gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:57:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Mythbusters  (Read 52487 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »

Great post, great thread..

Can't believe I missed it too

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »

The second vocalist on "Summertime Blues" is David Marks.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »

Then who is the "Nick"/"Nik" mentioned on the voice-over? In 14 years, it seems that everybody has turned a deaf ear to that and pretended that it's not there...I'm not saying it's NOT Dave, but what's the deal with that announcement?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »

Then who is the "Nick"/"Nik" mentioned on the voice-over? In 14 years, it seems that everybody has turned a deaf ear to that and pretended that it's not there...I'm not saying it's NOT Dave, but what's the deal with that announcement?

Nik Venet.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

Now, the next part of that question: why is his name on the announcement if he's not one of the vocalists?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2011, 11:30:43 AM »

Myth Busssssssters!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:43:12 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:49 AM »

MYTH: The Beach Boys formed when Murry and Audree Wilson went on a trip to Mexico on Labor Day Weekend and the Wilson brothers rented instruments with money Murry an Audree left for them to buy food with.

There's a LOT of research that's been done subsequent to those Cabinessence board findings 10 years ago. Check out the thread elsewhere on THIS board for another comprehensive investigation on this subject. Good stuff!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »

Okay, every Beach Boys fan and his duck knows Nik Venet produced the Surfin' Safari album (or, at least, was credited with it). But still....why was his name announced in the voice-over, implying he was the other vocalist besides Carl?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »

Nik Venet produced the Surfin' Safari album. Or at least took credit for it. I think Brian was more involved in the production of the album than Nik was.

Listen to Nik on SOT Vol. 1. He's in the control booth in the studio at Capitol talking to the other guys. He says David, sporting a little beard, looks like Jesus. Brian can also be heard talking to Nik from the studio floor. This was first heard by collectors/fans back in 1998/1999 when the SOT's first started coming out. It's always been acknowledged that the voice on the talk-back was Nik's.

You know who the girl was on "County Fair", saying "C'mon, Nicky" don't you?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:45:19 AM by Mikie » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »

Nik Venet produced the Surfin' Safari album. Or at least took credit for it. I think Brian was more involved in the production of the album than Nik was.

Listen to Nik on SOT Vol. 1. He's in the control booth in the studio at Capitol talking to the other guys. He says David, sporting a little beard, looks like Jesus. Brian can also heard talking to Nik from the studio floor. This was first heard by collectors/fans back in 1998/1999 when the SOT's first started coming out. It's always been acknowledged that the voice on the talk-back was Nik's.

You know who the girl was on "County Fair", saying "C'mon, Nicky" don't you?

It would be a very little beard - on 9/6/62, David was 13 years and 15 days old. I think the "David" in question is the engineer.

"A voice-over during the session identifies one of the takes as being "with Carl and Ni[c]k,""

Actually the talk-back says "take six with Nick" - no mention of Carl.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:55:17 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »

I was thinking the same thing when I typed that, AGD. I'm thinking David musta been wearing a fake beard to prompt Nik to say that. Jesus had a much longer, fuller beard than David could have grown at the time!  Grin
Always thought the "David" he was talking to was David Marks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:55:16 AM by Mikie » Logged

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »

And there's no mention of Jesus in the AFM session reports for that date
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2011, 12:04:04 PM »

It would be a very little beard - on 9/6/62, David was 13 years and 15 days old. I think the "David" in question is the engineer.

It was David Marks.  He [still] does this thing with a paint brush where he bends the bristles against his chin so it looks like a beard...he was doing it that day. 

Nik wasn't there all that often so Chuck was probably trying to get them through it  quickly "with Nik" in the control room before he split.

According to David, Carl joked that Nik took the Surfin' Safari album cover photo while hanging by his ankles from a helicopter because Nik was notorious for stretching  his credits.  Chances are, if he did vocals on a song there would have been record of it.  Besides, the vocal part sounds a lot like David and the way he pops his "B's" when he sings "Blues" And, he remembers standing at the mic with Carl when they sang it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »

It was David Marks.  He [still] does this thing with a paint brush where he bends the bristles against his chin so it looks like a beard...he was doing it that day. 

Nik wasn't there all that often so Chuck was probably trying to get them through it  quickly "with Nik" in the control room before he split.

According to David, Carl joked that Nik took the Surfin' Safari album cover photo while hanging by his ankles from a helicopter because Nik was notorious for stretching  his credits.  Chances are, if he did vocals on a song there would have been record of it.  Besides, the vocal part sounds a lot like David and the way he pops his "B's" when he sings "Blues" And, he remembers standing at the mic with Carl when they sang it.

Not Chuck, Carrie - these tracks were cut at Capitol studio.  Wink

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »

Not Chuck, Carrie - these tracks were cut at Capitol studio.  Wink

My bad.  When I was grilling David about those other sessions we were talking about earlier, he got annoyed when I asked what studio certain songs were recorded in because 'we did everything in Western 3.'  Of course, the exception would be the very next topic of discussion. 
rogerlancelot
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »

"The problem is that it was reported by Doug Sulpy in his book about the Get Back sessions, and because Doug Sulpy is a highly respected author (and deservingly so), many fans want to take his word as gospel."

What? Doug Sulpy is a highly respected author? The one book I have of his ("Get Back") is complete garbage. And his message board is full of grumpy old men who complain ad nauseum about the Rock Band game or have discussions about how every solo Beatles album sucked. f*** them. I don't hang out with assholes like those twits!

But I really did enjoy your post!

Grin
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »

Myth: galotale--a story about a wayward, surfing rooster who loses a wing while attempting to save his brother from drowning and learns to drum
          with his tail feathers.  (it's rumoured that no hens were harmed in filming...if it actually had been filmed)

Fact:  galotale--the story of a young man's journey through the islets of langerhans and sin, featuring the Beach Boys' Kokomo and Weird Al's    
          Pancreas.

What the hell is a galotale/galotail and why does the program  change the proper word?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:41:56 PM by B-Rex » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »

Buttock -- you liked my post? Good. Then tell me why the voice-over on "Summertime Blues" sez "with Ni[c]k."  Smiley

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2011, 07:27:35 AM »

Buttock -- you liked my post? Good.

That's funny!   Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »

Buttock -- you liked my post? Good. Then tell me why the voice-over on "Summertime Blues" sez "with Ni[c]k."  Smiley

Because he does. That's all. Because... he does.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »

Charlie's Left Buttock--you nailed it on the head re Sulky! (I mean, Sulpy.) I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. What a negative place that was.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »

MYTH: Van Dyke Parks was once a child actor, and he played Tommy Manicotti on the TV show The Honeymooners.

Yes, Parks was a child actor, but no, he did not play Tommy Manicotti on the classic Gleason show. That credit goes to Ralph Robertson, who also played a character named Johnny Bennett. Coincidentally, though, Van Dyke Parks and an actor named Ralph Robertson both guest-starred on Campbell Playhouse a few months apart; however, imdb.com lists two different Ralph Robertsons, and it's unclear which Ralph Robertson this was. (Thanks, Aegir!)

http://www.popcultureclassics.com/van_dyke_parks.html

According to this interview, done just last year, Van Dyke Parks says himself that he was on the show and gives an anecdote about Jackie Gleason picking him for the part.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »

Okay, then if that's indeed true (remember, Carol Kaye has similar anecdotes for several sessions she, uhh...played...on), then it wasn't one of the "classic 39" episodes (and The Honeymooners isn't listed in his IMDB entry). If he did indeed was on The Honeymooners, it was in the "lost 75" episodes that were part of The Jackie Gleason Show or Cavalcade of Stars...especially because he says he has the "transfers of the kinescopes." The actual stand-alone The Honeymooners series was filmed. The other 75 were on kinescope.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:20:43 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »

I wish they'd make a sitcom today about a husband that constantly threatens to beat up his wife.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »

Hal Blaine claims he drummed on "Surfin' USA". However, in his autobiog, the first two lines of the BB chaper are:

"My first session with The Beach Boys was in early '63. We did a record called "Oll Olly Oxen Free".

Which was a Honeys sessions, and took place July 24 1963, a few weeks after the Surfer Girl session he did first play for Brian on.

I believe the phrase is 'hoist by his own petard.'

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx