gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:40:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Kinks  (Read 13637 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 01:05:28 PM »

14. Do You Remember Walter

Just give him this one song. That song alone amazed me so much that I needed no others to turn me onto the band.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2006, 01:47:12 PM »

$40 to see Ray Davies is a steal.  It's a no-brainer.  You got the cash and the time?  Do it.  I envy you -- he's not coming anywhere near me.

It's only a 4 hour drive to Toronto buddy...

Not from Columbus it's not -- Detroit, for instance, is just over 4 hours from here.  Plus there is schedule and lack of funds.  No way it happens now unless he comes within 3 hours from here...
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 07:48:03 PM »

I've been listening to Ray's new album.  In a word, incredible.  It's definitely got a slick, shiny production sound, but not 'too' slick.  The songs and performances are so strong, esp. Ray's voice.  You definitely don't hear stuff like this from McCartney, Jagger, etc. even lyrically, not to put down on them!  But, one example of what I mean is the song "Stand Up Comic" - he sings this with an verve that doesn't lag for a single second:

Jack the Lad has become Fancy Dan
And creating aggroculture with a rub-on tan
And all the tearaways have got savior faire
And the working class hero's got tinted hair
And a well-spoken hero from a yesteryear
Walks out onto a stage and they all shout "queer!"

Incredible performance.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 12:47:44 AM »

you are sure the older cd's sound better?
Album CDs? Yes, all of them.
Compilation CDs? It depends. "The Kinks Are Well Respected Men" is great, the old Rhino "Greatest Hits" is mediocre, the PRT CDs are mostly great, especially the PRT "Greatest Hits" with the ugly pink cover. Stay away from "Hit Singles" unless it has the catalogue number PYC 4001.
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 08:31:17 AM »

$40 to see Ray Davies is a steal.  It's a no-brainer.  You got the cash and the time?  Do it.  I envy you -- he's not coming anywhere near me.

It's only a 4 hour drive to Toronto buddy...

Not from Columbus it's not -- Detroit, for instance, is just over 4 hours from here.  Plus there is schedule and lack of funds.  No way it happens now unless he comes within 3 hours from here...

How long to drive to Buffalo NY? add 2 hours and your in Toronto. Detroit is the long way...Buffalo way must be shorter...but I understand...my probelm is timing...Ray Davies, David Gilmour and Amy Grant are all playing in the Toronto area within 1 week and I probably can only choose 1 (if any) myself...since I've seen the Kinks and Pink Floyd already maybe I'lll go see Amy Grant  Roll Eyes

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 01:56:34 PM »

you are sure the older cd's sound better?
Album CDs? Yes, all of them.
Compilation CDs? It depends. "The Kinks Are Well Respected Men" is great, the old Rhino "Greatest Hits" is mediocre, the PRT CDs are mostly great, especially the PRT "Greatest Hits" with the ugly pink cover. Stay away from "Hit Singles" unless it has the catalogue number PYC 4001.
thanks
I'm pretty familiar with the Pye reissues since my dad and I collected them
and they sounded great to me, but I never really compared it with the original LP's or with old cd's
My dad's LP's are overplayed as well so they don't sound that good
still undecided on Davies. I don't have all the Beach Boys albums yet, I'm more in to collecting them
than going to a concert. Man, do sound Insane, those cd's will be there after the concert! Still, my heart
is more in to that stuff.
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 09:37:22 AM »

Actually, Andreas, 'The Kinks Are Well Respected Men' 2CD doesn't come up on eBay very often. Over the past five or six months, it's only came up two or three times. One of them was really expensive. I jumped on a cheaper one. But now that I have the all the remasters and 'Kink Kronikles', I don't really think I need it, do I?

I will sue this blog and the owner
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 10:37:21 AM »

Actually, Andreas, 'The Kinks Are Well Respected Men' 2CD doesn't come up on eBay very often.
Fair enough. It was not my intention to sound superior in my praise of something that is untangible for others. Smiley The problem is, I don't have any good substitute recommendation on CD. The Ultimate Collection 2 CD set is decent, but is missing many B sides.

But now that I have the all the remasters and 'Kink Kronikles', I don't really think I need it, do I?
That depends on you. Kinks Kronikles is mostly stereo and comes from copy tapes. Not bad, but not the definitive versions.  The remasters suffer from noise reduction and aggressive cold mastering which does not do the recordings any justice. With the remasters and the VGPS deluxe edition, you get almost all songs (I think the B-side of Days, She#s Got Everything was missed), but the question is if you can stand the unnatural sound.
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »

Ebay suffers from an overkill of Russian cd's (beatles, kinks, dylan)
anybody know if those are any good? Or are this the older Kinks cd's and no Russian copies?

Man I really need those records, without paying too much
(short on money)
DavidLeeRoth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2006, 12:54:18 PM »

I'll be seeing him at the Tower in Philly.  Can't Wait!  Grin
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2006, 04:08:07 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-KINKS-Are-Well-Repected-Men-Rare-2-CD-Set-MINT_W0QQitemZ4842863689QQcategoryZ43631QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I will sue this blog and the owner
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 07:31:47 AM »

saw Ray last night here in Boston ...GREAT show ...played a lot from his new record, played 4 songs from village green on acoustic guitar including Picture book, Johnny Thunder, Animal Farm. His new songs sounded great and the band was excellent . if you can get a ticket go see him !!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx