gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:56:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's worst vocal  (Read 20348 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »

Good Time. Too sharp, too childlike.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2011, 12:19:03 AM »

Basically, anything where he's trying to "rock" out.

-- Night Time
-- Concert Tonight
-- Hotter
-- I'm Broke

All dire.

To my mind, there's a world of difference between these songs -- where Brian is awkwardly failing to sing in a style that just doesn't fit him at all -- and tunes where he's singing around or through his vocal limitations. The latter, while sometimes painful, are almost always interesting and have nice moments. The first group are just embarrassing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »

Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2011, 02:04:52 AM »

I love that era of his singing myself. Notice how he uses almost his whole range as he does all the lead on it. 19667-74 really has some of Brian's best singing because he's older and a bit more mature. It wasn't quite the same as on the early Beach Boy sides- the pre 1966 vocals are perhaps more effortless-but honestly I think he sounded slightly different because he matured. I think had he taken care of his voice in his thirties the way he did in his twenties it would never have gotten so nasal, gruff, or slurred (we have Landy to thank for the last part). I doubt he could hit it today like he did in his youth, but he would sound more professional, more like "Brian".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:21 AM »

-- I'm Broke

Oh my god, I forgot about that. That's HORRIFYING.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »

-- I'm Broke

Oh my god, I forgot about that. That's HORRIFYING.

Brian has done some good rock and/or roll vocals recently. "Goin' Home" and, to a lesser extent, "Morning Beat" from TLOS evince a new, growly vocal style. Very cool.

Reading back over this thread, it struck me once again how much better Brian's vocals have gotten since GIOMH, which was the nadir of his careless vocal style.

- B00ts
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »

Hey does anybody remember that version of "Don't Worry Baby" from 1995 where Brian sang the lead live in Las Vegas? He did it in the original key if I can remember. Anybody know if that is floating around the interwebs anywhere? Possibly? Maybe?

I'd love to hear that!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Hey does anybody remember that version of "Don't Worry Baby" from 1995 where Brian sang the lead live in Las Vegas? He did it in the original key if I can remember. Anybody know if that is floating around the interwebs anywhere? Possibly? Maybe?

I'd love to hear that!

The vocal on that is 90 percent Matt Jardine. Brian is singing along but not especially audible.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »

This still makes me sad.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »

I'd love to hear that!

The vocal on that is 90 percent Matt Jardine. Brian is singing along but not especially audible.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »

When I played the original version of "Saturday Morning In The City" for my wife, she said it sounded like a clown with blood coming out of his mouth.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »

I'd love to hear that!

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks.

The way it sounds, roughly, is the way the falsetto sounds in "Warmth of the Sun" from Stars and Stripes Vol. 1. Brian is singing that falsetto part, believe it or not, but kind of in the shadow of the younger Jardine. It sounds good, actually, but less distinctive than you might hope.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »

I'd love to hear that!

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks.

The way it sounds, roughly, is the way the falsetto sounds in "Warmth of the Sun" from Stars and Stripes Vol. 1. Brian is singing that falsetto part, believe it or not, but kind of in the shadow of the younger Jardine. It sounds good, actually, but less distinctive than you might hope.

Very interesting. I noticed Brian was sprinkled throughout S&S on the high parts (though admittedly I don't think I've ever listened to the whole album). I'm hoping we get a little bit of that on the new album.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »

His version of "Good Vibrations" on the Mike Douglas Show during the Brian Is Back campaign was the one performance of his that ever had me cringing. He was nervous but you could tell he really wanted to hit those notes... but it just wasn't happening and it was just devastating to watch.

Different strokes for different folks.  Personally, I thought it sounded awesome.  It was amazing, because here's this incredibly technical song, a production masterpiece, and the guy has the BALLS to go out there and play it with just a piano and a raw, doesn't give a sh*t 'husky' voice.  I would hold that up there as one of his best performances I've ever seen. 

It's like somebody saying they're going to perform "Beethoven's 5th, anybody got a piano?  I'm a little drunk.  I think I can pull it off, though. "

Yes, awesome post!  I agree.  I can totally understand why someone would find it devastating, too.  It's powerful regardless.  But...I come down more on your side of the fence.  I was held captive watching it.  I wanted more.  I love how he ends too..."ok, that enough..."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:57:51 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »

When I played the original version of "Saturday Morning In The City" for my wife, she said it sounded like a clown with blood coming out of his mouth.

LOL  That might be the funniest thing I've ever read!!!!!!!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2012, 09:06:32 PM »

There's VERY few Beach Boy songs I don't like...this is one.  "don't like" maybe a little strong, but...I don't know why...Good Time bothers me.  Well, it shouldn't be on Love You...that I know.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »

I'd love to hear that!

Hmm, I'd still be interested in hearing that anyways...how bout it Wirestone, ol' pal??
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »

I'd love to hear that!

Hmm, I'd still be interested in hearing that anyways...how bout it Wirestone, ol' pal??

Ha! Believe it or not, the song was on a cassette tape that fell into my hands back in the late 90s. Not sure if I even still have it. Perhaps its time for some closet cleaning.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2012, 05:32:21 AM »

She's Got Rhythm..."Laaaaaaaaast night I went out disco dancin'". Yike's...
Worst unreleased...I'm beggin You Please"...This poor guy has been sick for such a long time now.
So glad he seems the happiest he's ever been.

^
this one
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »

I'd love to hear that!

Ha! Believe it or not, the song was on a cassette tape that fell into my hands back in the late 90s. Not sure if I even still have it. Perhaps its time for some closet cleaning.

Fair enough. 'Tis cool. I wouldn't wreck my house looking for it. I do, however, remember it being on the interwebs at some point back in the day, because I had it. But I don't know where it went.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »

Now I just pictured BW as Pennywise from IT. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »

"Don't Worry Baby" from the 1981 show. What's remarkable, though, is how he instantly switched over to an equivalent harmony when he gave up trying to hit the high notes...

Yeah, that always impressed me, like the guy still it together enough to do that mid-song. Pure instincts, I guess.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »

his vocal on Dont worry Baby live in 1981?

First thing that came to my mind.
Nicko1234
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »

Brian`s vocal on the `Why oh why` section of Soul Searchin` on GIOMH is horrendous. How he could be allowed by his overseers to include this instead of Carl`s original is beyond belief.
MBE
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »

Well I think it's fantastic vocally.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx