gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 06:42:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 most hated Beach Boy tunes  (Read 17380 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:18:49 AM »

This should be a blast! Pick the 10 BB songs you cannot stand and say why. Only the most forgiving fan could struggle to fill this list!!
Mine are as follows;
1) Solar System.  Have slagged this many a time before. May very well have caused Mike's last remaining hairs to fall out upon hearing it. Brian certainly wasn't "back" the day he wrote this dreck.
2) Passing Friend. Bad 80's synths, drum machines - yuk! The only thing worse than hearing The Beach Boys do a song written by Culture Club is hearing Culture Club do a song written by Culture Club.
3) Make it Good. I wish he had! This is the one Dennis song I truly detest and stops CATP from being a 5 star album. At least he made amends a track later with "Cuddle Up".
4) You're So Good to Me. Hate BW's voice on this when he goes "Luurrve It". Garbage lyrics. Why is this on practically every "best of" comp in the UK?
5) Heads You Win... Can't be assed to write it's entire title, you all know the one I mean. The outcome when you hurry a developing young songwriter into a studio to make a record when he's only got about 4 good songs to his name.
6) Problem Child. Mike and Melcher drag the groups name through the mud. The annoying kids "NAH NAH NANANAH"! is the best part of the song. Which says it all really.
7) When Girls Get Together. Nice one Bruce! This fits on KTSA much better than a track nabbed from Dennis's stillborn "Bambu" project would have. Good choice!!
Cool Let's put Our Hearts Together. Lumpy production meets bad lovey dovey lyrics that feature BW's wife wailing off key whilst eyeing up Rocky's package.
9) She Believes in Love Again. Ouch!! Again with the horrible 80's synth production. Plus Bruce makes us all laugh by trying to sound like Don Henley!!  LOL
10) Full Sail. Carl bores us with this AOR coma inducing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! (Sorry drifted off there) snoozefest.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:12:29 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »

I'd toss in 'Roller Skating Child' in there somewhere. I can't believe that Mike Love had a hard time with VDP's lyrics, yet thought these were OK.

I always sort of liked You're So Good To Me.... Cry
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:31:31 AM by A Million Units In Jan! » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:58:43 AM »

I like every song mentioned in the first two post! Razz

1. Take A Load Off Your Feet - take a load alright...
2. Summer Of Love
3. Louie Louie
4. She's Goin' Bald - parts of it are hard on the ears
5. Male Ego - terrible vocal, equally terrible lyrics, boring melody...
6. I Get Around/Little Deuce Coupe from Party
7. maybe Mama Says

that's it; I can't think of 10....   
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »

1.   Kokomo - The music just doesn't sound like Beach Boys music.  It sound too contrived.

2.   California Calling - 40 year old men should never sing the lyric "totally rad".

3.   Kona Coast - Faux Beach Boys.  Mike Love once again shows he didn't get what made Brian's music magic.

4.   Here Come the Night from LA - The Beach Boys take a great unknown gem and turn it into a generic disco tune that was probably 3 years out of date for its sound.  The Stones and the Bee Gees did disco songs that were still identifiable sonically as the Stones and the Bee Gees.  That is what the Beach Boys should have done.

5.   She's Got Rhythm - Brian's falsetto is not recognizable as Brian Wilson.

6.   Rock 'n Roll Music - Why doesn't it rock?  The synth heavy production turns it into a dirge instead of a rocker.

7.   Hey Little Tomboy - would you like a piece of candy? (Although I do like "Roller Skating Child" - figure that).

8.   Solar System - Nonsensical

9.   I Wanna Pick You Up - "Pat, Pat, Pat her on her butt  " - Not as creepy as Tomboy

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »

I'd toss in 'Roller Skating Child' in there somewhere. I can't believe that Mike Love had a hard time with VDP's lyrics, yet thought these were OK.

I always sort of liked You're So Good To Me.... Cry

And we'll make sweet lovin' 'til the sun goes down...we'll even do more when her mama's not around!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »

I never understood these claims. Both totally innocent songs that people take too literally. He isn't talking about fucking a literal child that roller skates, "child" is a term of endearment that I've heard used several times outside of this. He's not talking about pervertedly touching an infant's ass. Songs like these, "Hey Little Tomboy" etc. come from a totally innocent place. And when I say innocent, I mean innocent and harmless, not innocent as in a person doesn't know better.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »

I never understood these claims. Both totally innocent songs that people take too literally. He isn't talking about fucking a literal child that roller skates, "child" is a term of endearment that I've heard used several times outside of this. He's not talking about pervertedly touching an infant's ass. Songs like these, "Hey Little Tomboy" etc. come from a totally innocent place. And when I say innocent, I mean innocent and harmless, not innocent as in a person doesn't know better.

I didn't say it was perverted. I think that the lyrics to Roller Skating Child are stupid.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »

I didn't say it was perverted. I think that the lyrics to Roller Skating Child are stupid.

OH FINE.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »

This should be a blast! Pick the 10 BB songs you cannot stand and say why. Only the most forgiving fan could struggle to fill this list!!
Mine are as follows;
1) Solar System.  Have slagged this many a time before. May very well have caused Mike's last remaining hairs to fall out upon hearing it. Brian certainly wasn't "back" the day he wrote this dreck.
2) Passing Friend. Bad 80's synths, drum machines - yuk! The only thing worse than hearing The Beach Boys do a song written by Culture Club is hearing Culture Club do a song written by Culture Club.
3) Make it Good. I wish he had! This is the one Dennis song I truly detest and stops CATP from being a 5 star album. At least he made amends a track later with "Cuddle Up".
4) You're So Good to Me. Hate BW's voice on this when he goes "Luurrve It". Garbage lyrics. Why is this on practically every "best of" comp in the UK?
5) Heads You Win... Can't be assed to write it's entire title, you all know the one I mean. The outcome when you hurry a developing young songwriter into a studio to make a record when he's only got about 4 good songs to his name.
6) Problem Child. Mike and Melcher drag the groups name through the mud. The annoying kids "NAH NAH NANANAH"! is the best part of the song. Which says it all really.
7) When Girls Get Together. Nice one Bruce! This fits on KTSA much better than a track nabbed from Dennis's stillborn "Bambu" project would have. Good choice!!
Cool Let's put Our Hearts Together. Lumpy production meets bad lovey dovey lyrics that feature BW's wife wailing off key whilst eyeing up Rocky's package.
9) She Believes in Love Again. Ouch!! Again with the horrible 80's synth production. Plus Bruce makes us all laugh by trying to sound like Don Henley!!  LOL
10) Full Sail. Carl bores us with this AOR coma inducing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! (Sorry drifted off there) snoozefest.

5, 6, and 10 suck ass. I actually forgot about "Problem Child" when I said what 3 songs were my least favorite in another post. In that case, let me humbly add the hideous "Happy Endings". Yeah, I was happy when the Luther ended.

edit..."Luther"? Seriously"! LOL  interesting word filter...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:07:35 PM by Fear 2 Stop® » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 04:03:49 PM »

All these lists are invalid as there are more than ten tracks on Summer in Paradise.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »

2) Passing Friend.

7) When Girls Get Together.

Eight) Let's put Our Hearts Together.

9) She Believes in Love Again.

Yup, pretty darn bad.
Make It Good and Full Sail though are good to my ears, the others very passable if not downright fine.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jason
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »

I'm So Lonely
Happy Endings
Problem Child
Crocodile Rock
When Girls Get Together
Sunshine
Some Of Your Love
Cuckoo Clock
Rubles
The Battle Hymn of the Republic
mtaber
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »

Sumahama
Everyone's in Love with You
Smart Girls

MBE
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:14:05 PM »

It's as hard to pick an all time worst as it is an all time best. I left out solo recordings even though I think that the very worst stuff comes from the solo outings. This is just what popped in my head.
I'm So Lonely-Terrible lyrics, vocals, and production,.
Happy Endings-cloying and so off putting in general.
Surfin 1992 remake-Takes something that was cool and twists it into something crappy.
Summer Of Love- Holy s--t is this bad or what? The lyrics are so creepy.
She Believes In Love-Boring MOR rubbish. I honestly can't stand this one.
I Want To Pick You Up-Horrid Vocals, cutesy production, never even mind the lyrics!
Love Is A Woman-"Tell Her She Smells Good Tonight" WHY BRIAN WHY? The vocals are strained as hell
Here Comes The Night 1979-That one would turn a cool RnB song into a disco track is bad enough but this is the worst disco I've ever heard next to Disco Celebration.
School Days-Corny as hell. I can't get the image of the line dancing during the chorus out of my head.
Problem Child-Hate this because it's so putrid. It really was a lowpoint.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 10:18:52 PM »

If we are limiting this to officially released stuff, then I can't fill a "top ten hated songs" list...I think even the worst stuff is at least listenable.  Many of the titles mentioned above are songs I love!   Particularly Full Sail!

BUT...if we can do unreleased stuff, then I have a handful of tunes...

1. Oh! Those Girls! (Mike Love channeling his inner Richard Simmons)
2. Smart Girls (particularly the version that includes all the samples of BB songs...sacrilege!)
3. It's Not Easy Being Me (I know people like this song, but it just sounds so whiny and miserable and cliche)

That's honestly all I could come up with...
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 01:40:12 AM »

If we are keeping it to only Beach Boys songs and only official releases...

1. Summer of Love - Terrible lyrics, terrible vocals.

2. I Wanna Pick you Up - Plodding dull track, abysmal lyrics and really weak vocal. The tag doesn't save it.

3. In the Still of the Night - Another shockingly bad Dennis vocal and poor production from Brian.

4. Rock and Roll Music - Mike is far too nasal and another half-hearted attempt from Brian.

5. Sunshine - Bruce has talked about the trouble they went to in splicing this together but what he didn't explain was, why??? Dull, repetitive music and surely the session musicians that the band had at their disposal could have done better if they'd started afresh.

6. Still Cruisin' - The lyrics are just far too derivative on this one and Terry Melcher's production too polished.

7. Love is a Woman - It's rather sad that the band had lost their way so much that they were willing to release guff like this. Terrible vocals and lyrics.

8. Passing Friend - If only Bruce had been friends with The Smiths' or U2's producer...Instead we get this bilge.

9. This Car of Mine - The words are infantile and the track half-finished.

10. California Callin' - A cross between a few of the hits but far worse than any of them. 
MBE
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 02:11:16 AM »

I guess I excuse songs like "This Car Of Mine" or "Heads I Win" because they seem genuine. They aren't what I would call great, but they aren't cynical like so much of the 1976-96 Beach Boys music was. I really don't dislike much of the Beach Boys first dozen years."When Girls Get Together" is probably the only pre 1975 song that I actually hate.

I notice Rock and Roll Music is on here a lot. It's a little nerdy, but I like that they took the time to make a fresh arrangment. The hot mix is actually pretty cool.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 07:06:12 AM »

All these lists are invalid as there are more than ten tracks on Summer in Paradise.

I live in Oceana - any vestages of SIP have been erased from my world - It does not exist.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 07:19:55 AM »

Looking at the total body of work, there's plenty to hate.  But of the biggest hits, the tracks included on the best ofs, one I never need to hear again is "Be True To Your School."  I'm also not crazy about "All Summer Long," or "When I Grow Up."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 08:28:23 AM »

I would have to think more about it but:

Solar System
My Diane
Match Point of our Love
Endless Harmony
All of Summer in Paradise

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »

I am not going to put any covers on my list. Also, I haven't owned SIP for a long time, so I don't remember them enough to include so here goes:

1. That Same Song: Sounds like a song written by an 8 year old
2. Still Cruisin: Mike's awful 80s nasal and attempting to recreate their early sound Tongue
3. California Calling: Same as SC
4. She's Got Rhythm: Very cheesey
5. This Car of Mine: Here is a song from the early days where they attempted to sound like they would in the late 70s....or something
6. Darlin: Over rated and boring
7. TM Song: I sort of enjoy the monologue at the beginning, but starting with Al's 'It's time to meditate' pure awfulness.
8. Kona Coast: Same as SC and CC
9. Little Douce Coupe: Worst hit song of the 60s IMO
10. He Come Down: The only cheese in the Chaplin/Fataar era

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »

So far I think SIP has the highest percentage of hated tracks on an album. Didn't see that comming one bit  Wink. I'm ashamed to admit I quite like the '90's "Surfin" remake. Sounds like they crossed the original with the theme to "Baywatch". Enjoyable in a bad cheesy kindda way!

If we're gonna throw solo efforts in there may I be the first to put forward "Why Won't Someone Dance With Me" by Bruce. Infact that's worse than anything on my original top 10 list now I think about it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »

So far I think SIP has the highest percentage of hated tracks on an album. Didn't see that comming one bit  Wink. I'm ashamed to admit I quite like the '90's "Surfin" remake. Sounds like they crossed the original with the theme to "Baywatch". Enjoyable in a bad cheesy kindda way!

If we're gonna throw solo efforts in there may I be the first to put forward "Why Won't Someone Dance With Me" by Bruce. Infact that's worse than anything on my original top 10 list now I think about it.

Mike I totally agree with you regarding 'Won't Someone Dance With Me', I would go as far as saying that it is the absolute worse song in the Beach Boys/Beach Boys related catalogue.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »

InSIPid-- all of SIP-YES

Sumahama-YES

It's surprising how much I like "Love You" overall despite the number of songs that I skip thru when listening to it!
LPOHT-mentioned above
LIAW-mentioned above
Airplane- just can't stand Mike's parts and the banal lyrics.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »

Mike I totally agree with you regarding 'Won't Someone Dance With Me', I would go as far as saying that it is the absolute worse song in the Beach Boys/Beach Boys related catalogue.

THat song is so bad, it makes me laugh/cringe every time I hear it! haha...it just drags on and on.  By the time Bruce gets to the final part..."You've FOUND someone to dance..." I have to laugh at how sitting through the song is sheer torture...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx