gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:31:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations: Tribute to the Beach Boys (Dutch theatre show)  (Read 7369 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:09:37 PM »

Did anyone see this yet? I saw it last Thursday in Eindhoven and I might go again in Veldhoven next month.

Even though the show tries a little bit to be artistic (it includes two dancers and a stage with paintings in the background), it's really very little more than just a concert by a Beach Boys cover band. There are three "lead characters" (the rest of the seven piece band is hidden in the background) who all play guitar and take turns on the lead vocals. Surprising thing is that each of them can take Mike's bass vocals just as easily as Brian's falsetto. There's one guy who looks a bit like Mike and dances just like him (and he's an excellent guitarist), one Asian guy with an amazing falsetto and one really annoying guy with over acted dramatically and kept screwing up the lyrics.

The first half of the show was mostly the familiar hits (and for some reason it also included 'Strawberry Fields Forever'). In the second half they did quite a few lesser known songs, like 'Long Promised Road', 'Til I Die', 'Disney Girls', 'Surf's Up', 'Vegetables' and 'Don't Talk'. The absolute highlight for me (apart from the shortest one of the two dancers... WOW... easily one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen) was the Asian guy doing an acoustic (almost) solo performance of 'Surfer Girl'. That song alone was pretty much worth the ticket price. Oh, and they don't do any of the car songs! That's a good thing in my book.

I was there with my parents, neither of whom are Beach Boys fans. My mom really enjoyed the hits but absolutely HATED 'Surf's Up' and 'Don't Talk'...  Roll Eyes

Information and tour scedule:
http://www.musicallight.nl/GoodVibrations.htm
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:20:19 AM »

Even though the show tries a little bit to be artistic (it includes two dancers and a stage with paintings in the background), it's really very little more than just a concert by a Beach Boys cover band. There are three "lead characters" (the rest of the seven piece band is hidden in the background) who all play guitar and take turns on the lead vocals. Surprising thing is that each of them can take Mike's bass vocals just as easily as Brian's falsetto. There's one guy who looks a bit like Mike and dances just like him (and he's an excellent guitarist), one Asian guy with an amazing falsetto and one really annoying guy with over acted dramatically and kept screwing up the lyrics.

Ha! I know Ted Koninkx----I assume he's the "excellent guitarist" of the three. Used to play with him in a weddings and events band in the '90s. He later sang in an acapella group called Montezuma's Revenge.  What a small world it is, to be sure. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx