gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 07:41:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just noticed something cool about Dennis!  (Read 1561 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:53:50 PM »

We all know that Dennis didn't play "normally" drum-wise. Meaning he didn't play his hi-hat or ride with his right hand crossed over his left, but rather his hi-hat/ride with his left hand and his (HEAVY) right hand on the snare. This seems to have been predominantly true, but I just watched the Beach Boys T.A.M.I show performance, and on Surfer Girl, Dennis switches over to his right hand doing triplets on the ride and his left hand on the snare (normal way of playing)! He also switches his snare hand to traditional grip, meaning he holds it Charlie Watts style, like a jazz player!

This is pretty freaking cool and versatile behavior for a "clubber"

DENNIS RULES!

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:32:36 AM »

The version of 'I Get Around' on the TAMI show is one of my favorite BB performances. Dennis is beating the skins like an animal (at one point tossing one of his sticks aside and grabbing another), and the other guys are up front like an early 60's version of The Ramones, speeding through the song in about half the time as the single version.

(Yes, I know the above statement is a bit over the top; I just love this clip!)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »

I know what Brian probably meant (if he ever said it) that Dennis was a "clubber"....he was!!!!  But I was always impressed with his drumming.  It was good.  It was powerful and he had GREAT feel -- always in the song, feelin' the song.  If he was truly "a blunt instrument" I don't think it would have worked.  But he added a great aggression to their music -- I LOVE THOSE 70s/80s CONCERTS!!! -- with Denny's monster sound.

I don't want Neal Pert (??spelling??) on California Girls.  I want BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!

Evil

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »

I love that Denny Wilson guy!

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:37:37 PM »

One thing I've always wondered about the TAMI show: I wonder if there was any awkwardness between Chuck Berry and the Beach Boys? I can't imagine that Berry was too pleased with "Surfin' USA" and "Fun, Fun, Fun"...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx