gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:59:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Waits  (Read 5334 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:12:27 AM »

I realize his music is an acquired taste, but I'm really starting to get into his music. His voice is initially off-putting, but I think that's part of its charm.   He has some truly great songs....what took me so long to discover it?

Smokin

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »

Totally. A few months ago I was listening to Rain Dogs constantly. He's very poetic in his odd beat way.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »

Not a huge fan but I've always liked the Rain Dogs album. Great front cover too.

Edit: Upon relistening right now, I realize I should probably check out some more albums of his after all. Love both "Cemetery Polka" and "Diamonds and Gold".
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:39:07 PM by phirnis » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »

The most interesting living pop musician.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:23:19 AM »

Unique figure. There are three great compilations: The Asylum Years, Used Cars, and Beautiful Maladies. All at budget price.

Oh... and 'Orphans' is a brilliant box, three CDs. It has even a cover of the Ramones' 'Jackie and Judy'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
theCOD
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:25:15 PM »

People had been telling me to check him out for years before I finally caved and bought Bone Machine.  I instantly regretted putting it off for so long.  He is one cool cat.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:17:56 PM »

I'd say Bone Machine is his best if it weren't for another 3-6 others that I rank just as highly. Seriously...almost unequalled in his catalogue. Remarkable.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:33:55 AM »

He's "big in Japan". The only downside to Tom Waits catalog is that he's basically had the same character and plot since the '80s. That rusted out Americana he peddles can get a little tiresome after long enough. It's all great music, it's just that it could use a little diversification. That's why Tom Waits is an occasional on and off obsession for me as opposed to something I listen to all of the time. I love me some Waits, but I need to take breaks to make it sound fresh again. Except for "Top of the Hill". I can listen to that song every day.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »

I disagree: I think that there is a world of difference between, say, swordfishtrombones, Bone Machine, Alive, and Real Gone. I think he's been adding to his junkyard-palette pretty consistently since around the time of Blue Valentine without really ever dumping what he was doing before.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »

I agree Luther. Hell, the man's even added turntables & beatboxing to his music. Usually when an older artist starts adding more "modern" sounds, it sounds ridiculous. With Waits, it's like "oh wow...that's pretty damn cool".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »

Just discovered the guy via swordfishtrombones, consider me gobsmacked.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:30:40 AM »

I'm a big time Tom Waits fan, absolutely one of my favorite songwriters of all time. The first album of his I bought was Rain Dogs, and what an incredible album that is. Swordfishtrombones is about equal. One of his two 2002 albums, Alice, is among his best work. Beautiful stuff.

I suppose I actually like much of his pre-Swordfishtrombones output from '73-'80 a little more, and I find I'm one of the very few who feels this way. The Heart of Saturday Night is my favorite Waits album, with 'San Diego Serenade' being my favorite song of his. Nighthawks At The Diner is hysterical and a joy to listen to and Small Change is a beautiful masterpiece.

I love all of Tom's eras, though and I still need to pick up several more albums.

Underrated album: Frank's Wild Years.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »

Yeah I've got to check out some more of this guy's stuff. I'm thinking of Beefheart but at the same time totally different.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »

Yeah I've got to check out some more of this guy's stuff. I'm thinking of Beefheart but at the same time totally different.

You're right in your Beefheart connection. He used to make pretty subdued, jazzy, poetic piano ballads, but, even  then,  he would still make the off-beat "Step Right Up"-type song.

Then, sometime around 1980, his playwright wife introduced him to Trout Mask Replica and it completely changed how he made music. Then he started making weird, deformed blues music, similar to the way Beefheart would, but with weirder instrumentation.

I'm a big time Tom Waits fan, absolutely one of my favorite songwriters of all time. The first album of his I bought was Rain Dogs, and what an incredible album that is. Swordfishtrombones is about equal. One of his two 2002 albums, Alice, is among his best work. Beautiful stuff.

I'm a pretty big Tom Waits fan, too. All of the albums I've heard from him are fantastic and really worth a listen. It's probably not everyone's bag, but there is some great music to be discovered in his albums. The great thing is, is that he's still releasing new music, and good music at that. His newest, Bad as Me, was a very good album.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:28:23 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »

OK I've just checked out some of Bone Machine and I think I'm going to become offically obsessed with this guy.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 02:39:36 PM »

Bad as Me not only is a brilliant album but was also surprisingly commercially successful!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 02:41:35 PM »

I know Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones are usually tossed around as his finest hour, but I have to admit that "Alice" is my favorite Waits album. "Fawn" is one of my all time favorite tracks by ANY ARTIST.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx