gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:55:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson The Producer.  (Read 2837 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2006, 02:41:55 PM »

Some maintain that Brian Wilson merely followed Phil Spector in his search for the ultimate Wall of Sound. Obviously with such gems as the SMiLE album and its original sessions we know Brian's creativity and flexibility in the studio is second to none. At times I am so baffled as to how they brought those evocative images of lofty mid-1800's towns to tape with such apparent ease. The session was booked, the man walked in and the music bounced around the walls in excited leaps.
   As we've all heard, it's quite easy to butcher a classic Beach Boys tune. It's done left and right to this day, and even by the Beach Boys themselves on occasion. This is just testimony to Brian's strength in the studio, his vision and accomplishment. Listening to the Pet Sounds box set is like watching a painter work on his most beloved masterpeice, each day bringing a new element and suprisiing all with its beauty. As you can tell, at this particular moment i'm completely knocked back with all of these productions.

Wouldn't It Be Nice
Barnyard
Child Is The Father Of The Man
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Good Vibrations

Etc....now....discuss or something.....

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:33:59 PM »

Sloop John B.
Cabinessence backing track
Kiss Me, Baby

Yes.

Watch out for snakes!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:28:52 PM »

"sloop john b" is incredible.  I think the best thing you can say about Brian's work in the studio is that he was fearless and had little preconcieved notions of what a song was supposed to sound like.  Lots of people can do that... just make things that sound different, but Brian always kept his finger on the pulse of what would still be hot and commercial.  Even some of his more adventureous music still has a commercial quality to it.  Even Barnyard ended up being pop music at it's finest.

Here's a guy who just thought of what he wanted to do and did it.  Somehow, someway, he made the drums kicking in on the second verse of "sloop john b" sound like the ship started sailing.  He does things you can't even explain.  He writes melodies like the french horn in God Only Knows, that are so simple and EASY but yet timeless and unbelievably beautiful.  He stops the music for acapella breaks at the end of "Hushabye" or "This Whole World" but may, if he feels like it that day, stop the music for an acapella break dead in the center of the song, as he did on "Sloop John B".  He records hugely overproduced masterworks like "Heroes and Villians" and then almost non-existant backing tracks to songs like "With Me Tonight" for the same album.  He throws away some of his best stuff (Soulful Old Man Sunshine) and releases some of his worst (Hey Little Tomboy).  He writes one of the world's greatest love songs on Accordion (Wouldn't it be nice).  When he finds himself unable to decide what direction to take a song, he just takes it all directions (good vibrations).  Like Picasso, he thinks an artist never completes anything, only abandons it... so he may never finish a song (old man river)... he may release a song, then rework it and release it again on the next album (Help Me Rhonda) or he may release a song only to redo it 35 years later (Let Him run Wild).  Here's a guy so balsy he had the nerve to put his GIRLFRIEND on a single while she was still in High School (Be True To Your School).

That's what I like most about his production, just the "I can do anything" attitude. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:05:52 AM »

That's what I like most about his production, just the "I can do anything" attitude. 

Yeah, exactly. Andrew Goldham (is that the right name?) comes to mind retelling the story when he heard Brian say: "One day I will write songs the people will pray to"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:38:43 AM »

So close on the name there Rocker...it was Andrew Oldham.  I love that quote too...that was Brian at the height of his creative confidence. 
Jason
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:57:34 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, all I need is a cursory listen to Sloop John B. as a reminder of just how great Brian was at his peak.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 11:45:26 AM »

So close on the name there Rocker...it was Andrew Oldham.  I love that quote too...that was Brian at the height of his creative confidence. 

hmmm.....sounds familiar.... Wink 
Thank you.... Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx