gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:22:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Surfin Safari
5 - 4 (3.8%)
4 - 14 (13.5%)
3 - 56 (53.8%)
2 - 24 (23.1%)
1 - 6 (5.8%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surfin Safari  (Read 57829 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 09:51:51 PM »

Brian doesn't sing high on this album. Silly stuff but fun in a way. The vocals are sloppy so it's hard to tell but I think Brian and Mike sing Summertime Blues. I think I hear Carl too. Dave probably joins in the mix. Surfin USA is WAY better but CHug a Lug, Surfin, Surfin Safari, 409, even Ten Little Indians are pretty cool. Cuckoo Clock's funny in an ironic way.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 04:55:14 PM »

I had 2 get this piece of trash to get surfin usa.....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 03:31:30 PM by Keeny wok a poo lah » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 10:37:51 PM »

What's not to love?

Cuckoo Clock.

That is my favorite song on the album!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 05:40:48 AM »

Well, Im easy to please, I think. Ill give it a three out of five. I enjoy it, I like the sound and the energy. When I listen to it, I can almost feel the band's innocent excitement. I'm sure in 1962 it was even cooler. It's got humor, energy and some good tunes. A few of the tunes could have been produced a bit better, I don't mean soundwise, but I feel they had a good melody and they squandered it a bit, but that's what beginner's do I reckon. It' sall part of the charm.
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 05:02:53 PM »

Believe it or not, there was a time when "Surfin' Safari" was the ONLY pre-Pet Sounds 60s BB album in print (not counting compilations).  It was a post-Endless Summer reissue with nothing but the track titles on the center of the back.  I filled up the (wide) back margins with Rat Fink stickers on my copy.

I had "Endless Summer" and then bought this.  I thought every Beach Boys record I would buy would be as great as "Endless Summer."  After spinning it I thought this album sucked and I was only 10 years old.  I can't even imagine what I'd think of it now.

Still, I understand they were kids doing the best record they could.  That's fine, but it doesn't mean I want to be subjected to it.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »

I don't enjoy this that much, with not really a song I consider essential.  Historically it's relevant, but I'd take the notorious albums of the 70's and 80's ahead of this in terms of sheer listening experience.  It's not that inconsistent, but it has a low high.  Some of the ideas are not bad, notably the verses of County Fair (which was used in I Do I think) and Cuckoo Clock.  Based on the result here though, they need work.

Surfin' Safari - 3/5
County Fair - 3/5
Ten Little Indians - 3/5
Chug-A-Lug - 3/5
Little Girl (You're My Miss America) - 4/5
409 - 3.5/5
Surfin' - 3/5
Heads You Win, Tails I Lose - 3/5
Summertime Blues - 3/5
Cuckoo Clock - 3.5/5
Moon Dawg - 3/5

That'll round to a 3.
The Shift - 3.5/5

Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »

Not one of my favourites.  1 star.

Track picks:  Surfin' Safari (+), Moon Dawg (+)
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »

3.  I love Little Miss America. 
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »

I rate it a 3. Not a great album overall, but a few songs I really love.

It's a lot of fun, and I'd rather listen to Chug-A-Lug, Ten Little Indians, Cuckoo Clock, or Little Girl than anything on Sunflower
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:37:03 PM by Black Tiger » Logged

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »

It's a lot of fun, and I'd rather listen to Chug-A-Lug, Ten Little Indians, Cuckoo Clock, or Little Girl than anything on Sunflower

Hmm, are you just saying this to get a reaction Wink If you are serious though I'm shocked! So you'd take Chug-A-Lug over This Whole World for instance? Shocked
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 08:22:09 PM »

I'm serious, and yes, I'd take Chug-a-Lug over This Whole World six days a week and twice on Sunday. With Chug-a-Lug what you see is what you get, a fun little root beer anthem written by teenagers. Sunflower is self-important AOR pap with too much Bruce Johnston. Lyrically, it's no more advanced than Surfin' Surfari. Give me:

"Here a mug, there a mug, everybody chug-a-lug
Give me some root beer (chug-a-lug chug-a-lug chug-a-lug)"

over:

"You are there like everywhere like everyone you see
Happy cause you're living and you're free"

The former is just a goofy, fun song; the latter is bad high school poetry
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:23:44 PM by Black Tiger » Logged

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 09:03:18 PM »

Okay that's cool, I can see where you are coming from but I still disagree with you... Sunflower, while not flawless, is a pretty solid album in my opinion... I guess I have never really analyzed the lyrics though as I don't care for lyrics too much.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 01:25:27 AM »

I think that the lyrics of This Whole World are alright. That line you quoted is deeper than you think...It's Brian trying to comfort himself. Brian is NOT like every one he sees, he just wants to be. (And not everyone is happy just because they're living and they're free, but shouldn't they be?)

I think the lyrics are coming from the same place as Chug a Lug, which I do kind of enjoy, too.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 02:19:53 AM »

I always find it strange when people criticize other peoples words/lyrics cause they say that it's not deep enough, too arty or whatever... I mean, maybe for the critic it is, but who says it's not 100% heartfelt from the writers point of view?
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 10:10:25 AM »

You're both right to a degree. It wasn't a great example for me to pick because I also don't really care much about lyrics, haha. My point was just that people are so reverent about Sunflower, and I just don't see why. Musically I find it boring, and lyrically...I appreciate the "team" effort of the album I guess.

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »

Personally, I'd never dream of putting Surfin' Safari on the same level as Sunflower.  It's probably my least favorite Beach Boys album.  That doesn't mean it's bad, for nothing in it is horrible.  There just isn't much I desire about it, and I'd rather one great song and 11 clunkers than 12 songs that I'm indifferent on.  Just me of course.  The only thing I really cherish about it is that it led to amazing things in the future.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2009, 08:06:19 AM »

Listened to this last night. I still like it. I love the innocence, I love the off-the-wallness of some of the non-surfing songs. It's silly but there's something that gets it up for me in there; I guess it's the spirit of the whole thing, the weird sort of sadness mixed with humor in songs like County Fair or Heads You Win.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »

I think that the lyrics of This Whole World are alright. That line you quoted is deeper than you think...It's Brian trying to comfort himself. Brian is NOT like every one he sees, he just wants to be. (And not everyone is happy just because they're living and they're free, but shouldn't they be?)

I think the lyrics are coming from the same place as Chug a Lug, which I do kind of enjoy, too.

My opinion is that those lyrics from This Whole World are about spiritual love, and the feeling of Oneness with the world/cosmos/people.  Brian experienced this in his psychedelic experiences..and maybe in meditation as well?
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »

I rate it a 3. Not a great album overall, but a few songs I really love.

Hey, don't be picking on Sunflower!!  If you meant to type Smiley Smile, I'll go along with that!  Cool

.....well, if you don't count GV and H&V, of course.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:49:11 PM by sockittome » Logged
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »

You know, it's not too often I listen to Surfin' Safari and Surfin' USA, but when I do, I always enjoy where it's all coming from. Sure, this album is quite primitive and artless, like crude cave paintings by a 2-year-old compared to much of the spires of brilliance that would come later. But you know what? This and Surfin' USA are FUN LPs to listen to, and I think that was the whole point, and it seems like, judging by so many comments on this album, a lot of people tend to forget about fun records. It's not high art, it's not art of ANY kind, but I find it oddly enjoyable and it puts a smile on my face. Especially 'County Fair' and 'Chug-A-Lug'. I'd honestly rather here the young, Pendleton-clad scrubby South Bay lads here barely bash out 'Little Girl (You're My Miss America)' than hear much of their pot brownie-induced giggles slugging through the mud and demented barbershop of Smiley Smile. There, I said it.

(and I like Smiley Smile...just sayin'....)

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »

A 3 for me. Ten Little Indians is not a favorite at all. I really like Cuckoo Clock for some reason. I think it is Brian's voice. A first complete album that wasn't too bad.

Highlights include the title track, 409, Cuckoo Clock, and Surfin'.

4/5 Surfin' Safari
3/5 County Fair
2/5 Ten Little Indians
3/5 Chug-a-Lug
3/5 Little Girl
4/5 409
3.5/5 Surfin'
3/5 Heads-Tails
3/5 Summertime Blues
3.5/5 Cuckoo Clock
3/5 Moon Dawg
3/5 The Shift
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:56:56 PM by LetHimRun » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »

Just got the twofer the other day...man, this is a lot of fun..... I love it. Gave it a 3.

I think Mike's voice sounds great, and there is a purity that prevails throughout this record that makes me feel younger again, and also like a kid in southern california in the early 1960's, I guess...if that makes any sense...also reminds me why I got into the band in the first place, many years ago....
DefMode66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »

Surfin Safari peaked at #37 on the charts and had a 37 week run. All of the instruments are played by the 5 Beach Boys and shows their raw talent but great talent non the less.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »

I give this album a rather harsh 2 out of 5. The musicianship is fairly rudimentary and the harmonies are nowhere near as developed as they would later become. There are several cute songs like the title track, Surfin', 409 and Chug-a-lug. I also like Cuckoo Clock but maybe that's just me. It's a shame that they didn't include any of the slow songs that they'd been working on like Surfer Girl, Their Hearts were Full of Spring or Lonely Sea.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 04:24:14 PM »

If nothing else, this album made me appreciate the technical brilliance of the later albums more than I usually did.

Seriously, try listening to "Chug-A-Lug", and then immediately listen to "Kiss Me Baby". It's a great effect.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:09:27 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx