-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Help! My computer is f*cked
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help! My computer is f*cked  (Read 5109 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »

I'm using my wife's computer right now. Mine's basically toast.

I was running Super Anti-Spyware on my computer and it found a trojan.Like I've done in the past, I deleted it and then was prompted to restart my computer. Afterwards, NOTHING works. Not a thing. Every program I try to run pulls up a window that says "open with" and has a list of programs.  So, I tried using system restore. All I get is an error message that states "system restore is not able to protect your computer. please restart your computer" which does not work. Running in safe mode does not work. I have files that I *cannot* afford to lose on my computer, and some stuff that is irreplaceable. Can anybody help? I am desperate right now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »

Billy, I've got the perfect program for you. I guarantee you won't use another antivirus or security program again.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus, or ESET Smart Security 4. The ESET website (www.eset.com) has a trial version on there, and you can download the full versions as well right off of the site for around $50 for a one-year subscription (renewed annually). If you MUST have a physical CD, it's sold in many computer stores; Micro Center lists it as their preferred antivirus, and if you have to check a computer in with them for service, they automatically offer you the program for the $50 fee.

It's a well-reviewed program in the trade magazines and online as well, possibly the most consistently highly rated software in the antivirus game. Of course, it's not 100% perfect, but the good thing about it is that it always runs in the background, scanning all of your system files, anything saved to your computer, every file that you view on the internet, it'll catch spyware, adware, you name it. If it catches something, it will flash a message on your screen saying it caught something, with an option to delete and then quarantine the file. It also lets you report it to their techs so they can figure out ways to get rid of the malware in a later update. You can also run a dedicated scan along with the background scans.

For $50 a year, considering it gets rid of a good 99.5% of junk right away, it's a steal. And it constantly updates as long as your subscription is still good, so if something sneaks through and an update comes along that catches it, it'll be wiped out. Once your subscription expires (and it'll warn you a month in advance), it will still run but there won't be automatic updates until you subscribe again.

ESET offers a single user version of both programs for $50, and a three-user program can be installed for another $20 if you have several PCs at home. It's also Windows 7 certified, so no need to fret if you have a brand new machine with Windows 7 and can't find anything compatible.

ESET along with MalwareBytes is the gold standard. The latter is free and THE best program for most online problems; their website is www.malwarebytes.com.

Throw away your Nortons and McAfees. Get ESET. Trust me. You'll have fewer troubles after you install it.

No, I'm not a bot.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »

Looks like i'm still infected. System restore does not work; I get a message stating "System restore cannot protect your computer. Please restart and run system restore again." If I try to use Google, any site I click on automatically brings me to a fake search engine that says "background sleuth" up at the top.

This is balls.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:34:44 AM »

Oh, and if I try to run Malwarebytes or Spybot now, my computer restarts after a couple of minutes.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:19:01 AM »

I fixed my computer problem...by switching over to Internet Explorer from Firefox. I was prompted to update IE to IE8, and while I was doing so one of the steps was the computer searching for viruses, and it cleaned it during the install! Now everything works! I ran Malwarebytes and it found 55 files. >-<
                                                                                                  ___

MBE
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:01:15 AM »

I fixed my computer problem...by switching over to Internet Explorer from Firefox. I was prompted to update IE to IE8, and while I was doing so one of the steps was the computer searching for viruses, and it cleaned it during the install! Now everything works! I ran Malwarebytes and it found 55 files. >-<
                                                                                                  ___
It seems that a lot of virusus are going around the past few weeks. One of my best friends had two and I had one myself. They are so terrible, I just cannot understand what kind of sick mind would go around wanting to mess with peoples computers like that.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:15:54 AM »

Yeah no doubt. You know what's a trip? This site is now working 100% for me and it hasn't in about a week. Oddly, the same thing happened when I was using a computer at work.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »

My computer got a bunch of "worms" a few months ago. It was doing weird stuff like totally shutting down at random. I could be right in the middle of a Smiley Smile thread, and the comouter would just shut totally off, without warning. We would tell it to restart, and it would totally shut off. It did that consistantly. It NEVER actually restarted when it was told to. It shut off. It would also "eat" backgrounds/wallpapers, and change to a blue screen. It would also literally take about 15-20 minutes to start up.  It got so bad that we just got a whole new computer.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: