gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:24:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darian Sahanaja Appreciation Thread  (Read 7472 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 11:14:54 PM »

I'm working on memory here, but I think Dennis wanted his stuff to close the album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 12:56:23 PM »

Very, very interesting...what a tragic twist.  I assume "WIBNTLA" and "Fourth Of July" were the songs in play?  What songs would they have replaced? 

I know it would have been politically impossible, but if you could have replaced "Student Demonstration Time" and "Take A Load Off Your Feet" with those two they might have had another Sunflower- at least a solid four-star album for the critics.  The only thing holding them back would have been that the album would have been a little morbid. 

Switch "SDT" for a straight cover of "Riot In Cellblock # 9" and throw in "Good Time" or even a studio cover of "Okie From Muscogee" and with Dennis' songs you might have had a critic and crowd-pleaser that might have set the band on a different course for a few years.

The saddest words...it might have been.  Thanks again for this information, which I don't recall reading anywhere.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 04:18:49 PM »

Was there any contemporaneous criticism for the Surf's Up LP that specifically called out SDT?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 05:14:10 PM »

That's a good question- I tend to doubt it.  It's never been a huge stinker to me; it's a good band workout and a nice groove; I think the lyrics are really the only problem.  It racheted down the hipness of the album. 

When I first got the album on vinyl many years ago it kind of raised my eyebrows, but I didn't mind it as much as "Take A Load Off Your Feet" and the vocal on "A Day In The Life Of A Tree".  Like I said, with the original L/S lyrics I think it would have been a great track.

Over time, as hardcore fans, we all get quite used to and sympathetic to the band, focused on the brilliant things that are present in even some of the weirdest material,  and forget how strange and off-putting some of these songs are to the average listener.  There are two main problems they tended to fall into- overtly amateurish lyrics (childlike and guileless to us, childish and silly to the masses) like "Solar System" on the verses, the uncoolness (and awkwardness) of "SDT", etc., and then outright (uncool) strangeness like the "Tree" vocal, and there are many examples of both things at once, like "Take A Load Off Your Feet" and "Johnny Carson".  These two things, more than anything else (I think), kept the Beach Boys from fully crossing over with a mainstream audience to the era that followed "Good Vibrations".

But anyway, we love ya, Darian.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 06:45:51 PM »

I just went back and re-read the Crutchfield/Lindsey Planar interview with Darian. It's an amazing story, and there's no doubt that Darian is the hero of the story. He'd never claim that for himself, but I think he is. DS is simply terrific... terrific.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx