gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:08:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Beach Boys sound like other Beach Boys.  (Read 20158 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »

I used to imagine that the magical effect of the vocal harmonies of the beach boys was due to the fact that each individual voice was related to another....

I think that's very much the case. Family vocal harmony is a wonderful thing, and the beauty of the BBs is that, not only did they have family members with great voices that blended well together, but they also had other non-family members (most especially Al) with voices that pigeon-holed beautifully into the blend.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2010, 06:29:53 PM »

That's Mike on HGS?

Again, mind blown. Was sure it was Brian doing a softer voice and then overdubbing.
No way is that mike. Brian all the way. Sorry global moderator but yer wrong!!!!

Agreed, that's definitely Brian doing the lead and backing vocal.

Wow...just realized my tape player 's jacked up. Listening to the mp3...I've been hearing it at the wrong speed. Yeah, it's Brian.

Brian sings "I Love to Say Da Da". PEOPLE WHO SAY OTHERWISE ARE FULL OF LIES AND PIE.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »

Guess what? I just figured out that the chorus of "Break Away" is sung by Al and not Carl! I always just thought it was Carl going nuts.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 10:29:29 AM by Don_Zabu » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2010, 02:34:09 AM »

Truth is, it's all Carol Kaye - she did everything. Bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, horns, vocals, composing, arranging, producing - hell, she even put the discs in the sleeves and loaded the trucks. She was everything, The Beach Boys were nothing. Believe it.  Thumbs Up

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »

Guess what? I just figured out that the chorus of "Break Away" is sung by Al and not Carl! I always just thought it was Carl going nuts.

Me too  Grin
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:51:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2010, 06:26:37 PM »

I've been listening to "Full Sail" a lot recently, and I keep hearing the line "adventures on the high seas..." at 1:45 being sung by Brian.

But this is crazy talk, right?

This is Carl singing this part (and the entirety of the song), right? Likely just another example of a Wilson brother momentarily sounding like another Wilson brother methinks...

Not crazy talk at all...I asked a few people about this same question, including Alan Boyd, when we were trying to gauge just where Brian is to be found on the LIGHT ALBUM.

The best answer I got is that that vocal part is Carl and the song's cowriter, Geoffrey Cushing-Murray.  It doesn't rule out Brian being in there (or someone else), but it does explain why the difference in vocal timbre.  

The rest of the background vocals are Carl and Bruce multitracked...I've heard the isolated tracks.  There's some question if Dennis or Bobby Figueroa aren't in there in some spots, but the general consensus of the experts is that they are not.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:35:50 PM by adamghost » Logged
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »

There are a few songs that sound like Brian but are actually Mike (atleast to these ears). Mostly early songs, I'll try and think some examples later.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2010, 07:28:28 AM »

One song that I always thought was one lead singer throughout was 'It's Over Now'. Blown away to find out there are 3. Carl, Brian and Marilyn!

What gets my goat is the line, "Shades of blue and purple haunt me".  It sounds as if Carl morphs into Brian over the course of that one sentence!     

"Jeff, you care." --BW
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »

I thought that one line WAS Brian?  I haven't heard it in forever though...
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »

Its definitely Brian.

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »

Hows this for embarassing I thought Brian was singing the "You need good timin" part for at least 3 years. I was also convinced it was Dennis saying Going On. This is despite knowing that they weren't prsent at the sessions for these songs!

pianoman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

When I was younger, I always thought  Blondie sang the verses with Carl in Marcella, you know, the "one arm over my shoulder" part.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »

Listen to the demo for MAD and tell me Carl doesn't take a few lines. "A flag without the wind" in particular.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »

Does anyone else think Bruce sounds like Al? This whole time I've listened to Wonderful, I thought it was Bruce doing the "daaa-da-da-da-da" part, but according to Wikipedia, it's actually Al. Or is Wikipedia getting their information wrong?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2011, 09:27:52 PM »

Does anyone else think Bruce sounds like Al? This whole time I've listened to Wonderful, I thought it was Bruce doing the "daaa-da-da-da-da" part, but according to Wikipedia, it's actually Al. Or is Wikipedia getting their information wrong?

Always sounded like Bruce to my ears.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »

for a while i thought "if i'm the one you love" was brian in please let me wonder.  now it's so obviously mike when i hear it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »

I thought it was Mike.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »

I thought it was Mike.

That's what I thought too, before I became more familiar with Bruce's voice.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »

I swear, Al is Brian's illegitimate brother. Murry Wilson must've fooled around on Audree with Mrs. Jardine and it produced the slightly-more-edge-having Brian Wilson sound-alike we know today.

Have you heard him singing Brian's part on God Only Knows at the Knebworth concert? It's phenomenal.

Hmm....

And "cool it on the monkey jokes!"
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »

Truth is, it's all Carol Kaye - she did everything. Bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, horns, vocals, composing, arranging, producing - hell, she even put the discs in the sleeves and loaded the trucks. She was everything, The Beach Boys were nothing. Believe it.  Thumbs Up

LOL...Andrew's been hanging out with Hal Blaine!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2011, 11:41:22 PM »

for a while i thought "if i'm the one you love" was brian in please let me wonder.  now it's so obviously mike when i hear it.
I think it's actually both of them, at least according to the SOT sessions that I've never heard.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »

Based on the data I've gathered, the thick black lines represent voices that sound similar to one another:

For it to come together this perfectly, I suspect black magic is involved.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »

Based on the data I've gathered, the thick black lines represent voices that sound similar to one another:

For it to come together this perfectly, I suspect black magic is involved.

Good thing you used a black line, then.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »

Al sounds alot like the Wilsons on "Be Here in the Morning" though I suspected it was his vocal. Im not sure what other track besides Cotton Fields he does lead in the 60's to compare his voice with, but even "Cotton Fields" could easily pass for Brian, at least to my ears. 

Wild Honey album is confusing for me to tell apart different leads usually.
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »

"Then I kissed her" on Summer Days sounds very much like Carl or Brian but its Al.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx