gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 11:00:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs that feel forced  (Read 7672 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:26 PM »

I know it's just a matter of opinion, but I do love reading everyone's opinion , but I was wondering, over the years, the songs written or released or performed in concerts that seem forced, feel free to use the whole BB/BW catalog/career....I recall a lil while ago that AGD said he felt Mexican Girl (from TLOS) felt forced, and I was just wondering why and if anyone else feels this way about other tunes.

Just thinking off the top of my head, performing Hawaii on the Lei'd in Hawaii shows is kinda of forced/obligatory, even though it sounds fantastic...prolly why only one verse was sung.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:06:47 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »

most of the '80's concerts if you ask me.....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:20:45 PM »

good call, lots of songs to choose from: Buzz Buzz, Lady Liberty, Merry Minute.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »

Oh Darlin from KTSA. Awkward attempt to reference God Only Knows in a far inferior song with underdeveloped melody and backing track.

Summer in Paradise. A rocking tune (especially live) that's all but strangled by the parade of cliches and song title references in the lyrics.

I'm So Lonely. Brian attempts to write a melancholy song but is really not feeling it that day. (Well, the bridge is decent.)

Make it Good. Sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Pretty much anything written by Jardine solo.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:46:36 PM »

I'll venture one that always gets me, it's one of my favorite BB songs (obviously), but from the first time I heard it I hated part of the second verse to "Good Vibrations," the line "when I look in her eyes, she goes with me to a blossom world." It doesn't rhyme like the first does, but more importantly it always felt like a forced psychedelic lyric, something Mike couldn't really acheive. (Not that Tony's lyric is any better.) The rest of the song is great, obviously, but that line always felt really forced.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »

California Calling..... How She Boogaloo'd It....and, although I like Slip On Through, it's still Dennis channelling 'Darlin'.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:00:09 PM »

Boogaloo is spot on. Incredibly forced, and just an awful song all round.

TD -- I can't believe you feel that way about "blossom world." I always thought it was kind of awesome.

I'll go out on a limb and add Disney Girls, just because I never understood where Bruce found that extra syllable.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 04:39:55 PM »

WHAT? I love Dis-a-ney Girls!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »

You know what?  This is a great question, because if I was fishing for one word to describe WHY so much of the Beach Boys' catalog post '70 fails to satisfy, "forced" would be a great word.  Because if you think about it, there's nothing really offensive about doing something that's retro and fun, if that's really what you are FEELING, but so many of the Beach Boys' stuff is so self-conscious  ('what do people want us to do?') that it kind of ruins any fun you might have with it.  "Summer In Paradise" and "Student Demonstration Time" are both great exhibits for this kind of thing, epitomizing the approach in two different eras.

Part of the reason, say, "It's OK" works is it sounds so effortless and natural.  It's just as dumb as, say, "Kona Coast" or "Summer Of Love" but it doesn't sound as contrived for some reason.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »

Most anything post 1965 that was trying to go back to the formula, starting with Do It Again. Some exceptions would be Sumahama, Keeping the Summer Alive and Kokamo.

That Same Song is one of the worst songs ever written. It can't be the same guy that wrote Pet Sounds.

All BB solo efforts except for POB and TLOS.

Help Me Rhonda sessions Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »

most of the '80's concerts if you ask me.....

I would think things like that would feel forced because of the need for money

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 12:35:31 AM »

You really want to hear rushed? Listen to Brian's demo of Mona. Throughout the whole song, it's like his voice and fingers playing the piano are in a race to outdo each other.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 01:20:07 AM »

Brian's Back, California Calling, most of KTSA and what follows...

Honk! Honk!
MBE
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 01:35:34 AM »

California Calling sticks out.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 05:55:31 AM »

Make It Good.....?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »

i understand Make it Good, it's like Denny has all this energy and what's to pour it into something, it's more of a great track than a song....it's more of just a thought....

it's a great warmup track for a solo career though......wonder why he didnt utilize Darryl Dragon during POB/Bambu?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 12:09:48 PM »

I appreciate Make it Good; I love the orchestration. There's just not much of a song there. And Dennis tries so very hard, but there's little that's profound or meaningful in the song. Thus, forced. I'd contrast it with something like "Be With Me" or "River Song," both of which are huge productions but actually complement and support melodies and lyrics with some heft.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »

Part of the reason, say, "It's OK" works is it sounds so effortless and natural.  It's just as dumb as, say, "Kona Coast" or "Summer Of Love" but it doesn't sound as contrived for some reason.

I never thought of It's OK as being dumb. At all! Ever!!

oldsurferdude
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »

I never thought of It's OK as being dumb. At all! Ever!!

It would be ok if the lovester wasn't singing lead. It's natural alright-sounds like a real lamb bleating, Shocked
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 12:47:26 AM »

Rock And Roll To The Rescue

Smart Girls

Concert Tonight

and, um... Rio Grande (despite brilliant sections... must be the main theme).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 08:39:08 AM »

Susie Cincinnati on 15 Big Ones feels forced to me. The single version with the lead guitar is superior, and it tries too hard to rock and comes up short. Not terrible, but forced in my opinion.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »

Susie Cincinnati on 15 Big Ones feels forced to me. The single version with the lead guitar is superior, and it tries too hard to rock and comes up short. Not terrible, but forced in my opinion.

I find the production of that one unbearable. It hurts on the headphones.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 09:15:07 AM »

I find the production of that one unbearable. It hurts on the headphones.

How many versions/mixes exist of Susie? At times I've loved this but others I'd agree, yes, it feels forced.

“We live in divisive times.”
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »

Rock And Roll To The Rescue

Smart Girls

Concert Tonight

and, um... Rio Grande (despite brilliant sections... must be the main theme).

I always thought R&RTTR was a good song live (right after they released it that is)

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »

How many versions/mixes exist of Susie? At times I've loved this but others I'd agree, yes, it feels forced.

I'm curious about this too.  As a side note, when they played it live it really smoked.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx