gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:02:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 most hated Beach Boy tunes  (Read 16606 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »

I love being "shut down" by AGD. I would never question his judgement when it comes to matters Beach Boys. But in my defense, I saw the song done live before I heard the record. So whatever you say. I stand corrected.

Have to say, I was also wetting myself laughing at what Billy was wearing (Elvis style jump suit that lit up like a Christmas tree) so it's entirely possible that my observations were compromised.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 10:11:05 PM »

Ha ha ha epic LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2010, 04:56:09 AM »

I'm guessing Carl wanted nothing to do with the whole thing. Notice he's absent from the video as well.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2010, 09:42:37 PM »

Hearing "Kokomo" on the radio makes me want to strangle a baby.

Enough said.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2010, 05:26:52 AM »

i wouldn't strangle a baby, but yeah that song is poop.  But it's better than the other 80's poop floating in the beach boys toilet.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »

Pat, pat, pat, pat her on the butt...........my girl friend penny ,shes kind of skinny, and so she needs her falsies on..........

there have been occasions when I have pushed the skip button on these for fear that someone would hear me listening to such warped and bizarre stuff..

and I hate Barbara f........Ann as much as AGD!....but others have complained when I hit the skip button on this one.  Go figure.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »

Can't answer your original question about the BW vocals on the record, but Brian was never on stage with the band when it was done live in concert and it sounded pretty much the same as the record. By the way, what a scene it was to see The Fat Boys come waltzing out the first time. Turned alot of heads.

I've seen the band do it live (lead vocals: Billy Hinsche) and it sounded nothing at all like the record.

Within the limits of my ability, I've deconstructed the track, and the only voice I hear is Brian's. I stand to be corrected, of course, but currently, that's my strong belief. I suspect the subtle hand of one Eugene E. Landy...

How did you do it? 
BTW, when I think of AGD listening to Wipe Out, I'm sure his face is cringing.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »

Again......

"When Girls Get Together"

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Paulos
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »

Island Fever....it's just so incredibly bad....and......and I dont wanna talk about it anymore  Cry
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »

Can't answer your original question about the BW vocals on the record, but Brian was never on stage with the band when it was done live in concert and it sounded pretty much the same as the record. By the way, what a scene it was to see The Fat Boys come waltzing out the first time. Turned alot of heads.

I've seen the band do it live (lead vocals: Billy Hinsche) and it sounded nothing at all like the record.

Within the limits of my ability, I've deconstructed the track, and the only voice I hear is Brian's. I stand to be corrected, of course, but currently, that's my strong belief. I suspect the subtle hand of one Eugene E. Landy...

How did you do it? 

These days you can do awesome things with PCF plug-ins, parametric EQ and good, ol' fashioned OOPS.  Smiley

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »

How did you do it? 

These days you can do awesome things with PCF plug-ins, parametric EQ and good, ol' fashioned OOPS.  Smiley
Sorry, I've heard you say it before, but what is OOPS?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2010, 04:22:07 PM »

How did you do it? 

Sorry, I've heard you say it before, but what is OOPS?

Out Of Phase Stereo.  Smiley

This is as good an explanation as I've come across: http://www.beatlesagain.com/btoops2.html

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »

Just re-listened to Wipe Out, first time in years...so gag worthy....I think as a kid, I thought it sounded cool, but couldn't wait for Make it Big to come on....I did like Brian's harmonies in the background on Wipe Out though.

This maybe deviates from the main subject somewhat (but hey F'U' , I started it!  LOL ) but does anyone know what the deal was with the backing vocals to "Wipe Out"? In AGD's book he states that it's been thought by those in the know that only Brian is vocally present here (excluding the Fat Boys rapping). When I first read that I thought he had flipped but a quick listen reveals ~ no Carl or Al whatsoever, 99% certain no Mike and possibly (could be wrong) only a tiny bit of Bruce on the "HEEEEEEEY WATCH OUT!" part. Why would Brian vocally dominate a tune that Mike and Bruce started at a time when he was pretty much on the outs with the band? A big mystery.

Also if I had never heard this song many times as kid  growing up I would put it high on my top 10 list of hated tunes.

Gary Usher produced a session where Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce recorded vocals for the track.  Carl reportedly wanted nothing to do with it .  But, like many others, I've always only ever heard Brian's voice, and in the beginning thought Mike might possibly be doing the low voice.  But have no proof.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »

Just re-listened to Wipe Out, first time in years...so gag worthy....I think as a kid, I thought it sounded cool, but couldn't wait for Make it Big to come on....I did like Brian's harmonies in the background on Wipe Out though.

This maybe deviates from the main subject somewhat (but hey F'U' , I started it!  LOL ) but does anyone know what the deal was with the backing vocals to "Wipe Out"? In AGD's book he states that it's been thought by those in the know that only Brian is vocally present here (excluding the Fat Boys rapping). When I first read that I thought he had flipped but a quick listen reveals ~ no Carl or Al whatsoever, 99% certain no Mike and possibly (could be wrong) only a tiny bit of Bruce on the "HEEEEEEEY WATCH OUT!" part. Why would Brian vocally dominate a tune that Mike and Bruce started at a time when he was pretty much on the outs with the band? A big mystery.

Also if I had never heard this song many times as kid  growing up I would put it high on my top 10 list of hated tunes.

Gary Usher produced a session where Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce recorded vocals for the track.  Carl reportedly wanted nothing to do with it .  But, like many others, I've always only ever heard Brian's voice, and in the beginning thought Mike might possibly be doing the low voice.  But have no proof.

To be fair, I always used to think that "Solar System" was a BW solo effort too, so I could be wrong here too. But... I still can only hear one voice in the bvs.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »

I agree with AGD   Cool

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 12:15:11 PM »

Yeah they are clearly Brian in SHOUTY 80's mode.

In G Usher's book he states that he had a big bust up with Al before the session took place and a falling out with Bruce of sorts during the recording. Perhaps this was all Gary's doing as a "up yours" to them all but to be honest he didn't strike me as that kind of guy.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »

I'm sure that I will hear that this doesn't count, but it does for me. Duke of Earl in the setlist for so long was atrocious. Nothing else even comes close!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2010, 01:44:02 AM »

I'm sure that I will hear that this doesn't count, but it does for me. Duke of Earl in the setlist for so long was atrocious. Nothing else even comes close!
Yeah, probably doesn't count, but I think that DOE is the most pointless inclusion on the setlists of the past decade...it lasted about 6 years or so?  Crazy!  Thank you to Scott Totten for stopping the madness!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2010, 05:15:26 AM »

Agreed...I'd rather hear Mike do a cover from LBWL....   Grin

Let alone, Mike is just confusing the average BB fan by performing that, now that fan's ipod has the Duke of Earl by the Beach Boys, haha....same goes for performing Sherry
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:16:37 AM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2010, 11:39:27 AM »

This situation illustrates a major point. It took Scott Totten to get that drek of a song off the list? Really? And all the while Bruce is standing there? Really?
Well, Bruce has said when asked about DOE that, " Mike likes it." What a lackey.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »

Got to be honest here, Why Do Fools Fall In Love needs a break too! I know they actually cut it, but it just sounds out of place.  It has been in the setlist for several years now, they make way too big a deal out of it at the concerts (it was a B Side cover and not your best guys)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »

Just my personal opinion, but I actually enjoyed "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" and "Duke Of Earl" as part of the set lists. I'm also a fan of old Doo Wop records in general, and I think those were a huge influence on Mike's work, and really added something to the classic BB sound.

Yes, 6 years is a long time to be performing a cover of a song that the band never actually recorded; but how long have they been playing Barbara Ann? I'd rather see them play up their Doo Wop/Vocal Group influence than pretend that their a bunch young and hip guys trying to stay current; that's the music that influenced them.

I say bring back "Riot In Cell Block #9"!!   Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »

I Love DooWop too, but Duke of Earl ain't the best example. What would be cool would be for the BBs to perform "Gee" by The Crows, or "Get A Job" by The Silhouettes!

“We live in divisive times.”
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »

I've never heard the DOE cover but I can just hear Mike doing the intro base.

DITTO on the appreciation of Scott.  A jewel in the crown of the touring BB band.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2014, 01:29:27 AM »

I definitely can't think of a top 10. But here's a top 5 from Worst to Best:

05: Wipeout
04: Kona Coast
03: California Calling
02: Sumahama
01: Summer Of Love

Runner-ups include the rest of the SIP album, most of MIU, almost all of 15 Big Ones and KTSA, and Catch A Wave. Problem is, I can't properly rank all of this
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx