gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681024 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 03:55:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad Smile Sessions reviews  (Read 4011 times)
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »

This is a google translation of an opinon on TSS in spanish.
http://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.20minutos.es%2Ftrasdos%2F2011%2F09%2F05%2Fsmile-reconstruir-brian-wilson%2F
The title would be something as Why they keep reconstructing Brian Wilson?
Just somenone's opinion but, should SMiLE stay in the can?

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »

http://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.20minutos.es%2Ftrasdos%2F2011%2F09%2F05%2Fsmile-reconstruir-brian-wilson%2F

I wonder if this dude even had the boxset in hand when he wrote this?  Copies to the media likely haven't been sent out yet so I'd wager he hasn't.  Therefore it takes his review from an actual review of a product to a subjective opinion on it's release.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »

I wonder if this dude even had the boxset in hand when he wrote this?  Copies to the media likely haven't been sent out yet so I'd wager he hasn't.  Therefore it takes his review from an actual review of a product to a subjective opinion on it's release.

Suspect some may be out - mags like Uncut and Mojo probably have a few-week lad-in time so would need to get them in the hands of a reviewer a couple of weeks before press date minimum.  Then they've got to allow for inter-staff fighting over who get to review it!   Grin

Haven't read the Spanish review yet though - from the comments above it might be speculative?

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »

The horrible translation makes me so thankful that I never used 'google translate' in college.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:15 AM »

I just laughed.

'The Sessions Smile is broken angel music in day light. Ther is new reconstruction without plot. Question exploit new time by homegrown EMI.'

This is my abstract of the lady's, um, 'review'.

Humbug. And funny, but unintentionally so.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »

Once I'd stopped laughing at the piss-poor translation, it's not actually that bad a review. (I think... maybe).

I know Uncut are doing a review as I type this: I'll wait for that one.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »

Looks like a cynical preview, rather than a review.

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »

Nice. Nothing less than 5 stars will do

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:02:35 AM »

I suppose the reviews will mean nothing to US as no doubt we will all obsessively listen to every single sound and love it all! Is a bad review going to change our minds?! The chart placing will be more influential than a review.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »

I'm glad the boxset did well on the Amazon charts...but I think this means the hardcore fans were the only ones buying for the mostpart. Can't wait for the promotion to begin and hopefully the 1 and 2 cd sets will start to see decent chart positioning.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »

Just about any boot I've heard is a 5 star, barring of course sound quality.  So how could this be anything less than 5 stars?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »

I think this one deserves a Hors Catégorie appraisal. In all other cases I'm gonna buy truckloads of Semtex and fertilizer and bomb Uncut, MOJO, Rolling Stone etc. headquarters. I'll get the bastards.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »

Yes, it's more a preview than a review.
Sorry for the (horrible) google translation, I posted it too quickly.
Here I've translated it more carefully, although it's not perfect. English it's not my native language.

Why they keep rebuilding Brian Wilson?

All categories already seen converge here.

Déjà vécu, everything is as it was. Déjà sense: everything is felt like it was. Déjà visited: all the geography is as it was.

Be the sensorial déjà vu, temporal or spatial, the three converge in Smile.

We've already seen this movie and we're tired.

On November 1, they say in a very intense campaign that still rages, the Capitol label (one of EMI emporium, in turn, because the music will not be innocent anymore, owner of the financial conglomerate Citigroup , one of the mega most powerful in the world) is now releasing the music of the "Holy Grail of pop," never-ended Smile sessions, an album that broken angel Brian Wilson was going to release in 1967 under the name of their group and instrument, The Beach Boys.

Wasn't Smile already released? The answer is two-valued: yes and no. Hence, the manifold déjà vu that may be experiencing those, like me, are saturated with so much noise and dirty business management on one of the most mysterious and musical works, thus subjugating of the twentieth century.

The story has been told so many times that it's almost irrelevant. A possible short: in March 1967, with Smile announced on the radio, with cover designs, traklisting broadcasted and printed and catalog number awarded, the project is abandoned by Brian Wilson.

Reasons? Many and often muddy, too much LSD (and less luminous substances, such as Desbutal , the marriage between a pharmaceutical amphetamine and a barbiturate), paranoia, anxiety, fear, mental illness, opposition from the rest of the group to a very strange music, pressures from Capitol-the company that now claims to be happy for the recovery - ...

For the other beach boys (two brothers and a cousin of Wilson among them) the cancellation was good to fill the creative softness. They used Smile pieces for several albums of the group during the final leg of the sixties. Of course, they stripped the songs of courage, nuance and sensitivity. Brian, prostrate, tied to self-destruction, was not complaining.

Smile for decades was the most famous of lost albums. Although it was rumored that the masters had been destroyed, several bootleg editions circulated and were easy to buy cheaply: here and here are outlined two of the best known. All musical puzzle pieces have been heard, broadcasted and versioned, even as bonus tracks in official editions.

In 2004, 37 years after the abortion of the original edition, Brian Wilson played live in London a version of Smile, which followed an album (Brian Wilson Presents Smile). Covered by a trendy group with disparate and choir arrangements to hide Brian's vocal shortcomings, the operation was sold as the "definitive reconstruction" of the work.

At times it was necessary to shut down: the handling, commercial use of a sick person, hurt too much.

What comes now is a little further. The Smile Sessions, the title of the invention, promise to reveal what Brian Wilson recorded in the studio in their 1966 and 1967 LSD sessions, which is a flagrant: the music, as I said, has been around for decades.

The new product from the "Rebuilding Brian" factory has been designed in several versions (for all budgets, I mean). The most ambitious has five CDs, two vinyl LPs, two singles, a booklet, rare photos, drawings, posters ... can be pre-ordered for $ 170.

Is it worth it? Perhaps the original music recordings have been cleaned, some might say. The edition is a treat I can afford to celebrate my devotion, will require others.

I do not share any of the two apologies. The worst that can happen to fantasies is to reveal them, illuminated with direct light. The imagination land feels better in shadow.

Considered for a long time as a hidden treasure that could not be accessed without effort, Smile deserves to be what every listener imagines, an album that, like the transparent song in the video above, seems to have no script.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »

This ain't a review, it's a blog.  Sad
ghost
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:04 PM »

I'm all dizzy from the manifold déjà vu.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »

In 2004, 37 years after the abortion of the original edition, Brian Wilson played live in London a version of Smile, which followed an album (Brian Wilson Presents Smile). Covered by a trendy group with disparate and choir arrangements to hide Brian's vocal shortcomings, the operation was sold as the "definitive reconstruction" of the work.

At times it was necessary to shut down: the handling, commercial use of a sick person, hurt too much.
I like this person's point of view.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »

I'm wondering what pitchfork will say.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »

I don't think the box will only get five star reviews. It's going to have a lot of unfinished music and a lot of versions of the same songs, objectively speaking that's a legitimate reason to not give it a perfect score. But if any reviewer goes under 4 out of 5 stars, or under 80 out of 100 points or something like that, I will never take that person's opinion seriously again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx