gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:24:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnsone & Blondie Chaplin getting fired  (Read 13073 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »

I was wondering about this today on the way home from work. As they were both dismissed at the hands of the groups management at the time I would appreciate any info on the circumstances surrounding these two incidents. I'm well aware Jack Rieley HATED Bruce - that's public knowledge. In contrast the whole Blondie thing seems rather vague. Just how did the hiring/firing work in the BB's? Jack Rieley is hired by the band and sacks Bruce. Now surely he would need the express consent of all the other members to do so? That may sound like a daft question but the point I'm trying (rather longwindedly) to make is it's always stated that Jack fired Bruce but if he had to get the others to agree to this then in reality The Beach Boys sacked Bruce (just at the instigation of Rieley).  Now I have read that at the time Bruce was somewhat on the outs with the others anyway so there probably wasn't much of a fight put up from either side. But did anybody fight Blondie's corner when the same thing happened a few years later to him? Family ties or not does anybody actually feel that Steve Love was more valuable to the BB's at this time than Blondie? Didn't Carl fight to keep him in at least? I feel it's VERY overlooked that losing Blondie effected the groups sound to a huge degree. Very big mistake IMO.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:01:06 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32:17 PM »

I was wondering about this today on the way home from work. As they were both dismissed at the hands of the groups management at the time I would appreciate any info on the circumstances surrounding these two incidents. I'm well aware Jack Rieley HATED Bruce - that's public knowledge. In contrast the whole Blondie thing seems rather vague. Just how did the hiring/firing worked in the BB's? Jack Rieley is hired by the band and sacks Bruce. Now surely he would need the express consent of all the other members to do so? That may sound like a daft question but the point I'm trying (rather longwindedly) to make is it's always stated that Jack fired Bruce but if he had to get the others to agree to this then in reality The Beach Boys sacked Bruce (just at the instigation of Rieley).  Now I have read that at the time Bruce was somewhat on the outs with the others anyway so there probably wasn't much of a fight put up from either side. But did anybody fight Blondie's corner when the same thing happened a few years later to him? Family ties or not does anybody actually feel that Steve Love was more valuable to the BB's at this time than Blondie? Didn't Carl fight to keep him in at least? I feel it's VERY overlooked that losing Blondie effected the groups sound to a huge degree. Very big mistake IMO.

Bruce: depends on who you listen to as to what happened. Bruce himself says he wasn't happy with the direction in which Rieley was taking the band, so he quit, amicably. According to Brian, there was a huge bust-up. But all agree, Bruce left - he wasn't fired.

Blondie: similarly, he quit, after a backstage altercation with then-manager Steve Love at Madison Square Garden, December 19th, 1973. Allegedly, racial epithets were applied to him.

So, neither fired.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:39:20 PM »

Bruce claims he didn't like Rieley's ideas for the band; Brian claims a huge argument led to Bruce's departure. Allegedly, Bruce was sick and tired of the heavy drug use on the part of the Wilsons and Blondie Chaplin.

The Blondie situation stemmed from Steve Love bitching at him about chewing gum onstage. When Blondie fired back, Steve allegedly took the gum out of his mouth and threw it in his face and let a number of racial slurs fly at him.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »

I was wondering about this today on the way home from work. As they were both dismissed at the hands of the groups management at the time I would appreciate any info on the circumstances surrounding these two incidents. I'm well aware Jack Rieley HATED Bruce - that's public knowledge. In contrast the whole Blondie thing seems rather vague. Just how did the hiring/firing worked in the BB's? Jack Rieley is hired by the band and sacks Bruce. Now surely he would need the express consent of all the other members to do so? That may sound like a daft question but the point I'm trying (rather longwindedly) to make is it's always stated that Jack fired Bruce but if he had to get the others to agree to this then in reality The Beach Boys sacked Bruce (just at the instigation of Rieley).  Now I have read that at the time Bruce was somewhat on the outs with the others anyway so there probably wasn't much of a fight put up from either side. But did anybody fight Blondie's corner when the same thing happened a few years later to him? Family ties or not does anybody actually feel that Steve Love was more valuable to the BB's at this time than Blondie? Didn't Carl fight to keep him in at least? I feel it's VERY overlooked that losing Blondie effected the groups sound to a huge degree. Very big mistake IMO.

Bruce: depends on who you listen to as to what happened. Bruce himself says he wasn't happy with the direction in which Rieley was taking the band, so he quit, amicably. According to Brian, there was a huge bust-up. But all agree, Bruce left - he wasn't fired.
When did Brian say this? Also important to keep in mind that the BB tried (AFAIK, and if anyone wants to correct me go ahead) to replace Johnston with Hinsche around 1970.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »

The story about Bruce being fired... 1. Was Billy Hinsche invited to be a Beach Boys like Bruce, photo-wise? 2. What the heck, in the next album Bruce got two compositions and three lead vocals. Those guys are nuts.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »

mike also said bruce left on his own after a group meeting. very amicable. said so in a new musical express june 10 1972 interview.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »

When did Brian say this? Also important to keep in mind that the BB tried (AFAIK, and if anyone wants to correct me go ahead) to replace Johnston with Hinsche around 1970.

Brian said that 1972/1973. You're trying to argue against established fact - neither Bruce nor Blondie was fired. They quit.

And yes, you're correct - Billy was asked if he'd like to replace Bruce 1969/1970.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:33:48 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jason
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »

And I'll bet every day of his life, Billy says "thank f*** I didn't become a member!" Imagine how things could have gone...
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »

What do you think would have been different with Billy as a Member of the Beach Boys?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »

Brian said that 1972/1973. You're trying to argue against established fact - neither Bruce nor Blondie was fired. They quit.

And yes, you're correct - Billy was asked if he'd like to replace Bruce 1969/1970.
Believe me, I'm not trying to argue established fact---I believed you in the first place just never heard that Brian had said that and wanted to confirm that Billy was mentioned. Still friends? Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »

Believe me, I'm not trying to argue established fact---I believed you in the first place just never heard that Brian had said that and wanted to confirm that Billy was mentioned. Still friends? Grin

I'll ask my wifeandmanagers.  Roll Eyes

Jason
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:11:27 AM »

I'll ask my wifeandmanagers.  Roll Eyes

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

WOW. I think we have a new funniest post ever on this board.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 01:00:15 AM »

If memory serves, despite JR's tales of the band split into factions, both Dennis and Mike weren't exactly warm towards Bruce in intervews after he'd left, but, as you say, he turned up on albums afterwards and continued to play the odd gig until he was asked to produce LA. Then again, Carl didn't want him in the photo for Ten Years Harmony and he had, after all, appeared as a bona fide BB (as opposed to 'guest') on five of the studio albums from this period, including those from which most of the songs were taken and some of his songs were on the album! Those crazy Beach Boys!

Honk! Honk!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 05:11:12 AM »

If memory serves, despite JR's tales of the band split into factions, both Dennis and Mike weren't exactly warm towards Bruce in intervews after he'd left, but, as you say, he turned up on albums afterwards and continued to play the odd gig until he was asked to produce LA. Then again, Carl didn't want him in the photo for Ten Years Harmony and he had, after all, appeared as a bona fide BB (as opposed to 'guest') on five of the studio albums from this period, including those from which most of the songs were taken and some of his songs were on the album! Those crazy Beach Boys!

I think Carl just wanted the picture to represent those Beach Boys who were "official" over the whole span of time covered by the compilation, so no Blondie, Bruce or Ricky, even though they were all official members at different points along the way.

As far as the idea of Bruce behing fired, that seems to stem from two Leafs:  David Leaf wrote in his book, "The one member who never wanted to leave the band was ultimately let go in the spring of 1972.  An Earl Leaf gossip column noted that 'On the seventh anniversary of attaining his official status as a Beach Boy, guitarman Bruce Johnston got the axe.  Carl Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine voted unanimously to drop him from the group due to hostile vibes his lefeways caused them.'"  DL then goes on to write, "Bruce claims that he left the group by mutual consent, but regardless of how 'mutual' the decision was, there is no question that it was Jack Rieley who forced Bruce out of the group.  Bruce:  'I don't know if he was trying to get rid of me; I think he was just trying to redirect a band.'"  Leaf, Gaines, and Bruce himself also imply that Bruce was trying to convince the group to sack Rieley.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 05:18:18 AM »

Bruce claims he didn't like Rieley's ideas for the band; Brian claims a huge argument led to Bruce's departure. Allegedly, Bruce was sick and tired of the heavy drug use on the part of the Wilsons and Blondie Chaplin.

The Blondie situation stemmed from Steve Love bitching at him about chewing gum onstage. When Blondie fired back, Steve allegedly took the gum out of his mouth and threw it in his face and let a number of racial slurs fly at him.

I didn't know Blondie was a drug user, what kind?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 05:26:39 AM »

I didn't know Blondie was a drug user, what kind?

Tea.

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 08:19:43 AM »

And, of course, Bruce's best song was recorded during this era...

Honk! Honk!
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:06:56 AM »

While we're on this time period could anyone please point me to the last group photo with Bruce before he left? I've seen it before I believe, but can't find a copy. Thanks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »

David Leaf's book (2nd edition), p149. Everyone except Brian.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »

Cool info and opinions guys. Another Beach Boys myth busted! I do strongly get the feeling if Bruce hadn't quit he would have been pushed out before much longer. There is an interview with Mike in the Badman book shortly after his going and while Mike in no way trashes BJ and is cordial throughout you can kind of tell he isn't exactly sorry to see him go. Ironic seeing as Bruce is now universally regarded as the Lovester's right hand man. I also recall a group interview in the book from about 1970 where Bruce complains to Brian live in mid interview that he wishes the group were less democratic and more ruled by Brian. Not what you should really say in an interview is it?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »

Which brings another interesting question. What did Carl and Al think of Bruce when he returned? Obviously, he was voted back in right? Was it unanimous?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »

Which brings another interesting question. What did Carl and Al think of Bruce when he returned? Obviously, he was voted back in right? Was it unanimous?

Initially he was brought in to help with the singing, then production, and almost immediately the road.  When the "Light Album" was released, Carl said in an interview (Time Barrier Express), "Alan and I had been talking with each other and we both said how great it would be for Bruce to come back in, and be involved with us.  Dennis had also expressed that on his own, and Brian totally independently...had called Bruce and said 'Come on down to Miami".   Notice how Mike wasn't mentioned!  It was supposed to be a temporary return, but the rest is history!
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »

Yeah, I've seen that edited one. Isn't there one with Brian in the back, looking depressed as hell, drinking a beer? I'm pretty sure I've seen such a photo (online even) but can't seem to find a copy of it...thanks for the help though.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:54:43 PM by slothrop » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 01:32:06 AM »

Initially he was brought in to help with the singing, then production, and almost immediately the road.  When the "Light Album" was released, Carl said in an interview (Time Barrier Express), "Alan and I had been talking with each other and we both said how great it would be for Bruce to come back in, and be involved with us.  Dennis had also expressed that on his own, and Brian totally independently...had called Bruce and said 'Come on down to Miami".   Notice how Mike wasn't mentioned!  It was supposed to be a temporary return, but the rest is history!

My feeling is that Brian's call to Bruce to come down to Florida coming straight after Yetnikoff making his famous statement about being royally rogered is somewhat less than a coincidence.

Consider - Brian can't (or won't) do it... Carl's still cleaning his act up... Dennis - yeah, OK... Alan tried with MIU... and Mike doesn't do production. What was the alternative ?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 02:24:20 AM »

Yeah, I've seen that edited one. Isn't there one with Brian in the back, looking depressed as hell, drinking a beer? I'm pretty sure I've seen such a photo (online even) but can't seem to find a copy of it...thanks for the help though.

http://beachboyscentral.com/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx