gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 01:53:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why isn't Brian on the 20/20 cover?  (Read 6328 times)
Synth Wash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 05:24:41 AM »

Does anyone else find this picture creepy-looking? I feel like Brian's hiding some kind of vampire teeth under that chart! Smiley

"Holds and tickles and hugs out the night"
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 05:46:03 AM »

Always thought Brian not being present on the sleeve really added to the overall mystery of the genius recluse, literally hiding behind the other band members and occasionally contributing glimpses of utter fucking brilliance. 20/20 might be the group's most uncanny creation anyway, given the Manson tune's presence, the salvaged Smile material, and just the overall vibe of the album per se. It might also be the BB's one and only record to showcase Brian's (then still intact) ability to hastily churn out one of his classic fun-in-the-sun rockers alongside some of the most daring and experimental music ever produced by a major pop group (I'm thinking of "Cabinessence", of course). His trademark genius still all over the place, the man himself is nowhere to be seen. I just love this kind of stuff.
Paulos
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »

A better question would be why isn't Brian on "I Can Hear Music," it's a Spector cover!
Well if Bruce Johnston remembers right, he didn't sing on that one.

I believe it's apparent that TdHabib knows this. I think he was just commenting how odd it is that the first song that did not include Brian at all was a Spector cover. You figure he would've been pretty hyped to sing even backing on that, considering his love for Spector's music...So what was Brian up to at the time that he couldn't contribute? Clearly his voice is all over the Sunflower tracks that were recorded in early 69, but for the last couple months of 68 he was pretty quiet.

I thought that 'How She Boogalooed It' was the first song without any Brian involvement?

First song written without his involvement, although I believe he at least participated in the performance and production. "I Can Hear Music", he had absolutely nothing to do with.

Thanks for the clarification Runners. Must add thats it is slightly disheatening to realise that Brian's voice wasnt part of the brilliant a capella part in ICHM.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »

Being younger, I didnt hear Caroline No on the radio, but i did request it a few years ago on my oldies radio station and they replied with: "man, I haven't heard that in years."    Razz

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »

On the same track, I can't believe "Caroline, No" got to #32 on the charts. I love it, it's probably my favorite ballad Brian's ever written. It's just I can't imagine it getting that much radio play. Did ANYONE ever hear it on the radio?

Yes, in March and April of 1966 it received a decent amount of airplay on the San Diego and Los Angeles radio stations i listened to.  It made it to number 23 on one San Diego radio station, and to number 28 on the other.  Of course, Sloop John B was a much bigger hit and was released just a couple of weeks later.  When I first heard Caroline, No on the radio I presumed that Brian Wilson had left the band, but a friend of mine who was a huge BB fan told me he hadn't and said that releasing one song by BW and another by the BBs at virtually the same time allowed the BBs and Capitol Records to have two BB related songs on the radio at the same time.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »

Here's another part of the mystery in regards to 20/20 especially "I can hear music" - . Fact! It has been mentioned on many occasion that this song was the first ever BB's song not to be either written, arranged or produced by Brian and the first where he isn't singing or playing either. In short he had zero to do with it. So why in the linear notes for the twofer CD reissue does Brian write "I wanted the instrumental track of ICHM to be smooth and subliminal. I used acoustic guitars." EH?  Did he shout down instructions to Carl from his bedroom or something?!!! 

Does anyone know if Brian even really wrote the notes for all the Capital twofers?
Any info would be much appreciated and hurry as I never know when I'll next be able to gain access to this site!!! LOL!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »

Here's another part of the mystery in regards to 20/20 especially "I can hear music" - . Fact! It has been mentioned on many occasion that this song was the first ever BB's song not to be either written, arranged or produced by Brian and the first where he isn't singing or playing either. In short he had zero to do with it. So why in the linear notes for the twofer CD reissue does Brian write "I wanted the instrumental track of ICHM to be smooth and subliminal. I used acoustic guitars." EH?  Did he shout down instructions to Carl from his bedroom or something?!!! 

Does anyone know if Brian even really wrote the notes for all the Capital twofers?
Any info would be much appreciated and hurry as I never know when I'll next be able to gain access to this site!!! LOL!

I think it would be fairer to say Brian dictated the notes to the Capitol 2fers, in response to relevant questions. Said responses were then 'polished'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »

Thanks AGD, I suppose they could tack BW's sprawling squiggle underneath any old tat if they so wished couldn't they?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:48:39 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 08:22:29 AM »

On the same track, I can't believe "Caroline, No" got to #32 on the charts. I love it, it's probably my favorite ballad Brian's ever written. It's just I can't imagine it getting that much radio play. Did ANYONE ever hear it on the radio?
   I was living in Boston in 66 and never heard anything about it on the radio or print and they played alot of BB on the AM stations at that time
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »

I think it would be fairer to say Brian dictated the notes to the Capitol 2fers, in response to relevant questions. Said responses were then 'polished'.

So does this mean he had anything to do with ICHM? Did he really have some hand in the production/arrangement?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »

So does this mean he had anything to do with ICHM? Did he really have some hand in the production/arrangement?

According to Bruce, who was there - no.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 09:10:11 PM »

Did ANYONE ever hear it ["Caroline, No"] on the radio?

Yes, "Caroline, No" definitely got airplay in Memphis.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 10:01:19 PM »

Did ANYONE ever hear it ["Caroline, No"] on the radio?

Yes, "Caroline, No" definitely got airplay in Memphis.
It's so funny, I believe you, but "Caroline, No" is so out of step with what was popular in 1966. As I said before, it's one of my very favorite BW songs; but if I ever hear it on the radio I'll probably crash the car in shock.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx