gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:34:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Had Sunflower been a hit...  (Read 4668 times)
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »

... do you think Brian would have remained an active participant in the Beach Boys and managed to avoid the steep decline he experienced in the early to mid 1970s?

I've seen it suggested that he took the failure of the album very hard, as if it were a final repudiation of Brian and his work, and a message that the public didn't want to hear from him anymore.

Had the album been embraced then and there, when it first came out, do you think it would have had any effect on Brian's self-esteem and his mental state in general?  Or do you think things would have played out exactly as they did in real life?

Glenn
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:25:49 PM »

Interesting question.  I know we all go this-or-that song should have been a hit, but usually we fail to take into account that a hit was (and to some extent still is) something that sounds "right" on the radio.  Using that criteria, the one song on SUNFLOWER that always struck me as a hit that never was was actually "Deirdre," although it might have been about a year too late for its Carnaby Street vibe.  And I wonder if a Bruce tune hitting for the band might have upset the applecart in a whole different way.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »

It's hard to be totally certain, not knowing how any of his other problems (mental illness, drugs) may have effected him in the event of a success with Sunflower, but I'd think it would have helped.   It wasn't enough to simply be making great music, i think he really wanted that acceptance too.  Knowing how competitive he was and how the idea of "failing" to a guy that had been raised by Murray, had to have been nearly the worst thing ever.   To have ditched his own direction for the new democratic band structure (music wise), yet knowing he was still the lynch pin for its success or failure must have been a mind effer in itself, but then to witness his efforts (and he put forth many good efforts during the time leading up Sunflower) pretty much put down and ignored - it could've been pretty devastating.  
But then again, success or not, he may have travelled the same course anyway.   Undecided
mtaber
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »

"Deirdre" a hit?  I never could imagine in my wildest dreams that the Boys could've had a hit with that...

"This Whole World" should've been the lead single, but even that wouldn't have been a hit.  The Beach Boys were pretty irrelevant when Sunflower came out. 

But, if the album HAD been a hit, I think it would have only minimally impacted Brian's future role.  We're talking about a guy who had way more serious issues to deal with than just the flop of an album.

A more interesting question might be, what would have happened if a song by Dennis or Carl would have been a major hit single?  That would have taken a lot of pressure off Brian.  What if "Its About Time" was a monster hit?  Or "Long Promised Road"?  What would have been Dennis' or Carl's reaction to the pressure to deliver a follow-up hit?  For, in spite of how many good songs the other brothers may have written, they never knew that same pressure that Brian always faced, that of "being the meal-ticket"...
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:11:01 PM »

Some of Dennis' friends say this was the exact train of thought that led Dennis to derail his own solo career in '77...
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »

A more interesting question might be, what would have happened if a song by Dennis or Carl would have been a major hit single?  That would have taken a lot of pressure off Brian.  What if "Its About Time" was a monster hit?  Or "Long Promised Road"?  What would have been Dennis' or Carl's reaction to the pressure to deliver a follow-up hit?  For, in spite of how many good songs the other brothers may have written, they never knew that same pressure that Brian always faced, that of "being the meal-ticket"...

If a Dennis and/or Carl song would have been a hit, I wonder if they would have delayed the start of the oldies shows, and/or if Mike still would have been able to take control over the band towards the end of  the 70s?
mtaber
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »

My fantasy back in the late '70's was that Dennis would write a hit, Carl would write a hit, Brian would write a hit, Mike would have a series of nervous breakdowns and leave the group, and the band would re-name itself "BCD Wilson" and become cool...
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:16 PM »

I think it would've rejuvenated Brian somewhat. And feeling successful again, Carl and the rest of the guys probably wouldn't have seen the need to refresh the band with "new blood," so Ricky and Blondie probably wouldn't have entered the picture.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:10:41 PM »

Sunflower was killed by its timimg.

If it were released in thr 1974-1976 time frame it would hve sold millions.

If it were a success in 1970 I don't know how it would have effected Brian given his illness.  I do suspect, though, that there would have been no "Surf's-Up", CATP or Holland and that Blondie and Ricky never would ahve become Beach Boys.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »

I disagree a little, Sunflower died IMO because the BB were as cool as...Doris Day in 1970. In a the year where CSNY was huge something like The Beach Boys just seemed square and unhip. Really, can you blame people with one look at the Sunflower cover.

On the other hand, when they had songs like "Slip On Through" and "It's About Time" and "Forever," with the right counter-culture promotion they could've been decent hits...but what do they release as a single? "Tears in the Morning". Mind-boggling if you ask me. What I'm getting as is I think Dennis was fairly in tune to 1970 radio but never was given good promotion or the chance to break out. Every time I hear "Slip on Through," I think 'man that's cool, that should've been on the radio a lot!'

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »

Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower Sunflower

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »

"All I Wanna Do," "This Whole World," and "It's About Time" scream counter-culture to these ears. Granted I wasn't around at that time, but they definitely sound of the era. As much as Warner promoted the album I think they missed out on that angle.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:26:08 AM »

Speaking of Sunflower, when it was reviewed, someone said it was the Sgt. Pepper of beach boys albums......anyone care to explain how they're alike to me?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 11:31:46 AM »

My fantasy back in the late '70's was that Dennis would write a hit, Carl would write a hit, Brian would write a hit, Mike would have a series of nervous breakdowns and leave the group, and the band would re-name itself "BCD Wilson" and become cool...

HA! I love it. Mike Love is a tool.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:31:35 PM by DSamore » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »

"All I Wanna Do," "This Whole World," and "It's About Time" scream counter-culture to these ears. Granted I wasn't around at that time, but they definitely sound of the era. As much as Warner promoted the album I think they missed out on that angle.
IAT was the only thing close to "counter culture" at the time. That, along with CCW and surprisingly ASM got decent airplay, but it didn't help sell the album. It just wasn't their time yet. After Big Sur, things started turning around for their live act.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »

Actually, it would have been more incredible in the late 60's-only add Al. Perhaps Smile would have happened. And yes, he is. Azn

HA! I love it. Mike Love is a tool.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »

Uhhh, OK.

Anyways, I thought the band thought of Sunflower as the most group democratic, least Brian-centric/responsible at that time album?  Maybe it was just Bruce?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »

Speaking of Sunflower, when it was reviewed, someone said it was the Sgt. Pepper of beach boys albums......anyone care to explain how they're alike to me?

I think the statement was made in a British review, and rather than saying that the albums were alike, it was saying that this was the BB's magnum opus and it was very eclectic - like the Sgt. Pepper album was to the Beatles.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »

Never was too crazy about sunflower.  Just a few songs.   Maybe half.  I wonder sometimes how the band might have evolved without the drugs and the feeling that they needed to be hip and individuals as artists.......

Would they have done better......made better music....or would they have become even more passe' even quicker.....and lost the mythology they have otherwise garnered these past couple or three decades?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 06:17:24 AM »

..i would have sh*t my pants from shear delight, if sunflower had been a hit. back then i lived and breathed anything beach boys. took a lot of sh*t from a lot of people liking them then. would have been in heaven if i saw sunflower high on the lp charts and all over the radio.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »

While Sunflower may have been a disappointment to a band with dozens of hits under its belt, I'm sure there were bands that would've killed to see their record even make it into the top 200, or on the charts at all. At least it was a bigger hit in Europe.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »

Never was too crazy about sunflower.  Just a few songs.   Maybe half.  I wonder sometimes how the band might have evolved without the drugs and the feeling that they needed to be hip and individuals as artists.......

Would they have done better......made better music....or would they have become even more passe' even quicker.....and lost the mythology they have otherwise garnered these past couple or three decades?

Interesting.

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 11:41:41 AM »

An even better thought I often think about is "what if the beach boys FULLY got behind Brian and gave him the support he needed from Pet Sounds on?"

imagine...

makes me crazy wondering the possibilities. imagine them all helping him and pitching in, taking stress off, recognizing him for the genius that he is.
mtaber
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »

Also, think about the impact having a studio right in your home had on Brian... anytime he ventured downstairs, there was that pressure of "Brian's coming, let's get him to work on some new material"... no wonder he stayed in his room as much as possible...
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »

Some of us think that is what happened, the Boys fully gave Brian their support even when his demands seemed crazy or humiliating to them.

Another way to think of the home studio is think of the freedom it gave Brian and the responsibilities it relieved him of and how it allowed him to do what he wanted when he wanted without hassle and it was his choice.  I don't doubt he regretted his choice because of the intrusion [and Marilyn's understandable discomfort] but I doubt he regretted it because it increased his productivity. He took full advantage of that freedom to be productive in that first year. IMO.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx