gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
682048 Posts in 27674 Topics by 4096 Members - Latest Member: MrSunshine September 28, 2024, 03:06:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possibility to put out unreleased material  (Read 8883 times)
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »

Hi!
I'm a Beach Boys die-hard fan, and I know that the Boys have an incredible number of unreleased songs, and concerts.
I know that Capitol Records never will release some products like Adult Child, an entirely collection of unreleased songs, etc...
So...Brother Records could release these material as cds in a special site and sell these products in this site.
Jimi Hendrix's family did a thing in this way. to release "underground" recordings (studio and livE) made by him, they created the Dagger Records label, and they sell their cds only in the Dagger's site.
So..BBs, if they'll want, can make this and put out post seventies (and not the Capitol owned recordings) unreleased material in this way.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »

Hi!
I'm a Beach Boys die-hard fan, and I know that the Boys have an incredible number of unreleased songs, and concerts.
I know that Capitol Records never will release some products like Adult Child, an entirely collection of unreleased songs, etc...
So...Brother Records could release these material as cds in a special site and sell these products in this site.
Jimi Hendrix's family did a thing in this way. to release "underground" recordings (studio and livE) made by him, they created the Dagger Records label, and they sell their cds only in the Dagger's site.
So..BBs, if they'll want, can make this and put out post seventies (and not the Capitol owned recordings) unreleased material in this way.

Great idea !

And they could call the site...

ummmmmmmmm...

errrrrrrrr...

I got it...

BEACH BOYS CENTRAL !!!

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:59:33 PM »

Yeah.  And the site to do this should be called "beachboyscentral.com".  Coming to a computer near you about ten years after the last original BB is dead and buried.

And the heirs decide making money is a good thing!
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:21:43 PM »

lol Tongue
Hi Andrew!
First, I really apreciate your site (I enter Bellagio every week) and your postings.
Second: I have BBs Central link here for years Tongue So this is the idea behind Beach Boys Central?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:15:28 AM »

That was one of the initial reasons for setting up BB Central.  Sad

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:23:51 AM »

and the initial reason for it not being up is?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:46:54 AM »

and the initial reason for it not being up is?

The Beach Boys.  Sad

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 05:58:24 AM »

good call

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »

But hey, at least the site says coming soon...... Tongue

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »

WOAH!

I almost did the exact same thing with that pic! LOL

~post of the century~
-Mikie

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »

So sad that this site couldn't go on.
Because it was the only way that we'll hear one day a Adult Child released with superb mix and mastering, some soundboard concerts like the 72-73 shows recorded for In Concert (or the 68 concert with Little Bird in their setlist), and an entirely collections of only unreleased songs.
Capitol only want to make compilations with a few "new" things every year, and they'll never explore the 70's material.
And sure, they want mainstream products.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »

So sad that this site couldn't go on.
Because it was the only way that we'll hear one day a Adult Child released with superb mix and mastering, some soundboard concerts like the 72-73 shows recorded for In Concert (or the 68 concert with Little Bird in their setlist), and an entirely collections of only unreleased songs.
Capitol only want to make compilations with a few "new" things every year, and they'll never explore the 70's material.
And sure, they want mainstream products.
Capitol/EMI has immediate financial problems that might sink that ship, the Beach Boys are the least of their worries. BRI has four voters who, from what I can tell, aren't all that interested in releasing rarities. Mike has said putting out the unreleased stuff is 'scraping the bottom of the barrel." I doubt Brian ever thinks about it at all. Carl's kids don't seem very motivated either. Al is spending years and years tweaking his own album, he's not gonna be much help with this either. Unless all of those entities are pointed in the same direction nothing is gonna happen. Dennis' estate has no say. Elliot Lott has been in the head position at BRI for a long time, I don't know him but I've been told he's an honorable person, managing to survive and maintain a status quo. It would seem logical that a relatively passive approach is the one being taken by most of these people, they think of basic survival as the priority. Therefore, nothing much will change as long as the cast remains the same. Money is a motivator, but there isn't much money in these type of rarities proposals. It takes someone, or a team of people, with crazy passion for the aesthetic potential of such a release to make it happen. But the people with real passion are essentially out of the power loop. The entire enterprise is shrinking, including the fan base. However, there is always potential for something to gel, because the music is just so damn good. That's all i'm gonna say, and I probably already said too much.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 10:24:28 AM »

Capitol/EMI has immediate financial problems that might sink that ship, the Beach Boys are the least of their worries. BRI has four voters who, from what I can tell, aren't all that interested in releasing rarities. Mike has said putting out the unreleased stuff is 'scraping the bottom of the barrel." I doubt Brian ever thinks about it at all. Carl's kids don't seem very motivated either. Al is spending years and years tweaking his own album, he's not gonna be much help with this either. Unless all of those entities are pointed in the same direction nothing is gonna happen. Dennis' estate has no say. Elliot Lott has been in the head position at BRI for a long time, I don't know him but I've been told he's an honorable person, managing to survive and maintain a status quo. It would seem logical that a relatively passive approach is the one being taken by most of these people, they think of basic survival as the priority. Therefore, nothing much will change as long as the cast remains the same. Money is a motivator, but there isn't much money in these type of rarities proposals. It takes someone, or a team of people, with crazy passion for the aesthetic potential of such a release to make it happen. But the people with real passion are essentially out of the power loop. The entire enterprise is shrinking, including the fan base. However, there is always potential for something to gel, because the music is just so damn good. That's all i'm gonna say, and I probably already said too much.

Keep talking Jon, you make 100% sense to me.  While the heads have no interest in releasing this stuff the rest of us continue to be more frustrated, pissed off and disenchanted with the band.

For Mike Love to say that this would be "scraping the bottom of the barrel" let me ask this of Michael Edward Love: Mike baby, hasn't what you and Bruce have been doing for all these years been just the same?  You are in a cover band with little or no credibility with the true fans and you consider it progressive?  You've reached the bottom of YOUR barrel in terms of calling yourselves "The Beach Boys."

For all those that make the so called "decisions" (Beach Boys, Capitol, etc.) the future of the Beach Boys legacy lives in the vaults of Capitol and Brother.  We are done with reissues, Pet Sounds and Smile.  All of us know there is a lifetime of unreleased quality material (call them rarities if you wish) waiting to be heard.

Damn.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:28:14 AM by Not Dick Dale » Logged

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »

To get the website up and running would be a minimal cost compared to putting out a CD of everything, they could make easy money this way.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

Question, (and I apoligize if this has been asked elsewhere); have these previously unreleased songs already been remastered and stored digitally? Or would that work still have to be done?

If that work is already done, I imagine they could put it out any day if they chose to do so. It doesn't cost much for the use of server to host the files...
Paulos
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »

This thread has made me sad, proper versions of Carry Me Home and WIBNTLA seem further away than ever  Cry
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 01:00:06 PM »

For Mike Love to say that this would be "scraping the bottom of the barrel" let me ask this of Michael Edward Love: Mike baby, hasn't what you and Bruce have been doing for all these years been just the same?  You are in a cover band with little or no credibility with the true fans and you consider it progressive?  You've reached the bottom of YOUR barrel in terms of calling yourselves "The Beach Boys."

Ahhhhhhhhhh... crap, here we go again.  Angry

1 - the 'true fans' who have either seen Mike & Bruce since 2004, or have open minds (or both) have been giving them generous (and deserved) props for their live set. I've seen them in 2004, 2005 & 2008, in the UK & the US, and each time they were better than before - and in 2004, the year of BWPS, they just blew me away. As for credibility, you ever see the BB in 1981-2, or 1991 ? They sucked, and that was with Brian, Carl & Alan on board.

2 - they call themselves 'The Beach Boys' because they have been awarded a license to do so by Brother Records Inc.: want to know who voted to give them that license ?  The voting members of BRI, that is, Mike, Brian, Alan & Carl's estate. The vote was 3-1. If Brian and/or Alan wanted to comply with the terms of the license, they could tour as The Beach Boys too.

Paulos
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »

You seem to be having to explain this a lot lately Andrew, relax, beathe and try to remain calm! On a related note, do you know if The Beach Boys are playing mainland UK this year? So far the only UK date announced is for Belfast and I'm not sure I can justify flying to Belfast just to see them......or can I?
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »

Ahhhhhhhhhh... crap, here we go again.  Angry

1 - the 'true fans' who have either seen Mike & Bruce since 2004, or have open minds (or both) have been giving them generous (and deserved) props for their live set. I've seen them in 2004, 2005 & 2008, in the UK & the US, and each time they were better than before - and in 2004, the year of BWPS, they just blew me away. As for credibility, you ever see the BB in 1981-2, or 1991 ? They sucked, and that was with Brian, Carl & Alan on board.

2 - they call themselves 'The Beach Boys' because they have been awarded a license to do so by Brother Records Inc.: want to know who voted to give them that license ?  The voting members of BRI, that is, Mike, Brian, Alan & Carl's estate. The vote was 3-1. If Brian and/or Alan wanted to comply with the terms of the license, they could tour as The Beach Boys too.

#2 is yesterdays news but regarding #1, I did see the Beach Boys in 1981 and correctamundo, they did suck.  Calling themselves the Beach Boys is a joke because they are "members" of the Beach Boys but who thinks of anyone in that band a Beach Boy?  It should be "Mike Love and Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys with supporting band."  That title I could believe.

Regardless, that's a different conversation altogether, not for here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »

You seem to be having to explain this a lot lately Andrew, relax, beathe and try to remain calm! On a related note, do you know if The Beach Boys are playing mainland UK this year? So far the only UK date announced is for Belfast and I'm not sure I can justify flying to Belfast just to see them......or can I?

My information is no mainland shows this summer.

And... I'm explaining it because there seems to be a growing pocket of Blooness hereabouts, although I suspect most of them haven't seen an M&B gig for a few years.

Paulos
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »

And... I'm explaining it because there seems to be a growing pocket of Blooness hereabouts, although I suspect most of them haven't seen an M&B gig for a few years.

That's a shame as I do really want to see them play after reading very good reviews from yourself and many others over the past two years.

What exactly is the blooboard? I've seen in mentioned dozens of times both here and on the SDV2 board but have never bothered to google it, it is never talked about in a positive light!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »

There is, of course, a difference between having a license to tour as "The Beach Boys" and actually being the group of singers and musicians popularly identified as such.

This is the rub. But as long as Mike and Bruce do it, and have the seeming backing of Brian (who has no interest in touring under the name) and Carl's estate, things are the way they are. It's not perfect, but it's not as heinous as some bands from the 1960s. Mike, given his bad press, gets a rougher time from the media than some of those other bands, though.

As for unreleased stuff -- the record industry has imploded. There's no money in it anymore. I think it's safe to say that unless the band really wants to put something together (and has an outlet other than an old-fashioned record company), we won't hear the unreleased tracks in official form.

Ever. Really.

If Brian lives another 20 years (not out of the question, really), we may never even see an official '67 Smile release. There simply won't be a company to do so.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 03:46:10 PM »

We'e all real thrilled that you have seen the Mike and Bruce Tribute band-and thrilled that you like them as well. And if people do not want to see the Mike and Bruce Tribute Show that's ok too. And if we choose to comment on why we don't want to spend our time seeing them, we'll do it.  So  how about cooling it  with Mike and Bruce and let everybody make their own decisions, ok?? Quit spreading yor yellow spray all over this board, will ya?? Afro
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 04:10:45 PM »

The only people who have a problem with Mike & Bruce touring as "The Beach Boys" are us die-hard fans. Most of the people who attend these concerts could care less who is in or out of the band. As long as it stays that way, and folks continue to go to the shows, then the shows will continue until Mike calls it quits. Also, you can call the band whatever you like, but in all cases you are wrong. Whether we like it or not, this is the 2010 version of "The Beach Boys". It's not classic, but it is the best it is ever going to get. I wouldn't be at all surprised that when Mike & Bruce retire, that a band will be put together to tour with the name. All it would take is a corporate vote at BRI to make it happen. At this point the Beach Boys are only a corporate name; a revenue stream.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 05:38:09 PM »

But as long as Mike and Bruce do it, and have the seeming backing of Brian (who has no interest in touring under the name) and Carl's estate, things are the way they are.

Is it safe to assume from this sentence that Al was the dissenter in the 3-1 vote AGD mentioned?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx