. SO depressing.Sad

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:08:34 AM »

...So a few weeks ago my girlfriend and I went to a Monday Night Raw, and I have to say it was awesome...I stopped watching wrestling after the Ultimate Warrior fell out many years ago. A half hour before the events began members of the auduience would be yelling "Whoo!" just like Rick Flair, and then others would follow. It was awesome to see the crowd get into the matches as much as they did knowing that it is all fake...Not only did the crowd go nuts as people climbed the top rope, or grabbed a chair, but it was way more than I've ever seen a crowd get excited at a pro sports event. At a pro event fans can take things too seriously, here it was all in good fun... except when that dude was going to have his hair cut off in the ring...thats when it got serious.  Grin
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »

I just detest trashy popular culture (not all pop culture by any means) of recent vintage.
How skewed would you need to be to consider Ric Flair to be of recent vintage? Other trashy pop culture of recent vintages detested: hair bands, Roseanne, and those "where's the beef?" commercials.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 02:56:38 AM »

Isn't the phrasing 'recent vintage' a somewhat contradiction in terms?  Huh

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 05:13:50 AM »

Isn't the phrasing 'recent vintage' a somewhat contradiction in terms?  Huh
No. Contrary to common usage, it doesn't mean "old." Merriam-Webster:
1 a (1) : a season's yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard (2) : wine; especially : a usually superior wine all or most of which comes from a single year b : a collection of contemporaneous and similar persons or things : crop
2 : the act or time of harvesting grapes or making wine
3 a : a period of origin or manufacture <a piano of 1845 vintage> b : length of existence : age

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
CJS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 06:34:41 AM »

Sounds like things have not changed over the years. I have been in close proximity to ML several times. The ONLY time he was cordial was when we were in a VIP tent before a concert for those who donated to the Love Foundation, or whatever it was called. He was smiling, talked to my wife, accepted a 2-shot picture from 1968 of Mike and myself. HOWEVER, beware if you catch him by surprise after a show or in an instance such as you described. He DOES NOT LIKE drive-by greetings from anyone but the ladies. And then only after careful scrutiny.

I had the exact same experience as you did with Mike Love in 1990.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »

Isn't the phrasing 'recent vintage' a somewhat contradiction in terms?  Huh
No. Contrary to common usage, it doesn't mean "old." Merriam-Webster:
1 a (1) : a season's yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard (2) : wine; especially : a usually superior wine all or most of which comes from a single year b : a collection of contemporaneous and similar persons or things : crop
2 : the act or time of harvesting grapes or making wine
3 a : a period of origin or manufacture <a piano of 1845 vintage> b : length of existence : age
Doh!!!, I was trying to sound clever.   LOL
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:06:08 AM by mikes beard » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx