gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681289 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 02:52:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Do It Again' vs. 'It's OK' - Which Is Better?  (Read 10774 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »

"Do It Again" all the way! Just love that intro. Got a groove to it. Despite being about surfing I'd say apart from Brian's pounding old school piano playing it sounds very little like the early stuff. The excursion's into "Pet Sounds", "Good Vibrations", "Smile" etc had changed the band musically so that when they tried a retro thing they got a cool weird hybrid sound. I know what 99% of people would choose but I find it very hard to pick out of "Do it Again", "Good Vibrations" and (believe it or not) "Cottonfields" what my favourite BB's single of all time is. "It's OK" by comparison is just an OK song on an OK (at best) album.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:29:23 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 04:01:42 PM »

Both of these are big favorites of mine...but I pick "Do it Again." If "Again" lacked (as it often did live) the falsetto line, it would go to "It's OK" all the way. The recordings of both of these songs are tops.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »

"It's OK" is a 70's BB classic.

"Do It Again" is a BB classic, period.

And that makes all the difference to me.

Exactly!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 04:31:13 PM »

If I use my playlist over 30 years it is DIA by 1000 - 1.

Intro, vocals, instuments all perfect IMO. Even the intro's background 'chatter' fits.

'Its OK' is just that! Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »

"It's OK" is a 70's BB classic.

"Do It Again" is a BB classic, period.

And that makes all the difference to me.

For some reason I imagined this post sung to the tune of "All This is That".  Damn I'm a BB geek...LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »

I always thought "It's OK" was just too short.  By the time I'm  just into it, it ends.

Really? I always thought it was one verse and chorus too long for its own good.

As for the question, I really find it tough to answer, basically because of everything that's been said in the thread already.

Whoa - It's only 2 mins 15 secs as is.  Pull out a verse and chorus and you've got an itunes sample.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 07:28:40 PM »

"It's OK" overall is only forgivable due to the fact that it is indeed BB. Mike is atrocious on it.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »

Do It Again for sure.  a stereo remix would do wonders for it i think.
MBE
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 10:52:58 PM »

It's OK is a fun song, by their mid seventies standards it's amazing. I like Mike's vocals and the way the song chugs along. As much as I do like it I can't put in the same catagory as Do It Again.

Do It Again has it all. It's a look back at the old days but with a very sharp 1968 feel to it. The Beach Boys were still in their prime when Do It Again was cut and this really makes a difference especally in the harmonies.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »

I always thought "It's OK" was just too short.  By the time I'm  just into it, it ends.

Really? I always thought it was one verse and chorus too long for its own good.

As for the question, I really find it tough to answer, basically because of everything that's been said in the thread already.

Whoa - It's only 2 mins 15 secs as is.  Pull out a verse and chorus and you've got an itunes sample.

Some songs can be two minutes but be too long, and some songs can be ten minutes and seem to fly by, know what I mean?

That'd only make it maybe 1:45 or so, really - not too short, to me.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 01:55:05 AM »

Do It Again vs It's OK?? Why not start a thread God Only Knows vs Winds of Change?

Don't get me wrong, i quite like It's OK. Compared to most of the other 15 BO material it's great, it's pretty catchy but not insanely so, and the fade is nice. But Do It Again is infinitely better - amazing production, wildly inventive (that fantastic pounding opening, the constant changes in tone throughout, the SMiLE fx at the fade), much better lyrics; just an all round far superior song.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 01:59:43 AM »

Do It Again vs It's OK?? Why not start a thread God Only Knows vs Winds of Change?

Don't get me wrong, i quite like It's OK. Compared to most of the other 15 BO material it's great, it's pretty catchy but not insanely so, and the fade is nice. But Do It Again is infinitely better - amazing production, wildly inventive (that fantastic pounding opening, the constant changes in tone throughout, the SMiLE fx at the fade), much better lyrics; just an all round far superior song.

Well, I see similarities. Simple 4/4 (2/4) beats, summery feelings, melancholia (OK I nicked this from allmusic.com) and so on. And I like both of them a lot.

Next: God Only Knows vs. Winds of Change. (I must confess that I like WOC a whole lot. It has a fantastic melody. Sadly, it's under/overproduced, depending on the way one sees it; and it has undeservedly gotten a trashcan status thanks to the writings of people like Dave Marsh. Nonsense. With different lyrics and better arranging, it would have been awesome.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 07:49:37 AM »

Agree with AGD - "DIA" is a BB classic.

+1

Love them both but with "It's O.K." I want more. 

I' refer to this feeling as the "Ding Dang" syndrome.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »

+1

...a.k.a. the 'Meant For You' trauma.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 09:20:12 AM »

I've never liked 'Do it again' and i've always liked 'It's OK'!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 04:17:59 AM »

+1

...a.k.a. the 'Meant For You' trauma.
Isn't that the same as the "I Went To Sleep" disorder?  Grin

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »

Never thought of the songs' shortness as much of a problem. I've even particularly enjoyed the shorter pieces because they made me want to listen all over again, which is great. I'd rather listen to such an achingly short BB/BW tune ten times in a row instead of immersing myself in a 20-minutes piece of progressive rock and being a nervous wreck afterwards. There's more substance to "Meant for You" than to the whole of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" I believe.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »

Do It Again is in my top 3 BB tunes of all time!

It's OK is probably in my top 20, if not top 10! 

I love them both!  The studio versions, and they are 2 of my favorite songs to hear live...

I also like Keepin The Summer Alive in the same way that I like these 2 songs...it probably makes my top 50.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »

Never thought of the songs' shortness as much of a problem. I've even particularly enjoyed the shorter pieces because they made me want to listen all over again, which is great.

I think you hit on a point - a very underrated point - as to one of the reasons (there are several, of course) for the success and timelessness of BW/BB music, which are the relatively short lengths of the songs.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »

I'm going with....

It's Ok

Great Dennis fade out.  I actually did a mix, where it came out twice as long.  That song is so flunkin' good.  I've played it back-to-back-to-back-to-back, cranked...in total, head-banging bliss many times.  "Lookin' down the hood of a    funky-ride!"

Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 08:14:43 PM »

I'm hopelessly nostalgic about 1976.  It's the year I met my beloved wife of now almost 32 years.  So it's very hard for me to be objective about this.  And anyway, I think both songs are fabulous summer-rockers. 

But trying to be as objective as possible, I'll give a slight edge to "Do It Again"...mainly for that amazing, Pet Sounds-esque middle section.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »

"Do It Again" is the better song of the two in my opinion.

Although "It's OK" is a fine song in and of itself.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010, 07:37:10 PM »

Do it Again is easily the best.      I especially like the early rough cut with the choppy surf-rock guitar sound.

On first hearing back in the day, Its OK served as a nice retro number as a follow up to ES, but it seemed a little forced or contrived.  DIA always seemed a natural.  Right up there with  I can hear music from the same release.

But to be fair, it is really a cup of tea thing   Whatever!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010, 08:08:20 PM »

I have to go with Do It Again. I say this especially due to Mike's vocals. He is just too nasal on It's OK, and if you listen to the slightly sped up 45 version, it makes him even more nasally. I do enjoy the fade by Dennis, though. Nice touch!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 07:10:35 AM »

Do It Again is one the Beach Boys last great songs, and has poignancy and beauty and involves genuine creativity.  It's OK is just moronic juvenillia. Kokomo is better. Surely no-one on the board seriously thinks there is any comparison between these two songs?

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx