gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:14:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which album has the worst flow?  (Read 7359 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:10:15 PM »

We all know Brian was really into track sequencing, up til Smile or so....So which albums have the worst sequence in your opinion?   To me, it's gotta be 15 Big Ones...idk why it wasn't one half oldies/one half originals...but to include oddities like Everyones in Love & Susie Cincinnati are baffling as well. I'll put together the perfect tracklist, if there is one for this cluttered album.   I'd rather have an album from 1976 of ALL the Beach Boys, giving them all a chance to submit something, like 20/20.  We all know Dennis had some tunes bursting to see the light of day.

I also always thought Love You's 2nd side wasn't as good as the first.

Still Cruisin' is good until the oldies, it's like the label just got lazy.

I think Imagination could benefit a re-tracking list.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:12:29 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:20:21 PM »

Wild Honey...but honestly, I don't know what I'd do to improve it, either.  I'd start with the production, then worry about song sequence once that was improved.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:22:50 PM »

Of their early albums I'd say Shut Down, Vol.2 is the worst offender.  
To me 20/20 doesn't flow all that well, though the individual songs are all, for the most part, excellent.
Carl & The Passions, though a favorite of mine, could also flow better...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:29:29 PM »

Good call Paul, I was thinkin of So Tough earlier when I thought about this thread at work...couldnt think of a way to improve....also, I agree about Shut Down 2 as well....it sounds like a 'hurry up and release album.'

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 04:15:17 AM »

Still Cruisin' easily has the worst flow. It's obvious that these songs weren't recorded together and the oldies at the end just make it that much worse.
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »

Hmmmm...Yeah, Still Crusin' probably wins hands down.  I wasn't able to bring myself to buy that one...even used...so I'd forgotten about it.

The mention of that brings to mind one that might be even worse...the insane early 70s pairing of Carl and the Passions...So Tough with a reissue of Pet Sounds as a double LP set...totally senseless...
Paulos
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:46:20 AM »

The last two tracks on Little Deuce Coupe should have been swapped with A Young Man Is Gone as the closer. Custom Machine just sounds jarring when it comes blasting in just after those heavenly voices have faded, it took me a long time to appreciate Custom Machine as a song due to the, IMO, poor sequencing at the end of the album.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:05:23 PM »

I'd class "All Summer Long" as a very frontloaded record. All the good stuff is upfront. Very soon into side 2 the filler comes creeping in. Still very enjoyable filler I must stress but filler all the same.  Most would say the same about "Shut Down Vol 2" but I love the last few songs on that one. "Shut Down Pt2" is their best surf instrumental IMO.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:48:26 PM »

Sunflower and 15 Big Ones. I actually believe those two albums could improve by almost one full grade with better sequencing.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »

Really? Sunflower?

I thought it flowed well with the Dennis tunes intertwined with BW songs and others....I hate how It's about Time and Tears in the Morning are right next to each other....they're polar opposites.... How would you improve it?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »

Really? Sunflower?

I thought it flowed well with the Dennis tunes intertwined with BW songs and others....I hate how It's about Time and Tears in the Morning are right next to each other....they're polar opposites.... How would you improve it?

Side A

1. Add Some Music To Your Day (start the day)
2. Got To Know The Woman (meet the girl)
3. Slip On Through (our love is growing)
4. Our Sweet Love (could last Forever)
5. Forever (so I'm going away)
6. Cool Cool Water (off into the ocean complete with storm)

Side B

7. Tears In The Morning (reminding me I'm missing you)
8. All I Wanna Do (and when I close my eyes - let's make up)
9. This Whole World (now here comes another day for your love)
10. Deidre (good things turn bad, but it's over now - you're back again)
11. At My Window (a little brown sparrow came fluttering down - poof!)
12. It's About Time (end with a rocker - I'm singin' in my heart, I'm singin' love...)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »

Yeah, that sounds pretty much perfect, I like it a whole lot

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:43 PM »

Really? Sunflower?

It's not so bad on vinyl because you have to flip the side.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 01:29:44 AM »

I'd say Holland.  Side 2 is pretty weak, even though The Trader is one of my all time favorites...Only With You gets lost in the shuffle, and it's obvious that Sail On Sailor is out of place on the album, kind of like Good Vibrations on Smiley Smile...both great tracks that are very different from the rest of the album.  Not sure how I'd re-sequence it...let's give it a try:

Side A
1. We Got Love
2. The Trader
3. Only With You
4. Leaving This Town
5. Sail On Sailor

Side B
1. CS - Big Sur
2. CS - Beaks Of Eagles
3. CS - California
4. Steamboat
5. Funky Pretty

Not sure if that's really an improvement...it's hard to improve it with Leaving This Town on there...but I think that adding We Got Love on there adds something to it.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 01:35:51 AM »

Another one that has a poor flow is "Pet Sounds Live"...not because of the track order but because of Brian's commentary in between...

I agree with those who say "Still Cruisin"...maybe they could have just put one more new song on there and dumped the oldies...

Discs 1 & 4 of the GV Boxed Set flow terribly..."All This Is That" into "Rock & Roll Music" is probably the worst transition I could possibly think of on any album or compilation.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 05:19:02 AM »

Another one that has a poor flow is "Pet Sounds Live"...not because of the track order but because of Brian's commentary in between...

I agree with those who say "Still Cruisin"...maybe they could have just put one more new song on there and dumped the oldies...

Discs 1 & 4 of the GV Boxed Set flow terribly..."All This Is That" into "Rock & Roll Music" is probably the worst transition I could possibly think of on any album or compilation.

There's so many other songs that could have been included for "movie soundtrack" possibilities: It's a Beautiful Day, Almost Summer, Chasin' the Sky, etc.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »

Some of those songs on Still Cruisin weren't even in movies...I'd say that ANY newer songs would have fit better than the 3 oldies.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 07:09:59 PM »

Really? Sunflower?

Side A

Side B

12. It's About Time (end with a rocker - I'm singin' in my heart, I'm singin' love...)

Nice sequence SJS.   Of course we can all now go to the computer and create that very sequence.  Problem solved.

Nowadays when I sequence Its usually just whimsical.  I might put Ballad of ole Betsy before Fairy Tale Music.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 01:52:24 AM »

Really? Sunflower?

Side A

Side B

My only problem with this is that I think Slip On Through is the best opener on any Beach Boys album. I always start BB mixes that I do for other people with SoT. It's just kicks things off with such a bang.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »

I'd say Holland.  Side 2 is pretty weak, even though The Trader is one of my all time favorites...Only With You gets lost in the shuffle, and it's obvious that Sail On Sailor is out of place on the album, kind of like Good Vibrations on Smiley Smile...both great tracks that are very different from the rest of the album.  Not sure how I'd re-sequence it...let's give it a try:

Side A
1. We Got Love
2. The Trader
3. Only With You
4. Leaving This Town
5. Sail On Sailor

Side B
1. CS - Big Sur
2. CS - Beaks Of Eagles
3. CS - California
4. Steamboat
5. Funky Pretty

Not sure if that's really an improvement...it's hard to improve it with Leaving This Town on there...but I think that adding We Got Love on there adds something to it.

Here's a challenge I've been working on: how best to re sequence Holland including both We Got Love and Carry Me Home, without taking anything off.  I love both those songs (live version of We Got Love...so far as I know the studio version isn't around?) but I just can't seem to make Holland flow with both of them and sail on sailor.  Funky Pretty becomes particularly tough to place, and I start to appreciate how Carry Me Home actually is pretty depressing compared to what's around it.  This is what my current mix is:

A:

1. Trader
2. Steamboat
3. CS - Big Sur
4. CS - Beaks Of Eagles
5. CS - California
6. We Got Love

B:
1. Sail on Sailor
2. Funky Pretty
3. Leaving This Town
4. Only With You
5. Carry Me Home

but im still not satisfied...I don't like all the slow songs piled up at the end...unlike say Surf's Up, which uses that technique to great effect, these three songs don't really build together.  and I don't like Funky Pretty buried in the middle of the second side.  but I also don't like funky Pretty after Carry me Home...thats a bit too jarring...

thoughts?

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 08:11:29 PM »

Friends has Transcendental Meditation on it. Do not discount this.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 10:10:57 PM »

Friends has Transcendental Meditation on it. Do not discount this.

I don't mind said song, but think it would've been cool to add "I Went to Sleep" after that...a great little closer.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »

I'd say Keepin' The Summer Alive. First off is the title track. It's a little to smoothly produced, but it's a rock song. The Beach Boys talking about summer and having fun! Yay! Then comes Oh Darlin'. Carl had such a beautiful voice. It almost makes up for the lackluster production. Then out of nowhere, you hear honking saxophone, and a disco drum beat. Some Of Your Love has started, and by the time Mike's vocal comes in, it's to late to go back and it's all downhill from here, folks. Al's oddly growling vocal on School Days is just plain scary. Mommy???
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:44:31 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »

To me, it's gotta be 15 Big Ones...idk why it wasn't one half oldies/one half originals...but to include oddities like Everyones in Love & Susie Cincinnati are baffling as well. I'll put together the perfect tracklist, if there is one for this cluttered album.

Sea Cruise should've been on there for sure, and the single mix of Rock n Roll Music
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:36:21 AM by slothrop » Logged
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 09:29:49 AM »

Really? Sunflower?

Side A

Side B

SJS,

I sequenced the album in iTunes based on your list above and listened to it yesterday.  It works really, really well!

Glenn
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx