gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:59:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's worst vocal  (Read 20101 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »

So? Al wasn't either, and he did it for years when Carl was there.

Yeah..but Carl was there. My point was they did it because he was the ONLY Wilson there.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 03:55:40 AM »

- "Hold Back Time"

- "You've Touched Me"

I would never want to include the '76/'77-era stuff, 'cause even though some of it might be technically bad on 15 Big Ones and Love You he usually sang with lots of soul. Just because he'd lost most of his trademark voice doesn't mean he wasn't capable of pulling off something remarkably touching around that time.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

Love Is A Woman studio and live!

I will second this.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 09:35:22 AM »

This isn't a bad vocal at all - but kinda eerie.
A 1965 performance of Brian singing Don't Worry Baby. Kinda crazy how much his modern voice is in apparent in his 20's voice.
Especially on the "I Don't know why, but I keep thinkin...." parts before he hits the high stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q8agQZkCfw
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »

This isn't a bad vocal at all - but kinda eerie.
A 1965 performance of Brian singing Don't Worry Baby. Kinda crazy how much his modern voice is in apparent in his 20's voice.
Especially on the "I Don't know why, but I keep thinkin...." parts before he hits the high stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q8agQZkCfw

Reason for that - by this time (late March 1965), Brian had only played a week's worth of live dates since Christmas Eve 1964. Ring rusty.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »

His version of "Good Vibrations" on the Mike Douglas Show during the Brian Is Back campaign was the one performance of his that ever had me cringing. He was nervous but you could tell he really wanted to hit those notes... but it just wasn't happening and it was just devastating to watch.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »

"i'll bet he's nice" or "male ego" lol
oldsurferdude
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »

Love Is A Woman studio and live!

I will second this.
And I'll make it three.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »

I always felt Back Home was Brian's worst vocal. Or possible I Wanna Pick You Up.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »

"Back Home" has way too much charm to think of it as even being bad, for me, anyway. Nowhere near as good as "Please Let Me Wonder" or something, obviously, but still very worthwhile.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 08:32:32 PM »

I'm Begging You Please stands out.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 07:20:12 AM »

his vocal on Dont worry Baby live in 1981?

.... is so bad, it's a good way to illustrate to people bad.  I mean you can go "wanna hear something bad?" then play THAT,.... then they always go "That's Bad".  

as for "I wanna pick you up"... I think most of that is Dennis, Brian's just doing the "pat, pat, pat pat pat her on her butt... butt.. she's going to sleep, Be Quiet!" which is the best part of the song, lol.  Also Dennis' vocal on it I think sounds great. I also can't understand people mentioning any of the Love You stuff, Brian sounds great on there.  15 Big Ones he sounded great, too.

I can't think of any BB's songs that were released, that he sounds bad on.  I'd probably have to go with the bum notes on Fairy Tale as well, although I love the harmony round at the end.  Gives me chills.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:25:59 AM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 07:23:26 AM »

His version of "Good Vibrations" on the Mike Douglas Show during the Brian Is Back campaign was the one performance of his that ever had me cringing. He was nervous but you could tell he really wanted to hit those notes... but it just wasn't happening and it was just devastating to watch.

Different strokes for different folks.  Personally, I thought it sounded awesome.  It was amazing, because here's this incredibly technical song, a production masterpiece, and the guy has the BALLS to go out there and play it with just a piano and a raw, doesn't give a sh*t 'husky' voice.  I would hold that up there as one of his best performances I've ever seen. 

It's like somebody saying they're going to perform "Beethoven's 5th, anybody got a piano?  I'm a little drunk.  I think I can pull it off, though. "
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 07:28:25 AM »

"Back Home" has way too much charm to think of it as even being bad, for me, anyway. Nowhere near as good as "Please Let Me Wonder" or something, obviously, but still very worthwhile.

I agree! The 1977 Largo performance however is really bad, even though still quite "interesting".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 07:41:11 AM »

"Don't Worry Baby" from the 1981 show. What's remarkable, though, is how he instantly switched over to an equivalent harmony when he gave up trying to hit the high notes...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 07:45:25 AM »

Yup.  So what you have there, is a vocal SO BAD, that even Brian agrees it's bad, halfway through the song.  Easily wins for worst vocal ever. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:28 AM »

Well it was interesting to see what happens when Brian tries to sing like he did in 1960s with his gruff voice.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »

What's so crazy about it is, Brian's supposedly got 'perfect pitch' which I understand only means that you can HEAR pitch with no compass, doesn't necessarily mean you can SING pitch with no compass...

So what THAT means is, Brian frequently will sing a bad note, and know he's singing a bad note.  He'll sing entire songs out of key.  He's done it for a long time, and is fine with it.

EXCEPT this performance.  It's *SO* bad, that he can't keep singing it like that, even though he's obviously usually perfectly fine with singing out of key. 

I mean... that's BAD. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 08:07:57 AM »

As soon as I saw the thread title I immediately thought, "Love Is A Woman". "I'm Begging You Please" ain't too whippy either, though it's unreleased.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »

Brian's vocals on Love is a Woman crack me up everytime in a good way. I am 100% sure that he intends every phrase and nuance.  LOL LOL
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »

I would never want to include the '76/'77-era stuff, 'cause even though some of it might be technically bad on 15 Big Ones and Love You he usually sang with lots of soul. Just because he'd lost most of his trademark voice doesn't mean he wasn't capable of pulling off something remarkably touching around that time.

This is exactly what makes some of the "bad" songs still enjoyable for me. Most of the songs in this era he still found joy in making music. Even really depressing songs like Still I Dream Of It have a tinge of joy in the ability to express these complex feelings. For me, the stuff that he is checked out of is the worst. I might have to go "Rainbow Eyes" the off key Walls of Brians is unbearable.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »

I really dislike these "worst of" threads, I always feel pained when I read some of my favorites dissed.

I cannot believe people have listed "Don't Back Down," "Transcendental Meditation," "Take a Load off Your Feet," "Solar System," "I Wanna Pick You up" (half of which is an incredible Denny vocal!), and "She's Got Rhythm."  Everyone of these is an all-time favorite for me and I wouldn't change a thing about them.

Also, criticizing the '88 "Love and Mercy" vocal?  BW88 was the last time Brian had any of his old vocal magic, so I'm scratching my head on that too . . . .

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 09:20:16 AM »

I've never heard any of GIOMH but if I did I'd no doubt pick something from it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 09:40:21 AM »

Solar System is another bad vocal. "Sooooolar Syyyyystem brings us wiiiiiisdom!". That's terrible. Rotten to the core.

Teardrops On My Bed".  Another bad vocal.   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »

"Drip Drop" is pretty awful, too.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx