gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:45:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Mythbusters  (Read 52515 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »

Myth: Jan Berry wrote all of the Beach Boys' hits.

Fact: It was actually CHUCK Berry who wrote most of them, except for the one's Brian wrote in Holland...

?

find some old copies of the newsletter "friends of the beach boys" and you will understand...  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
mtaber
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »

Myth: "Friends of the Beach Boys" was an incredibly funny newsletter...

Fact: Take out the words "incredibly funny" and you are spot-on...
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »

But then it would say:

"Friends of the Beach Boys" was an newsletter.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »

What about all that stuff about Murry abusing brian, shoving his face in a pile of sh*t and hitting him with a 2 x 4?   Myth?  Fact? Exaggeration?  Hype to go along with Brian as mad genius?  (do we all think too much about this sh*t?)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »

what's the story about the re-writing/ re-recording of the old BB hits in the 70s...is this just another myth? how far were these recordings taken? demos or just ideas written on a piece of paper?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:14 PM »

MYTH:  The story of The Fantastic Mr. Fox.  It's a work of fiction by the wonderful Roald Dahl.

FACT:  I loved the book as a kid, just saw the movie (loved that too) AND it has a cool soundtrack with (and this is pertinent to why I am posting this) 3 Beach Boys songs (two of them being extra suede choice-wise!  Smokin)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:55:52 PM by Paul » Logged
Jason
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »

what's the story about the re-writing/ re-recording of the old BB hits in the 70s...is this just another myth? how far were these recordings taken? demos or just ideas written on a piece of paper?

Those were the so-called "Irving Almo" demos...Brian along with, I think, Tandyn Almer and Stan Shapiro, basically taking the old hits and writing more "modern" lyrics to them. I believe Alan Boyd mentioned that they had discovered a cassette which contained some of these recordings, but that the tape was in very poor condition and needed some restoration after it was transferred to digital tape.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:04:52 PM by Richard Head » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »

Wow...I wonder how "good" they were.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »

What about all that stuff about Murry abusing brian, shoving his face in a pile of merda and hitting him with a 2 x 4?   Myth?  Fact? Exaggeration?  Hype to go along with Brian as mad genius?  (do we all think too much about this merda?)

That's a good question also.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2010, 12:40:21 AM »

But then it would say:

"Friends of the Beach Boys" was an newsletter.

Subscribers would say that was open to debate, too...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2010, 03:05:35 AM »

What about all that stuff about Murry abusing brian, shoving his face in a pile of merda and hitting him with a 2 x 4?   Myth?  Fact? Exaggeration?  Hype to go along with Brian as mad genius?  (do we all think too much about this merda?)

That's a good question also.

Hitting him round the head/ear with a 2x4/baseball bat, thus causing Brian's deafness in one ear - no

tying him to a tree when he caught him beating off - yes

liberal use of a belt - yes

letting a boat fall on his hands - yes (according to Brian)

Brian crapping on Murry's dinner plate and putting  on the table in front of him - yes

Just your average late 50s/early 60s American family.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »

Brian was deaf from birth, right?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2010, 03:23:42 PM »

Can someone confirm or deny this one? I read this in a magazine years ago and it's stuck with me ever since.

Myth: Back in his wilderness years, Brian ate a birthday cake everyday because he liked the frosting.

Sounds like it might be from Gaines, but I've never read that.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »

Can someone confirm or deny this one? I read this in a magazine years ago and it's stuck with me ever since.

Myth: Back in his wilderness years, Brian ate a birthday cake everyday because he liked the frosting.

They were Cupcakes.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »

MYTH:  The story of The Fantastic Mr. Fox.  It's a work of fiction by the wonderful Roald Dahl.

FACT:  I loved the book as a kid, just saw the movie (loved that too) AND it has a cool soundtrack with (and this is pertinent to why I am posting this) 3 Beach Boys songs (two of them being extra suede choice-wise!  Smokin)

Ol' Man River wasn't even an album track! Is the version in the film extended or a different mix because I didn't recognize some of the parts when I saw the film. Anderson always has a keen ear for music in his films...his seemingly sudden interest in the Boys makes me hope there will be a more widespread reevaluation of their post-Pet Sounds material in the near future. It'd be nice to hear "Yes! Awesome, Beach Boys!" as opposed to "Really?" when I tell someone new they're my favorite band...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »

The version in the film is just the Hawthorne version welded onto the Twofer version. And nothing in the film is bootlegged, if thats what you mean....

The rest of the soundtrack is also wonderful, i highly recommend picking it up. And, it's simply a great film.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »

From the mouth of Brian himself - in a Q Magazine "Cash for Questions" feature (roughly 2005). He also said Mike had the best beard during the "hairy" years...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2010, 03:20:36 PM »

A correspondent of mine told me that, during the Pet Sounds and Smile sessions, Brian Wilson would make tapes of himself singing all the vocal parts in order to provide reference for the rest of the band. He even said that Terry Melcher and Neil Aspinall heard acetates.

Is there any truth to this? If so, do we have any bootlegs? The only thing I've heard resembling this is the Don't Talk thing he recorded for The Wrecking Crew.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:21:51 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »

Those were the so-called "Irving Almo" demos...Brian along with, I think, Tandyn Almer and Stan Shapiro, basically taking the old hits and writing more "modern" lyrics to them. I believe Alan Boyd mentioned that they had discovered a cassette which contained some of these recordings, but that the tape was in very poor condition and needed some restoration after it was transferred to digital tape.

Has Alan ever mentioned which songs they redid, what kind of arrangements (piano & vocal demos?), how Brian/Tandyn/Stan sounded, etc?
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2010, 01:11:16 AM »

Myth: Dennis was the only surfer in the group!

Fact: Mike, being older than Dennis actually had swimming lessons years before Dennis, and (according to my sources) actually paddled out into the deep end on a toy surf board for a few seconds before tumbling into the water a soggy, sobbing, prematurely balding mess, therefore making him THE original surfer of the group!

Myth: Brian recorded an album called Pet Sounds!

Fact: (ask Stebbins!) Dennis actually recorded the same album IN ITS ENTIRETY in the same studio with the same musicians (out of Brian's pocket incidentally) and then crept into Brian's room at night and hooked up a tape recorder so he could play the session tapes to Brian via headphones as he slept. Brian would wake up in the morning and pad over to the piano and grab some sad sack (Asher usually) and force him to sit down with the pad of paper and transcribe the Dennis fed poetry as if filtered out of him!

Also of note, the track Kokomo was actually originated by Dennis for inclusion on Pet Sounds but, in another incredible stroke of Dennis genius, was held back because of a charming kid Dennis picked up hitchhiking by the name of Tom Cruise in whom Dennis saw potential. This kid was introduced to Mike Love and a script for a "fun in the sun" themed summer blockbuster script was written and sealed away in ice for the right moment.

Incidentally, Dennis played drums on all of the Cocktail soundtrack songs! Hal Blaine was drafted in early on but could only stand in shock as Dennis (and a young John Stamos) laid out all the drum/percussion tracks in one single magical afternoon at Gold Star.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2010, 03:27:19 AM »

derp de derp

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »

Myth: We know almost everything of the BB's history.

Fact: According to Bruce, the public know 90% of only 10% of the true BB's history.

Fact II: Erik H hasn't changed those stats... Grin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »

A correspondent of mine told me that, during the Pet Sounds and Smile sessions, Brian Wilson would make tapes of himself singing all the vocal parts in order to provide reference for the rest of the band. He even said that Terry Melcher and Neil Aspinall heard acetates.

Is there any truth to this? If so, do we have any bootlegs? The only thing I've heard resembling this is the Don't Talk thing he recorded for The Wrecking Crew.

The "hum-de-dum"s from the Good Vibrations-sessions sound like Brian-only to my ears.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2010, 07:58:07 PM »

Myth - Brian Wilson is a genius.

Fact - Brian Wilson is a hard-working guy.
C.Miller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »

Fact: (ask Stebbins!) Dennis actually recorded the same album IN ITS ENTIRETY in the same studio with the same musicians (out of Brian's pocket incidentally) and then crept into Brian's room at night and hooked up a tape recorder so he could play the session tapes to Brian via headphones as he slept.

Hmm... well if Stebbins said it...  LOL

The "hum-de-dum"s from the Good Vibrations-sessions sound like Brian-only to my ears.

Marilyn at least is on there also.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx