gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From 1984: Mike Talks About Dennis  (Read 37833 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »

I intended to post this awhile back, in response to a thread on this board, but it took me awhile to locate it.  But here it is, to my knowledge the most that Mike has spoken publically about Dennis and his passing.  I'm afraid I don't know the original source other than the article's title ("A Beach Boy Looks Past the Tragedy"), but this was reprinted in an old fanzine called Surf Records (published by Gary Virts...some of you other longtime fans may remember it).  It ran in their June 1984 issue, and the beginning of the article mentions a fundraiser they were to play at Radio City Music Hall the following night (which was May 7th), so it probably first appeared in a New York-area publication.  Mike would later address the subject of Dennis' downward spiral and death in other places, such as on the on Today show, in the powerpop fanzine Little Yellow Pills, and in the Endless Harmony documentary, but to my knowledge this is really where he spoke the most, in terms both practical and metaphysical, not only about Dennis' condition, the disagreements the two of them had, and Dennis' eventual death, but also what he believes happened to Dennis afterwards.

"Dennis was unfortunate, because he was hooked on alcohol," Love said.  "It ruled his life.  It ruled it in the morning, when he got up, until the evening, when he passed out.  Sometimes he didn't make it to the evening.  It was a tragedy, but he was hooked, just like an addict hooked on anything.  We tried to get him to seek help, but he would only do it his way.  Which was, he was a rebel." 

"He defied  the laws of nature and of man," said Love.  "You can get away with breaking manmade laws, but nature is unforgiving.  I think that put him on the path that led to his so-called accidental drowning.  I don't think it was an accident at all.  I think he was very unhappy.  The laws of nature that govern things like water, air, and breathing terminated his subscription to life, his mortal coil as we know it.  But I'm sure he's with us.  In fact, I feel the presence of his soul or spirit much stronger.  After a few hours, alcohol leaves the body.  I'm sure if you're disincarnate, it gives you time to think, without the inhibiting values of drugs and alcohol and stuff."

There's no question that the relationship between Love and Dennis Wilson as stressful.  "There was definitely conflict," Love said.  "The conflict was, 'Hey, Dennis, perhaps you shouldn't give cocaine to Brian.'  Yeah, he did that a couple of times.  And so to protect Brian, my brother Stan formed a two-man vigilante committee and proceeded to beat Dennis to a pulp.  My brother's about 6-foot-8, 6-foot-9, a professional basketball payer.  And unfortunately, they had a slight altercation..." Love laughed.

Stan Love played professional basketball with the erstwhile Baltimore Bullets and the Los Angeles Lakers.  The other member of the "two-man vilgilante committee", according to Mike Love, was an ex-football player he said was named Rocky.

"Whoever had a misunderstanding with Dennis, it was usually over lifestyle, or alcohol, or something...It was a stress on the whole group.  Of course, we had a difference of opinion.  It's like, if you're a corporation, like General Motors, and some key management guy is drunk all the time, you tell him to either straighten up and get help, or you're fired.  Or take some time off to get your act together.  That's what we had to tell Dennis from time to time.  Take some time off and get yourself together.  But he never did".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »

There's no question that the relationship between Love and Dennis Wilson as stressful.  "There was definitely conflict," Love said.  "The conflict was, 'Hey, Dennis, perhaps you shouldn't give cocaine to Brian.'  Yeah, he did that a couple of times.  And so to protect Brian, my brother Stan formed a two-man vigilante committee and proceeded to beat Dennis to a pulp.  My brother's about 6-foot-8, 6-foot-9, a professional basketball payer.  And unfortunately, they had a slight altercation..." Love laughed.

Love's words would be a lot more credible if he didn't spin his comments like this one. The fundamental conflict between Mike and Dennis was NOT based in that one reckless act by Dennis(ie giving cocaine to Brian), That is just an inflammatory statement, it is completely ridiculous to make it in relation to the context of Dennis' death...and conveniently a dead Dennis can't answer it or confront Mike for saying it. One thing Mike knows well, despite all the flaws in his person, Dennis fought his own fights. Statements like the one above give the impression that Mike waits until its safe to fight his.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »

What was the fundamental conflict between them?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »

Love's words would be a lot more credible if he didn't spin his comments like this one. The fundamental conflict between Mike and Dennis was NOT based in that one reckless act by Dennis(ie giving cocaine to Brian), That is just an inflammatory statement, it is completely ridiculous to make it in relation to the context of Dennis' death...and conveniently a dead Dennis can't answer it or confront Mike for saying it. One thing Mike knows well, despite all the flaws in his person, Dennis fought his own fights. Statements like the one above give the impression that Mike waits until its safe to fight his.

Mike wasn't spinning his comments, but you were. Mike never said the fundamental conflict was Dennis giving cocaine to his mentally ill, drug addicted, vulnerable brother. Mike used those incidences as an EXAMPLE of why the relationship was stressful and why there was conflict. In the brief interview, Mike mentioned other examples of Dennis' personality and behavior that led to conflict. Also, I never got "the impression that Mike waits until it's safe to fight his (own fights)". I know, as you also know, Mike had physical confrontations with Dennis when he was alive, and Mike, along with the other guys, fired Dennis from the group. You also failed to mention that Mike alluded to that in the interview, when he said, "...you tell him to either strighten up and get help, or you're fired. Or take some time off to get your act together. That's what we had to tell Dennis from time to time".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »

Some people try to make the point that Mike was jealous of Dennis all his life, but in my opinion, that's just as silly as Mike's comment that Mr. Stebbins mentioned above.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:43:33 PM »

There's no question that the relationship between Love and Dennis Wilson as stressful.  "There was definitely conflict," Love said.  "The conflict was, 'Hey, Dennis, perhaps you shouldn't give cocaine to Brian.'  Yeah, he did that a couple of times.  And so to protect Brian, my brother Stan formed a two-man vigilante committee and proceeded to beat Dennis to a pulp.  My brother's about 6-foot-8, 6-foot-9, a professional basketball payer.  And unfortunately, they had a slight altercation..." Love laughed.

Jon, I was about to say the same thing but you put it better than I could...

EDIT: I just wanted to add that whenever I picture Rocky and Stan brutally beating up Dennis, I get sad and almost cry. It's definitely a sad emotion. But what does Mike do in the interview? He laughs about it. In my opinion that's shameful.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:49:03 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:47:51 PM »

Mike wasn't spinning his comments, but you were. Mike never said the fundamental conflict was Dennis giving cocaine to his mentally ill, drug addicted, vulnerable brother. Mike used those incidences as an EXAMPLE of why the relationship was stressful and why there was conflict. In the brief interview, Mike mentioned other examples of Dennis' personality and behavior that led to conflict. Also, I never got "the impression that Mike waits until it's safe to fight his (own fights)". I know, as you also know, Mike had physical confrontations with Dennis when he was alive, and Mike, along with the other guys, fired Dennis from the group. You also failed to mention that Mike alluded to that in the interview, when he said, "...you tell him to either strighten up and get help, or you're fired. Or take some time off to get your act together. That's what we had to tell Dennis from time to time".
To be fair, I see your point, and Mr. Stebbins' point as well. Yes, Mike mentioned the cocaine episode as "an example" of the bad behaviour that Dennis exibited.  But one kind of gets  the feeling that Mike was essentially  "taking the easy way out" with his comments. Mike was trying to simplify a problem that was much deeper than sharing drugs with certain members of the group.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »

To be fair, I see your point, and Mr. Stebbins' point as well. Yes, Mike mentioned the cocaine episode as "an example" of the bad behaviour that Dennis exibited.  But one kind of gets  the feeling that Mike was essentially  "taking the easy way out" with his comments. Mike was trying to simplify a problem that was much deeper than sharing drugs with certain members of the group.

Mike didn't "take the easy way out". He could've made it sound a lot worse. He didn't mention Charles Manson, showing up intoxicated for shows, showing up intoxicated at the White House, the embarrassment on Good Morning America, etc. Again, Mike just gave one specific example.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »

EDIT: I just wanted to add that whenever I picture Rocky and Stan brutally beating up Dennis, I get sad and almost cry. It's definitely a sad emotion. But what does Mike do in the interview? He laughs about it. In my opinion that's shameful.

How did you feel when Dennis appeared on a national TV special, laughing, and saying about his brother, Brian, "He's crazy..."

And, how do you feel, Td, about Dennis possessing and supplying illegal drugs to a mentally ill, drug addicted brother? Is that shameful? Does that make you sad and almost cry?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »

Sheesh...didn't mean to start a war here, guys!  Wink
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »

Wait -- so throwing in that he gave Brian cocaine was "just an example" and NOT spin??? Really. The fact that Dennis was brutally attacked by his brother (from what I've heard permanently damaging his upper palate) was because he was supplying Brian Wilson with cocaine??? That's called "spin" Sheriff (I feel odd calling you "Sherriff" -- do you have a REAL name???) Mike's statement has real pathos and honesty until that point -- and then it turns. Thinking that Jon Stebbins is "spinning" Mike Love's statements regarding WHY Dennis Wilson was booted and beaten out of the Beach Boys is as silly as using a made-up name.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »

Wait -- so throwing in that he gave Brian cocaine was "just an example" and NOT spin??? Really. The fact that Dennis was brutally attacked by his brother (from what I've heard permanently damaging his upper palate) was because he was supplying Brian Wilson with cocaine??? That's called "spin" Sheriff (I feel odd calling you "Sherriff" -- do you have a REAL name???) Mike's statement has real pathos and honesty until that point -- and then it turns. Thinking that Jon Stebbins is "spinning" Mike Love's statements regarding WHY Dennis Wilson was booted and beaten out of the Beach Boys is as silly as using a made-up name.

What did Mike try to "spin"? He admitted that the relationship was stressful and that there was conflict. He could've elaborated with several examples. He named one, granted a major one. If Mike would've elaborated, the people would've jumped on Mike for piling on. This is another interview where Mike told the truth (rare for a Beach Boys' interview), but, because it concerned Dennis - who was good looking, gave us POB, and had a big heart - it is resented.

BTW, I do have a real name but I don't use it on message boards because some people - maybe you - are not emotionally stable enough to handle message boards and might try something inappropriate. But that's OK, you don't have to feel "odd" calling me Sheriff. Actually, you don't have to call me anything. police
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »

How did you feel when Dennis appeared on a national TV special, laughing, and saying about his brother, Brian, "He's crazy..."

And, how do you feel, Td, about Dennis possessing and supplying illegal drugs to a mentally ill, drug addicted brother? Is that shameful? Does that make you sad and almost cry?
How do feel about Mike saying Dennis was nothing but a talentless drug addict? That quote exists. How do you feel about the anecdotes from Mike's exes saying he battered them? That testimony exists. How about Dennis' child saying Mike knocked him across the room with a fist when he was a little boy for messing up Mike's kitchen. You will undoubtedly respond that the things I mention are either not true because you haven't heard or seen them, or irrelevant to this discussion, while the things you say are both true and relevant because you have and they are. Then, this thread evolves into a tit for tat mess. On and on we go dum be doo dah.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »

How do feel about Mike saying Dennis was nothing but a talentless drug addict? That quote exists. How do you feel about the anecdotes from Mike's exes saying he battered them? That testimony exists. How about Dennis' child saying Mike knocked him across the room with a fist when he was a little boy for messing up Mike's kitchen. You will undoubtedly respond that the things I mention are either not true because you haven't heard or seen them, or irrelevant to this discussion, while the things you say are both true and relevant because you have and they are. Then, this thread evolves into a tit for tat mess. On and on we go dum be doo dah.

I feel that at times, Mike did and said things that were inexcusable, including the things that you mentioned above.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »

Sheesh...didn't mean to start a war here, guys!  Wink
Such is the norm around here it seems, as of late.  Roll Eyes But the article was/is very much appreciated, thank you for posting it.  Smiley

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »

I'd like to know what would be the acceptable thing for Mike to say about this relationship with Dennis. In 2010.  Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »

I'd like to know what Mike thinks of the POB/Bambu reissue, and the subsequent media storm it created.  Wink

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »

I'd like to know what Mike thinks of the POB/Bambu reissue, and the subsequent media storm it created.  Wink
Easy. "Hey, it took another track with lyrics of mine to make this motherfucker sell".  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »

What song was Mike involved in?

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »

He originally wrote the lyrics to "Pacific Ocean Blues". In the reissue another track with lyrics written by Mike was added: "Only with You".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:01:46 PM »

BTW, I do have a real name but I don't use it on message boards because some people - maybe you - are not emotionally stable enough to handle message boards and might try something inappropriate.

That is about the most arrogant and objectionable post I've ever seen on this board, and dammit, I've seen - and made - a few. We really don't care about you and what you say enough to consider "something inappropriate" (paranoia is a terrible thing)... and as for you evaluating Howie's emotional well-being...  Shocked

If that's why you elect to cower behind a pseudonym, then I respectfully suggest you have considerably more problems than Howie might have.  I feel an apology is in order, but I'm not going to be here to witness it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 12:34:28 AM »

What we can expect from a Mike Love's fanatic and defenser?
Quotes like this.
Mike is an angel, Dennis was a evil. Simply like that (totally ironic  Tongue).
Mike can do what he wants to do, and he's still cool. Mr Cool.  Cool
Dennis did worse things (as Mike), but he couldn't do, because he was simply a "drunken-drugged-beachboy-drummer"
(totally ironic too Tongue).
Mike is a guy who have/had feelings (in the past or present) for: money, his family, Brian and Beach Boys (name, and his hits, nothing more). But for all the other persons and things, he didn't have feeling.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 12:37:41 AM »

It's a simple name, on a messageboard. A Beach Boys lyric at that. There is no secret conspiracy here. We aren't "hiding" names, or plotting world domination. Geez....

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »

Adamghost: Anywhere we can see/hear a good example of Carl's piano playing? I'm really curious now.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 01:55:45 AM »

In the words of Brian Wilson (and allegedly Landy)... "Love & Mercy".

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:58:23 AM by Fear 2 Stop® » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx