gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:51:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's worst vocal  (Read 20086 times)
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »

On "Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight," Brian sounds OK on the chorus, but his singing on the verses is just really whiny.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »

I know they aren't technically his best vocals, but i really like his voice circa '76-'77. Chapel of Love, Back Home, Solar System...there is just something so pure and charming about them. (To my ears anyways).
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »

Least Teardrops On My Bed/Drip Drop has cocaine induced excitement and enthusiasm behind it. Grin Skatetown USA is bad vocal, with those weird lyrics that have Mike singing like he was a teenager again in the 1960s.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:55:43 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:41 AM »

That's what I said. "Teardrops On My Bed", a.k.a. "Drip Drop". But you probably knew that.  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »

Breaking down awful late 1970s unreleased Beach Boys songs so much fun. LOL But i so want to hear the "in the back of my mind" where Brian goes between his classic voice and gruff voice.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:57:38 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2011, 09:54:26 AM »

I don't think "Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight" fits into the Worst Vocal category. Not at all. Even the unreleased  version of that is great.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Klay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2011, 01:47:09 PM »

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:11:26 PM by Klay » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »

even though i like the song I would have to say "let's put our hearts together" just because it's supposed to be a ballad.."love is a woman" is similar as well,personally I htink he should have used carl fpr the ballad songs on the album or maybe AL,"solor system" is okay IMO just because it sounds more like a Burt Bacharach (scratchy voice) type song and is not supposed to be a ballad..so yeah his worst vocals IMO are on "love You" even though musically I think it's a great album..
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »

Love You is so good BECAUSE of the bad vocals. I love "Let's Put Our Hearts Together", but if it was recorded 10 years earlier... it would be pretty boring. It's probably Marilyn's worst vocal too.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »

even though i like the song I would have to say "let's put our hearts together" just because it's supposed to be a ballad.."love is a woman" is similar as well,personally I htink he should have used carl fpr the ballad songs on the album or maybe AL,"solor system" is okay IMO just because it sounds more like a Burt Bacharach (scratchy voice) type song and is not supposed to be a ballad..so yeah his worst vocals IMO are on "love You" even though musically I think it's a great album..
his worst vocal appearance has 2 be "male ego" there isnt anything worse den that.
MBE
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »

his worst vocal appearance has 2 be "male ego" there isnt anything worse den that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqjig2Yptbs
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N90zRw-2fkQ

Brian performing Darlin circa 1995. Apparently one of his first performances with The Wondermints.

You know Brian's voice doesn't sound great here, but he does sound pretty spirited and on top of it.  He sounds like he's "in the moment" rather than going through the motions.  If all his latter-day performances had that quality it wouldn't be a bad thing.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »

wow that wasnt that bad..ok it was bad but still listen 2 this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA2eZ2BqXLo
it embarasses me all the time smh..
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N90zRw-2fkQ

Brian performing Darlin circa 1995. Apparently one of his first performances with The Wondermints.

From what I understand, there's more, but the reason that's the only performance out...well....apparently that's the BEST of the performances. Sad

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2011, 03:26:58 PM »

Pretty much all of Brian's vocals on BB85 were bad.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »

I like his voice on "I'm Beggin' You Please" better than "Male Ego".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:31 PM »

Pretty much all of Brian's vocals on BB85 were bad.

u have that right lol..but carl's was still very swell.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2011, 06:46:33 PM »

Love Is A Woman without a doubt!

Love the song though.
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »

Have we really gone this long without mentioning Smart Girls?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz0SnpN_O00

A broken man too tough to cry
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »

Trick question, doesn't exist.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »

Hey does anybody remember that version of "Don't Worry Baby" from 1995 where Brian sang the lead live in Las Vegas? He did it in the original key if I can remember. Anybody know if that is floating around the interwebs anywhere? Possibly? Maybe?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »

He sounds fine on "Male Ego", to me. A bit over the top, but agayn, there's too much energy and charm there for me to think of it as bad.

He sounded worst in the early/mid 90s to me. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times... *shudders*

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »

He sounds fine on "Male Ego", to me. A bit over the top, but agayn, there's too much energy and charm there for me to think of it as bad.

He sounded worst in the early/mid 90s to me. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times... *shudders*

I agree on IJWMFTT.  As mentioned earlier, Let the Wind Blow is particularly bad, and I think Warmth of the Sun, too. On that album Brian's voice sounds the thinnest I've ever heard it, not to mention strained and pitchy. And on some of those songs he sounds even older than he does now.

Love is a Woman is really bad, too, but in general I don't mind Brian's gruff late '70s to very early '80s vocals because they had soulfulness like phirnis was saying.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:31:23 PM by Ganz Allein » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »

Trick question, doesn't exist.

Now that's funny.  Also, Brian was eating sandwiches in his tent. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »

Hey does anybody remember that version of "Don't Worry Baby" from 1995 where Brian sang the lead live in Las Vegas? He did it in the original key if I can remember. Anybody know if that is floating around the interwebs anywhere? Possibly? Maybe?

He did it in about 2005, too, but it was in Italy or something.  One of those countries other than this one. 

Sounded pretty good, all things considered.  Original Key!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx