gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:56:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 most hated Beach Boy tunes  (Read 16966 times)
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 05:02:41 PM »

So far I think SIP has the highest percentage of hated tracks on an album. Didn't see that comming one bit  Wink. I'm ashamed to admit I quite like the '90's "Surfin" remake. Sounds like they crossed the original with the theme to "Baywatch". Enjoyable in a bad cheesy kindda way!

If we're gonna throw solo efforts in there may I be the first to put forward "Why Won't Someone Dance With Me" by Bruce. Infact that's worse than anything on my original top 10 list now I think about it.

Mike I totally agree with you regarding 'Won't Someone Dance With Me', I would go as far as saying that it is the absolute worse song in the Beach Boys/Beach Boys related catalogue.

THat song is so bad, it makes me laugh/cringe every time I hear it! haha...it just drags on and on.  By the time Bruce gets to the final part..."You've FOUND someone to dance..." I have to laugh at how sitting through the song is sheer torture...

In a Top 10 Most Hated Solo Albums thread, "Going Public" would be high up on my list.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:03:53 PM by Ganz Allein » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »

I'm convinced this is turning into the "overrated Beach Boys songs" thread all over again. I'm having a hard time coming up with why anyone would name anything recorded before 78 over the huge amount of awful songs that came out after that.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 06:39:44 PM »

It's as hard to pick an all time worst as it is an all time best. I left out solo recordings even though I think that the very worst stuff comes from the solo outings. This is just what popped in my head.
I'm So Lonely-Terrible lyrics, vocals, and production,.
Happy Endings-cloying and so off putting in general.
Surfin 1992 remake-Takes something that was cool and twists it into something crappy.
Summer Of Love- Holy s--t is this bad or what? The lyrics are so creepy.
She Believes In Love-Boring MOR rubbish. I honestly can't stand this one.
I Want To Pick You Up-Horrid Vocals, cutesy production, never even mind the lyrics!
Love Is A Woman-"Tell Her She Smells Good Tonight" WHY BRIAN WHY? The vocals are strained as hell
Here Comes The Night 1979-That one would turn a cool RnB song into a disco track is bad enough but this is the worst disco I've ever heard next to Disco Celebration.
School Days-Corny as hell. I can't get the image of the line dancing during the chorus out of my head.
Problem Child-Hate this because it's so putrid. It really was a lowpoint.

I second your list! With the exception of I'm So Lonely, just a little guilty pleasure of mine.   Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »

I am not going to put any covers on my list. Also, I haven't owned SIP for a long time, so I don't remember them enough to include so here goes:

1. That Same Song: Sounds like a song written by an 8 year old
2. Still Cruisin: Mike's awful 80s nasal and attempting to recreate their early sound Tongue
3. California Calling: Same as SC
4. She's Got Rhythm: Very cheesey
5. This Car of Mine: Here is a song from the early days where they attempted to sound like they would in the late 70s....or something
6. Darlin: Over rated and boring
7. TM Song: I sort of enjoy the monologue at the beginning, but starting with Al's 'It's time to meditate' pure awfulness.
8. Kona Coast: Same as SC and CC
9. Little Douce Coupe: Worst hit song of the 60s IMO
10. He Come Down: The only cheese in the Chaplin/Fataar era

Really?  Do you think the live version of Darlin' is a little better? more lively?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »

9. Little Douce Coupe: Worst hit song of the 60s IMO
10. He Come Down: The only cheese in the Chaplin/Fataar era

Totally disagree with both of these selections. To me, "Little Deuce Coupe" features what may be one of the downright finest early lead vocal performances by Mike. The whole song/production sounds incredibly cool to these ears, especially the drums.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »

Too many to choose from, but...
Problem Child
Make It Big
Match Point...
Summer of Love
California Calling
Everyone's In Love With You
Livin' With A Heartache
Sunshine
Here Comes the Night disco version
Island Fever

I'm excluding covers and what might be termed juvenilia.

Honk! Honk!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »

Livin' With A Heartache
Sunshine

My two favorite songs from KTSA. I know, a matter of opinion....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »

1. Barbara-f******-Ann
  2. Barbara-f******-Ann
  3. Barbara-f******-Ann
  4. Barbara-f******-Ann
  5. Barbara-f******-Ann
  6. Barbara-f******-Ann
  7. Barbara-f******-Ann
  8. Barbara-f******-Ann
  9. Barbara-f******-Ann
10. Barbara-f******-Ann

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »

I don't think that Andrew likes Barbara Ann.
mtaber
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »

Barbara f****** Ann must be from the Ding Dang session...
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »

BA was certainly a major success and much enjoyed song when done live in concert. It usually brought the house down!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »

BA was certainly a major success and much enjoyed song when done live in concert. It usually brought the house down!

Agreed, but many a great performance, particularly in the early 70's, was ruined by overzealous "fans" screaming for this overrated song. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »

LOL...he feels the same way I do about Don't Back Down and Don't Hurt My Little Sister. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »

Just re-listened to Wipe Out, first time in years...so gag worthy....I think as a kid, I thought it sounded cool, but couldn't wait for Make it Big to come on....I did like Brian's harmonies in the background on Wipe Out though.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:16 PM »

I would have to think more about it but:

Solar System
My Diane
Match Point of our Love

Endless Harmony
All of Summer in Paradise

The three I highlighted above, in pink, are some of my favorites.  I crank My Diane...which flows nicely into Match Point.  Some of the best 70s Beach Boys.

I love everything the Beach Boys did...however when Brian wasn't involved...like in the mid-80s and beyond.  Yeah...some of those are dreck.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »

Still Cruisin
California Calling
Student Demonstration Time
winds of change
when girls get together
passing friend
any song where mike adds in beach boys song titles in a nostalgic way e.g Brian's Back

Love Make it good, Roller S C, i wanna pick you up

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 09:57:45 AM »

"any song where mike adds in beach boys song titles in a nostalgic way e.g Brian's Back"

Oh yes.

Honk! Honk!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »

Two songs that I just can't stand, like you'd have to hold a gun to my head to listen to are "Winds Of Change" and "California Calling", possibly two of the worst songs in the history of music.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »

Just re-listened to Wipe Out, first time in years...so gag worthy....I think as a kid, I thought it sounded cool, but couldn't wait for Make it Big to come on....I did like Brian's harmonies in the background on Wipe Out though.

This maybe deviates from the main subject somewhat (but hey F'U' , I started it!  LOL ) but does anyone know what the deal was with the backing vocals to "Wipe Out"? In AGD's book he states that it's been thought by those in the know that only Brian is vocally present here (excluding the Fat Boys rapping). When I first read that I thought he had flipped but a quick listen reveals ~ no Carl or Al whatsoever, 99% certain no Mike and possibly (could be wrong) only a tiny bit of Bruce on the "HEEEEEEEY WATCH OUT!" part. Why would Brian vocally dominate a tune that Mike and Bruce started at a time when he was pretty much on the outs with the band? A big mystery.

Also if I had never heard this song many times as kid  growing up I would put it high on my top 10 list of hated tunes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:52:38 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »

Can't answer your original question about the BW vocals on the record, but Brian was never on stage with the band when it was done live in concert and it sounded pretty much the same as the record. By the way, what a scene it was to see The Fat Boys come waltzing out the first time. Turned alot of heads.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »

Can't answer your original question about the BW vocals on the record, but Brian was never on stage with the band when it was done live in concert and it sounded pretty much the same as the record. By the way, what a scene it was to see The Fat Boys come waltzing out the first time. Turned alot of heads.

I've seen the band do it live (lead vocals: Billy Hinsche) and it sounded nothing at all like the record.

Within the limits of my ability, I've deconstructed the track, and the only voice I hear is Brian's. I stand to be corrected, of course, but currently, that's my strong belief. I suspect the subtle hand of one Eugene E. Landy...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »

...even the low part?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »

I like "Wipe Out". It's fun, but in a stupid sort of way, and obviously I don't enjoy it in the same way I enjoy basically anything else by the band.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:37:58 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »

...even the low part?

Yup.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »

I love being "shut down" by AGD. I would never question his judgement when it comes to matters Beach Boys. But in my defense, I saw the song done live before I heard the record. So whatever you say. I stand corrected.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx